Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbia, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to be 8... 7 showing (back in) and most likely 1 front in.

I was just out there yesterday, and there are concrete forms for 8 stalls, however, I found it interesting that there appeared to be 9 electrical conduit pipes.

IMG_20150817_152656883.jpg
IMG_20150817_152741233.jpg
IMG_20150817_152754024_HDR.jpg

And some more pictures from today (8/18/2015). Holy pipes, Batman!

View attachment 90972

Great picture!

From Left to Right:
  1. Three large conduits — Three phase power from Utility Transformer to Distribuition Center
  2. Four smaller conduits — Three phase power from Distribuition Center to each of 4 Supercharger Cabinets.
  3. Eight smaller conduits — Two DC outputs from each Supercharger Cabinet to two Charging Pedestals from each Supercharger Cabinet for eight Charging Pedestals total.

What are the chances of this being done by labor day weekend? We'll be driving thru that weekend.

If you're traveling E/W or W/E on I-70, you don't really need this charger. It's just 213 miles across the state of Missouri between Independence and St. Charles. We made it both ways with comfortable reserves just driving the speed limit.

But, if you find yourself wanting to spend the night in Columbia - the Tiger Hotel http://www.thetigerhotel.com/ has a HPWC that the bell-hop can show you around the back.

Agreed. Assuming that wcfinvader has an 85, and has can plan on a full/near-full charge heading into this leg of the trip.

We are actually going to Jefferson City that weekend but it would make it much more convenient if we didn't have to find a place to charge while we are down there but we'll make it work like we have up till now. I'm sure it'll definitely be done by Thanksgiving :biggrin:

Last edited:
Agreed. Assuming that wcfinvader has an 85, and has can plan on a full/near-full charge heading into this leg of the trip.

I agree that in the summer this is not needed...come winter, I feel people will be happy to know it is there. I have personaly made the gap four times in the last two months and it was smooth sailing each way. Even pulled into KC with 2 rated miles left after going 75 to 90 parts of the way in a P85D with passanger and loaded with several hundred pounds of gear...but heat needs and temps during the winter will take a toll. So it will be needed for quick stops and people going other places.

I drove this route in both directions in the last week in an 85 and had no problems. I had about 20% charge remaining after the end of each leg. I carefully monitored the Energy Trip tab and adjusted my speed so that I'd arrive with 20%. I generally drove at the speed limit, or slightly below, and then in the last one-third of the trip increased my speed to about five mph above the speed limit.

Having said that, it will be nice to see this Supercharger completed!

We are actually going to Jefferson City that weekend but it would make it much more convenient if we didn't have to find a place to charge while we are down there but we'll make it work like we have up till now. I'm sure it'll definitely be done by Thanksgiving :biggrin:

There is nowhere, practical, to charge in Jeff City. Our proud forward looking state capital...smh.

I agree that in the summer this is not needed...come winter, I feel people will be happy to know it is there. I have personaly made the gap four times in the last two months and it was smooth sailing each way. Even pulled into KC with 2 rated miles left after going 75 to 90 parts of the way in a P85D with passanger and loaded with several hundred pounds of gear...but heat needs and temps during the winter will take a toll. So it will be needed for quick stops and people going other places.

Definitely agree with this. Those winter winds and temps will make it very difficult STL-KC without it.

- - - Updated - - -

There is nowhere, practical, to charge in Jeff City. Our proud forward looking state capital...smh.

That's all Mike Kehoe, conspiring with Joe Machens.

If you're traveling E/W or W/E on I-70, you don't really need this charger. It's just 213 miles across the state of Missouri between Independence and St. Charles. We made it both ways with comfortable reserves just driving the speed limit.

But, if you find yourself wanting to spend the night in Columbia - the Tiger Hotel http://www.thetigerhotel.com/ has a HPWC that the bell-hop can show you around the back.

I also did it last week and had to do it at the speed limit and I HATED it... Many cars were passing me like I was standing still. Tessie does not like to be passed that way...

I was disappointed after all this (time and energy) that I missed the Columbia SC opening by perhaps just a few weeks. I guess it should have not been such a big surprise given Tesla's delay Hx in most things, and it's certainly no big deal in the bigger scheme of things - but I was hoping for it to have been ready, given communications with the SC Team. Maybe on some future trip I'll get to see it.

Just FYI - I did the Nevada City, CA to Ottawa, Canada run in 4 days, and then the return as well. I wish all of you local boys (and girls) the best with your new charging station. regards, Mark