Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cooma NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely that X could have backed in normally with the bikes? And isn't there a towing spot there anyway (the furthest sign that can be seen)? Little better than the ice-hole next to them.
Extremely poor behaviour. Warrants a name and shame!!! they're actually blocking three spots if you look at the image above they could have pulled right up or diagonally parked across two bays if for some reason the bike racks we're causing an issue. Regardless this is ICE-hole typical behaviour.

We need signs painted on the ground, like disabled parking - with maybe a lightning bolt and "For electric vehicles only. Danger. Do not attempt to charge petrol fuelled vehicles". "Scare 'em off" I say!

As a general comment, most ICErs don't realise when there is nothing painted on the ground and even if they notice it, they have no idea what a wall mounted destination charger is for. A supercharger is less excusable..

Also, I just wonder if the X driver here (who I don't know) was trying to keep more ICErs out of the Tesla bays, but left their vehicle (without mobile number on the windscreen?) instead of waiting in case some of the rest of us showed up?

The weird thing is that I don't think those bikes would have been in the way.
There's a fair bit of space behind the superchargers until the wall, I'm sure he/she could have gotten close enough to plug in.

Either way, not leaving mobile number is the worst offence.

Reactions: bradjc
On a similar subject Tesla needs to renegotiate with the carpark owners for the Cooma Supercharger so all 4 bays become dedicated Tesla charging only: currently only 2 are and the other 2 explicitly allow general parking for up to 60 minutes. This used to be fine when there weren’t many EVs around but it is problematic now. On Tuesday afternoon when I charged there I followed a hotted up ICE car into the carpark - owner grabbed one of those two not-dedicated parking spots (the other one was already ICEd) then jumped out and glared me down as I mucked around to get the one remaining spot. Carpark was only about 1/4 full and from regular experience there taking those two ICE-permitted spots by preference has become something of a thing with a particular demographic there. Maybe nothing will change if all 4 bays become officially Tesla-only but it’s certainly something of an issue now, at least over the winter months.
Surprisingly that's a council car park.

Probably a better move would be to see if they could lease dedicated space for a larger site - another council carpark at 117 Commissioner St looks like it could be good for a 6 or larger site to replace the current one (which is at 93 Commissioner St).

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Probably a better move would be to see if they could lease dedicated space for a larger site - another council carpark at 117 Commissioner St looks like it could be good for a 6 or larger site to replace the current one (which is at 93 Commissioner St).
Agreed. That would be a much better location, still only a block or so from Coles (if that’s your thing), close enough to cafes, toilets and so forth, and very much less likely to be ICEd than the current location.

Four bays in the main part of Cooma is nowhere near enough, even this winter (even after the NRMA site in Vale St gets up, which I think is only a couple of bays), so a larger site is definitely needed and taking more bays in that current location near Coles will only lead to even more passive-aggressive ICEing than happens there already (year round).

I
Does the signage comply with the NSW legislation relating to EV charging signage?
I would say two of the four spots do and the other two do not. And this is by design, to allow usage of non-evs in two bays.
Screenshot_20230908-073955.png

The two spaces have a standard no parking sign with an 'except for electric vehicle charging' clause.

even more passive-aggressive ICEing
There are residents in the Snowy Monaro LGA who seem to despise tourism and they see SC as a tourism facilitator.
I reckon Jindabyne will have a big problem with ICEing as the proposed site is probably the best of the bad spots. There is no good spot in Jindy unfotunately
Down by the lake, right next to the bowling club, the skate park and the public toilets

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
There are residents in the Snowy Monaro LGA who seem to despise tourism and they see SC as a tourism facilitator.
I reckon Jindabyne will have a big problem with ICEing as the proposed site is probably the best of the bad spots. There is no good spot in Jindy unfotunately
Down by the lake, right next to the bowling club, the skate park and the public toilets
A bad spot in which way?
Why are there no good spots?

Why are there no good spots?
Not a well lit area.
Not a lot of street parking in winter so those charging spots will have a high change of being iced
Away from the main areas at night.

There are no good spots because all the current parking areas closer to the shops etc are inadequate for even normal parking

It will need proper lighting and policing

And the other two stalls have Tesla signage that specially allows non-Teslas to park for 60min
(The same 2 exclusive/ 2 general signage exists at a number of early Tesla sites in regional areas).
View attachment 971825
The question is now some of these sites are getting greater use, what is the mechanism for altering the signage
Local council

But remember the locals there are in a decidedly bad state just now. Interlopers can't help but run more and more power lines through their communities. And they're butt ugly ones too. I smile a bit every time I hear a local accommodation provider has identified their guests were power line workers, refunded their accommodation, and told them to get out of town.

Reactions: dronus
Not a well lit area.
Not a lot of street parking in winter so those charging spots will have a high change of being iced
Away from the main areas at night.

There are no good spots because all the current parking areas closer to the shops etc are inadequate for even normal parking

It will need proper lighting and policing
You seem to think that Jindabyne has a high crime rate? Do you live there or know of the crime statistics? I can tell you that your thoughts or perceptions are incorrect.
In regards to supercharger icing, have you not watched or seen how superchargers function during extreme cold weather, not just -1 degrees at Jindabyne, which is a none event.
The planned location will be perfect for charging and will definitely not require special police patrols.

In regards to supercharger icing, have you not watched or seen how superchargers function during extreme cold weather, not just -1 degrees at Jindabyne, which is a none event.
Terminology clarification: ICEing an EV charger refers to a non-EV parking at or otherwise blocking access to a charging bay.

In the specific case of that carpark in Jindabyne it is pretty full pretty much of the time. I was in Jindabyne on Friday and had a walk around that carpark looking for any signs of Supercharger construction or pre-construction (I hadn’t been for a few weeks and hadn’t heard any updates since I was last there) - and there is nothing to see/report yet - and mid-morning on a Friday at what is one of the quietest times of the year in Jindabyne that carpark was still around 1/2 full.

I don’t know of any “better” location in Jindabyne, as far as somewhere that won’t get parked out, has easily walkable access to shopping/food/toilets, etc, but more fast charging everywhere from Cooma towards the ski resorts is needed - and soon - so if that’s where the Supercharger is going to be built then I would far rather that than nothing.