Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deming, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even in our MS75D it looks like we can make it through Ft Stockton without a SC, although much better when it is in place. Even driving very slowly it is still a lot faster than going up and around using I-40. Every summer we drive I-8/I-10 R/T coast to coast. This summer we went up through Phoenix and Flagstaff to I-40, then from OK city down to Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge to get back on I-10. Reverse on the way home. I am thinking that driving through Ft Stockton can be done by charging to 100%, then locking in behind a semi with the AP set to 1 it should be fairly easy to make the East bound drive, although the West bound will be a little more of a challenge, but doable.

Anyone with a 75 or larger battery done this yet?

Pretty much done as of Saturday night.

IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg

Even in our MS75D it looks like we can make it through Ft Stockton without a SC, although much better when it is in place. Even driving very slowly it is still a lot faster than going up and around using I-40. Every summer we drive I-8/I-10 R/T coast to coast. This summer we went up through Phoenix and Flagstaff to I-40, then from OK city down to Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge to get back on I-10. Reverse on the way home. I am thinking that driving through Ft Stockton can be done by charging to 100%, then locking in behind a semi with the AP set to 1 it should be fairly easy to make the East bound drive, although the West bound will be a little more of a challenge, but doable.

Anyone with a 75 or larger battery done this yet?
Yes, two times each direction (Ozona/Van Horn), in our 2016 90D. Worst outcome was arriving at Van Horn westbound with 16 miles left. Very likely your car will be providing speed warnings in that direction, but if you maintain 65 mph or slower during at least a portion of the run, you should be OK.

The new SC's at Tucson, Wilcox, and Deming will, from a practical standpoint, fill in the I-10 gap, at least for us.

Looks like all it needs is the line transformer! Which utility serves Deming? El Paso Electric?

I thought the same thing... but there's no pad. Then I realized that the small white boxes ARE the transformers. Each SC cabinet has its own transformer. Instead of one large transformer there are four small ones. So this SC appears to be 100% complete. Just waiting inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I thought the same thing... but there's no pad. Then I realized that the small white boxes ARE the transformers. Each SC cabinet has its own transformer. Instead of one large transformer there are four small ones. So this SC appears to be 100% complete. Just waiting inspection.
Those are small, dry-type auto-transformers (single winding) designed solely for boosting the 480 Volt side. There has to be a larger, oil filled transformer somewhere, maybe overhead? Normally, this number of charging pods uses a 500 kVA line transformer. Not sure I've ever seen a SC site served from an overhead supply. Maybe in this case the utility supplies the precast pad as well as the transformer. Regardless, seems very close to completion.

Transformer? Maybe they will torpedo under the street and get power directly from the sub station. I too, haven't seen any conduit run 'ups' for a transformer + pad close by; and with the utility right across the street maybe there is another way we haven't seen yet. Time will tell.

I may be confused, but #37 shows 3 new style supercharger cabinets, and #43 shows 4 old style. Am I looking at thus wrong?

Good eye.

Looks to me that the photo in post #37 has the same units, but only cabinets 1-3 were installed, and the later photo in #43 was taken after the crew had installed cabinet 4. Notice the gap and conduit in the concrete where cab 4 goes in post #37. That space is filled, with a cabinet in post 43.

reddy said:

Good eye.

Looks to me that the photo in post #37 has the same units, but only cabinets 1-3 were installed, and the later photo in #43 was taken after the crew had installed cabinet 4. Notice the gap and conduit in the concrete where cab 4 goes in post #37. That space is filled, with a cabinet in post 43.

You are right, thanks. #37 has the fourth dry autotransformer.

With the substation across the street, my earlier theory about the function of the dry transformers is clearly incorrect. Assuming the distribution feeder does originate from there (that is, it is not a transmission only substation), the line loss in Voltage would be quite minimal. Could it be that these dry transformers are always used for the 135 kW rated rectifiers?

True, it's harder to tell the difference once the rear panels are on. And the front panel/doors look pretty much identical to me. But if you look closely, it appears that the ventilation hood mounted on the rear of the new 135 kW units is grey, rather than the old white color. That might provide a clue when looking at installed units.