Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with the construction crew last night in Denton, and got some great info. Because of rain this weekend, they are working 16 hour days trying to finish before the rain started this morning. All concrete work was finished last night:
attachment.php?attachmentid=99573&d=1446212163.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=99574&d=1446212203.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=99575&d=1446212230.jpg

The last electrical inspection was passedyesterday & the transformer has been connected and is energized! There is still 5% of the work to be done today (landscaping,) but they said they can do that in the rain.

Tesla still needs to set a date to inspect & commission the site (open to the public,) but construction will be completed today!

attachment.php?attachmentid=99576&d=1446212530.jpg

It will depend on where the Tesla tech is coming from. It's not impossible that someone will be driving from the west coast and won't come out until both are ready.

Do they normally send techs from a service center if one is available? If so, it'd be much easier to send someone up from Austin than driving out all the way from California. Is the the visit from the tech required even if the Supercharger has power turned on? That is, are you unable to charge your car before it has been blessed by the Tesla tech?

Do they normally send techs from a service center if one is available? If so, it'd be much easier to send someone up from Austin than driving out all the way from California. Is the the visit from the tech required even if the Supercharger has power turned on? That is, are you unable to charge your car before it has been blessed by the Tesla tech?
No, supercharger techs are different from service center techs. And yes, a tech has to be there to inaugurate it. I don't think they have to drive out from California, though.

Good to know, thanks. I wasn't sure if perhaps they had trained some service center techs to test and inaugurate Superchargers.

I thought so too. I was told that the person fixing the Weatherford SC when it went down in July was driving from the Dallas service center.

It should be an easy trip to do Denton. Amarillo will be harder to get to, since they don't have a supercharger in Wichita Falls or Vernon (hint, hint).

They are working into the night to get Amarillo done, should be done tonight or tomorrow AM. At that point will be waiting on Xcel Energy to turn on the transformer power, and Tesla to commission.

Either way, Texas appears to be getting 2 new SCs the first week of November.

I thought so too. I was told that the person fixing the Weatherford SC when it went down in July was driving from the Dallas service center.

It should be an easy trip to do Denton. Amarillo will be harder to get to, since they don't have a supercharger in Wichita Falls or Vernon (hint, hint).

They are working into the night to get Amarillo done, should be done tonight or tomorrow AM. At that point will be waiting on Xcel Energy to turn on the transformer power, and Tesla to commission.

Either way, Texas appears to be getting 2 new SCs the first week of November.

Yep.
Two new Texas Superchargers will be opened in November.

I really doubt Denton will be inaugurated this weekend due to local weather/rain, and there is still too much to do.
Miracles do happen, but everything would have to happen at the exact right syncopated time -- and that very rarely happens.

Final construction permits need to be signed off, concrete needs to cure (before cars start driving on it), forms have to be stripped/removed, ground back-filled and leveled, fence gates have to be hung, posts have to be painted, landscaping needs to be completed, power has to switched on by local power company, electric meter has to be set, tech has to fire SC up and do some testing, yadda, yadda.
My guess would be it will open sometime later in the coming week (at the earliest), it will not be operable this weekend.

BTW -- Nice Pics Jay!

And whoever visits... See if you can get them to deny they are going to Victoria when finished...
[emoji28]

Okay, if no one wants to ask about other locations the crew is working in the future, maybe at least the subject of sites up for bid, including those the contractor saw but chose not to bid on, could be brought up?
This is how we learned about Elko, Wendover, Springfield... from a conversation in Louisiana.

Monday update. All inspections have passed except the final. It failed with 3 minor items and the door handle needs to be fixed. He said if it's fixed today, he will come back tomorrow:

20151102_112726-1.jpg

20151102_114303-1.jpg

Each disconnect needs to be numbered & have placards:
20151102_112915.jpg

The landscaping was installed during the rain, but is finished:
20151102_113224-1.jpg

20151102_113120-1.jpg

20151102_113512.jpg

The meter is in, system has power, and is ready for it's first visitor. All numbers are zero currently:
20151102_113236-1.jpg

20151102_113252-1.jpg

I asked him if there was ANY way I could plug-in to see if the system works. He was also curious, but said he can't allow it until the system is finished and he signs off on it.
20151102_114143-1.jpg

20151102_114416-1.jpg

I fully expect these items to be completed today, inspection tomorrow, commissioned in the afternoon, live tomorrow around 3pm. Let's see...

Attachments

• 20151102_112726-1.jpg
    20151102_112726-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 20151102_114143-1.jpg
    20151102_114143-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 87
This kicks ass, can't wait to use this Supercharger the next time I am passing through Dallas or Fort Worth! Great to see how quickly this was wrapped up and completed, given the state it was in when I passed through less than aweek ago!

Last edited: