TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Emporia, KS

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by jeffro01, Jul 21, 2015.

1. cwginac

cwginac Member

This would be my worry. I used to live in KC and would drive to/from Hillsboro, KS every weekend. More often than not I found myself driving through a bad thunderstorm. I live in NV now, but I can tell you that any rain and wind makes a HUGE impact on range.

2. phoglite

phoglite New Member

Yep, I was caught in a line of storms moving east from Topeka to KC... I continuously got the “slow down to make it to your destination” warning after a few minutes in the downpours.

3. slowb

slowb Member

As someone who frequently travels from KC to Wichita, a Supercharger in Emporia would be awesome. The Topeka location isn't terribly convenient and getting to ICT with 30-50 miles of range isn't ideal, especially if we have something to do when we arrive. Hopefully they are able to get something figured-out!

4. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

Agreed. Made the Top-ict route in February this year and it was a bit of a pucker. 15-20 miles left I think.

5. OPEVdriver

OPEVdriver Member

Agreed! I definitely prefer to go through Emporia from the SW suburbs to get to Wichita, and the Topeka SC is not terribly convenient. There is now one CHAdeMO connection at the Wamego service island, but I don’t want to invest in an adapter (which shows out of stock online anyway) and take the chance that it may not be available. Have traveled all over the Midwest with my midrange 3, and find this to be a big hole in coverage.

• Like x 1
  6. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

Tesla has an approved permit. The permit number is BP-19-00918 and will have 8 stations. ... closer to in front of Dollar General - 1330 Industrial Rd because the easement has more space. I talked with Kory last Wednesday, and he provided me with the permit number Monday, 9/30/19.

Thanks @ScooterJim

supercharge.info

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Good to see the dot (and you) back.
    A splitter between Wichita, KS and Olathe, KS that will help towards completing I-35 and, more practically, allow people to avoid a diversion to Topeka, KS.

• Like x 1
  8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Not a very good location but given the much, much needed gap fill it's better than nothing...

Jeff

9. GleanerC

GleanerC Supporting Member

Well shoot. Agreed, not the best spot. Was hoping for something on the north side of the interstate with all the conveniences there. Oh well. Glad to see the big gap getting filled.

• Like x 2
  10. starman27

starman27 Member

Super odd they couldn't find a suitable sport on the north side of the highway by all of the hotels, Walmart, and food...

11. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Keep in mind that someone from CA picked that site most likely and has absolutely zero idea where it should have went... :) Having lived in KS but now live in CA, I can see why someone thought that was a good spot... LOL :)

Jeff

• Funny x 1
  12. starman27

starman27 Member

Lol. To a degree I get that, but I'm a native Minnesotan (and therefore know very little of KS), and it only took me 2 minutes on Google Maps to see that there might be a slightly more optimal placement...

• Like x 1
  13. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Totally get that only you cared to look as someone from that department might simply be trying to fill a line on a spreadsheet so to speak... It's also possible they looked there and couldn't find any willing players, we'll never know...

Jeff

14. ScooterJim

ScooterJim Member

Hi y'all. I am the one who found the permit and lived in Emporia 30 years ago. Now I live in Atlanta metro area. When I was in Emporia this summer, I asked the owner of Applebees if he was interested in allowing Tesla to build superchargers on their property and he said yes. I found out the franchise that own the Wichita Applebees also owns the Applebees in Hays, and both have superchargers at those locations. I thought they maybe the same franchise. They are not. After two months, I called the Chief Inspector of Code Services if Tesla applied for a permit at Applebees in Emporia. He replied Tesla did apply for a permit but not at Applebees. It was in a strip mall on Industrial Rd. In discussions about the exact location, I marked on Google map where it will probably be located. I am waiting for a sketch and a copy of the permit from the inspector. I have friends in Emporia and asked them to take pictures once construction begins.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Emporia, KS

Along Primary Interstates: I-35
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-35

To: Olathe, KS - 94.6 miles
    Diversion: 2.4 miles*
    To: Bethany, MO - 205.3 miles

An important splitter between Wichita, KS and Olathe, KS. Need Emporia, KS open and a good splitter between Laredo, TX and San Marcos, TX to complete I-35.

Was looking at my post from 2017. Some things have changed:

- There is now Olathe, KS and Bethany, MO before West Des Moines, IA.
    - Diversion no longer needed to Independence, MO
    - Fastest routes to Osage Beach, MO and Rolla, MO are via Olathe, KS
    - Additional "direct" Supercharger:
    US-50:
    To: Poncha Spring, CO - 596.5 miles

* Just because Supercharge.info/Mapbox thinks it should do a weird loop back when getting back on I-35.

• Like x 2
  16. ScooterJim

ScooterJim Member

Here is the permit and location of the superchargers. My guess of the location was correct.
    img032.jpg img033.jpg img028 (2).jpg img029 (2).jpg img030 (2).jpg

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  17. GleanerC

GleanerC Supporting Member

If I’m reading the fourth image correctly this will be a Version 3 Supercharger. :)

• Like x 1
  18. pcwiz49

pcwiz49 Member

This is great news! I live in Olathe and usually have to go through Topeka in cold weather to go to Wichita. Hope construction starts soon.

19. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

And will save a couple bucks on the tolls, too!

20. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

I’d agree with that assessment. In addition to the v3 note, there’s also:
    • Only two supercharger cabinets for 8 stalls
    • These appear to be the larger form-factor of the v3 units
    We’ll soon find out for certain!