Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This suddenly appeared:
New York, NY - Mott Street Supercharger | Tesla
If Tesla is beginning to do as few as two Urban Superchargers, I cannot help but wonder if we could influence our Destination Chargers to have these. Clearly we need to ask Tesla about it, but this could be a decent permanent solution, assuming there is a way to beat the permitting issues. So long as they're located where there is food and necessary facilities available what more could we ask?

Spoke with Herb Rabinowitz (Manager) and Christy (attendant?) at Fort Stockton RV Park today.
According to Christy, four of us have charged there so far. (Herb's nephew in Seattle owns a Tesla).
I sent a letter to Herb and Christy and forwarded the appropriate information to the Charging Partners / Tesla site along with a note and my contact information. Herb already has a spot picked out to put the HPWC. I did advise him that it would be best served by a 100 amp breaker, and I gave him a short history of the proposed Tesla SC in Fort Stockton.
Fort Stockton electricity rates here:
Texas Electric Rates in Fort Stockton | Choose your Power!
Sorry I did not read this post carefully enough. I sent a Charging Partner suggestion including the Urban Supercharging idea. The more of us who do that the better.

jbcarioca: I filled this out with the contact info for the FD RV park, sent it on Monday. No word yet. Will check with RV Park Monday.
Will do the same for a couple of Balmorhea spots: City Hall, Buck's convenience store.
If you can post the contact information for both, others can send too.
For Fort Stockton it is easy because there is a website for the RV park. I nearly put in Flying J too, but I suspect that might be harder and they're probably already in contact anyway. Either way I think we should pitch as much as we can for Urban Superchargers since they're showing up in places that cannot support teh conventional Supercharger infrastructure and seem to be much simpler for permitting.

Talked to the City Clerk in Balmorhea today.
Here is the body of the email I sent her:

Hi Sandra!
Thank you for the discussion today.
I have charged at City Hall several times - very convenient, Thank you.
The batteries in Teslas can accept a charge rate much faster than the 14-50s we have been using at City Hall.
Tesla can provide faster charging stations at places like Balmorhea. See below, please.
At destinations like Balmorhea, the proposal is for Tesla owners to use the built-in cord on the Tesla High Powered Wall Connector (HPWC)
It looks like this:
cid:B36143CF-8779-4893-B473-6B1B29A58090

I think Tesla pays someone to come and install the Tesla HPWC.
The best option for charging will require the City to provide a 100 amp breaker to feed the HPWC. The City would continue to pay for the electricity. The Tesla owners are more than happy to continue to pay you for the privilege of charging there. I have no idea what Tesla itself will require, they will contact you with the details.
Here is a link to what Tesla calls “destination chargers”:
Destination Charging | Tesla
and more specifics:
Charging Partners | Tesla
Please be aware that Tesla announced about 5 years ago its plan to install its own charging station along I-10 near a hotel in Fort Stockton.
I have been waiting 4 years for this Tesla Supercharger. I lost patience with Tesla, and that prompted me to call you today.
(I suspect the delay has something to do with auto dealers.)
If you don’t mind, I would like to drop by and meet you in person the next time I go through Balmorhea. Is that acceptable?
Thank you for your attention!
Charlie Mayer
361-790-4579

I just checked it out on the map. When I did a search for city limits of Fort Stockton it looks like the RV park is outside of the city limits. This would mean that the county of Pecos would control the permit. If they are any easier than the city for approval of the permit, maybe the idea of the RV park hosting a Two-unit Temp Supercharger or even a set of Urban chargers maybe would work. just a thought

Reactions: jbcarioca
LCR1:
73 miles Balmorhea to Van Horn
164 miles Balmorhea to Ozona
115 miles Balmorhea to Iraan

And... you'll have to consider driving speed, temp, and wind, of course.
So the real answer is: it depends. (Sorry for the smart aleck answer - can't help it.)

Drive between I-10 and Iraan is interesting: limestone hills with pump jacks and storage tanks for oil, with wind generators towering over all.
Wonder how much income is produced by that combination. And it's mile after mile. Amazing.

I just checked it out on the map. When I did a search for city limits of Fort Stockton it looks like the RV park is outside of the city limits. This would mean that the county of Pecos would control the permit. If they are any easier than the city for approval of the permit, maybe the idea of the RV park hosting a Two-unit Temp Supercharger or even a set of Urban chargers maybe would work. just a thought
Many, if not most, rural Texas counties will not require permits on a county level. Ask about it and they will look at you strangely and tell you none is required. They just don't have the resources to do the inspections.

Progress Report #2:
Received this a short time ago:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your email and especially for your patience. As you and the TMC members have been following, we are actively working on siting a Fort Stockton Supercharger station, and it hasn’t been an easy area for us, for several reasons. Not an excuse by any means; please know and pass along that we are working to get Superchargers installed as quickly as possible.

In parallel, we are working to bring Tesla Destination Charging to Fort Stockton to provide support as we can as quickly as we can (permitting timelines and installation are typically faster for Destination Charging than Superchargers). While Destination Charging is not our ultimate solution for Fort Stockton, we feel this will be helpful in the meantime, especially for those going south of I-10. An hour or so of charge should make the trip between Ozona and Van Horn feasible for many owners, and will provide another option to the Energy House in Iraan.

We appreciate the anticipation for this Station and understand the importance of connecting this section of I-10. We’ll follow up with you once we have progress to share on Tesla charging in Fort Stockton. If there is a way we think your collective support can be helpful for us in Fort Stockton, we will be sure to let you know.

We recognize your support and dedication to Tesla—thank you very much.

The Tesla Supercharger Team

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Interactive Supercharger Map

They don't service the area. They need to have access for maintenance etc. Their closest HQ is San Antonio (300 miles) They also work on a fee basis that needs to make a profit, a $30,000 unit with a 1,000-2,000 use break even before maintenance is figured isn't the best idea for the middle of west Texas.

Progress Report #2:
Received this a short time ago:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your email and especially for your patience. As you and the TMC members have been following, we are actively working on siting a Fort Stockton Supercharger station, and it hasn’t been an easy area for us, for several reasons. Not an excuse by any means; please know and pass along that we are working to get Superchargers installed as quickly as possible.

In parallel, we are working to bring Tesla Destination Charging to Fort Stockton to provide support as we can as quickly as we can (permitting timelines and installation are typically faster for Destination Charging than Superchargers). While Destination Charging is not our ultimate solution for Fort Stockton, we feel this will be helpful in the meantime, especially for those going south of I-10. An hour or so of charge should make the trip between Ozona and Van Horn feasible for many owners, and will provide another option to the Energy House in Iraan.

We appreciate the anticipation for this Station and understand the importance of connecting this section of I-10. We’ll follow up with you once we have progress to share on Tesla charging in Fort Stockton. If there is a way we think your collective support can be helpful for us in Fort Stockton, we will be sure to let you know.

We recognize your support and dedication to Tesla—thank you very much.

The Tesla Supercharger Team

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Interactive Supercharger Map
The typical Tesla Destination Charger will do me, personally, no good. If they install one at a hotel requiring a stay to use it, that is no help at all. Do they understand this?

Wow, 600 posts for a supercharger that isn’t even under construction. This has to be some sort of record . I wish the supercharger team could tell us what the real problem is so we could try to help. Keep charging guys, that windmill has to give up eventually. I’m willing to chuck in a few bucks for the cause if the crowdfunding gets off the ground. I may never use it, but others will, and that will make it worth it.

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca