Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Graffi: from the other thread:

I suggest Ozona-Iraan (50 mi), then Iraan-Van Horn (181 miles). Only adds 5 miles.
You can read about the Iraan oil fields while you get your 50 miles back. Library is only one block away.
(Or you could mosey to the Mesquite Wood bbq or Old House Cafe.)

Iraan has a J-1772 up to 70 amps. It gets picky sometimes and tries to limit charge rate, so beware.
Ozona SC has had issues with unnecessary throttling. The handicapped slot is the only one that works consistently.
Again, beware - watch it on your app.

Brand new route option: Ozona/Iraan - Fort Davis - Van Horn. Two new HPWCs up to 72 amps in Fort Davis.
Adds 50 or 60 miles to the trip, but it is a nicer drive. Hotel, restaurants, etc. in FD. No oil field traffic.

Van Horn - FD: 80 miles
FD - Iraan: 152 miles
FD - Ozona: 197 miles

I did get a response from Tesla about I-10, I-20, I-30 and I-40 all being impassable using superchargers here was the response:

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team.
We are constantly working on the expansion of our Supercharger Network. Having started this process late 2013, we are now at 1130 Supercharger Stations built today and are far from done. If there are any set backs due to permits or technical difficulties and consequently delays to opening dates, we keep our customers updated through our website.
As for our Supercharger networks, unfortunately, we do not have any updates to provide regarding the ETA of any particular Supercharger site under construction or in planning stage. There are a number of factors in play such as local regulation, power companies, real estate and financing.
In addition we are encouraging business and real estate owners to become Tesla charging partners through our Destination Charging Program. We equip them with free Wall Connectors to ensure a higher density of charging opportunities which are available for all Tesla customers and can be found in your navigation system.
We are diligently working on the expansion of our charging network and anticipate other stake holders in the power and transportation industry as well as local communities to increase their contribution of providing more charging opportunities for electric vehicles as well.

May I also suggest checking out alternative charging opportunities via plugshare.com.

Not sure this says much, but I figured I would make it public. I am much more interested in San Antonio getting a supercharger, but I feel like at this point we are all in the same boat. Good luck to all.

I did get a response from Tesla about I-10, I-20, I-30 and I-40 all being impassable using superchargers here was the response:

We are constantly working on the expansion of our Supercharger Network....

In addition we are encouraging business and real estate owners to become Tesla charging partners through our Destination Charging Program. We equip them with free Wall Connectors to ensure a higher density of charging opportunities which are available for all Tesla customers and can be found in your navigation system....

I thought that Tesla no longer offered "FREE" HPWC's or Installation through this program. Maybe just the HPWC and "Partner" has to pay for the Install???

I still do not understand why one of the Truck Stop gas stations in Fort Stockton does not join this program. They could even "Welcome Tesla Owners" to plug-in, then come inside for an hour to enjoy their fine dining and shopping in Air Conditioned comfort or use the showers. They could also, on the sign, ask users to let the cashier know they are charging and pay a $1.00 flat fee for the electricity.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I thought that Tesla no longer offered "FREE" HPWC's or Installation through this program. Maybe just the HPWC and "Partner" has to pay for the Install???

I still do not understand why one of the Truck Stop gas stations in Fort Stockton does not join this program. They could even "Welcome Tesla Owners" to plug-in, then come inside for an hour to enjoy their fine dining and shopping in Air Conditioned comfort or use the showers. They could also, on the sign, ask users to let the cashier know they are charging and pay a $1.00 flat fee for the electricity.

Take a long time to pay back a $500 WC plus $1000-$2500 installation at $1 per use. And they have to cover the electricity as well.

The objective of Destination Chargers for a business is to attract customers... not make $$$ directly from the HPWC.
Sounds great on paper.

Except for a hotel or high end restaurant (possibly a biz like parking lot), I don’t see it at the prices folks are currently willing to pay.

How many additional soft drinks or truck stop burritos are they going to sell?

Let’s assume they would like to pay off the cost in a year. Just a rough number totally pulled out of my... That’s $5.49 per day. Not including electricity or maintenance.

We are constantly working on the expansion of our Supercharger Network. Having started this process late 2013, we are now at 1130 Supercharger Stations built today and are far from done. If there are any set backs due to permits or technical difficulties and consequently delays to opening dates, we keep our customers updated through our website.
As for our Supercharger networks, unfortunately, we do not have any updates to provide regarding the ETA of any particular Supercharger site under construction or in planning stage. There are a number of factors in play such as local regulation, power companies, real estate and financing.
In addition we are encouraging business and real estate owners to become Tesla charging partners through our Destination Charging Program. We equip them with free Wall Connectors to ensure a higher density of charging opportunities which are available for all Tesla customers and can be found in your navigation system.
We are diligently working on the expansion of our charging network and anticipate other stake holders in the power and transportation industry as well as local communities to increase their contribution of providing more charging opportunities for electric vehicles as well.
May I also suggest checking out alternative charging opportunities via plugshare.com.

Not sure this says much, but I figured I would make it public. I am much more interested in San Antonio getting a supercharger, but I feel like at this point we are all in the same boat. Good luck to all.
I hate stupid boiler plate answers, that assumes the recipient is generally ignorant and has not done the research and also almost never addresses the specific concern raised.

Sounds great on paper.

Except for a hotel or high end restaurant (possibly a biz like parking lot), I don’t see it at the prices folks are currently willing to pay.

How many additional soft drinks or truck stop burritos are they going to sell?

Let’s assume they would like to pay off the cost in a year. Just a rough number totally pulled out of my... That’s $5.49 per day. Not including electricity or maintenance.
Gas stations right now break even on gasoline sales, maybe including powering and maintaining the pumps, maybe not.
It gets bellies and cravings into the store (so does the restroom and few places in the US charge for those). They sell things at profitable markup to satisfy those bellies and cravings.
Sell me some fast Wi-Fi while I’m there if you can’t think of anything else; for Pete’s sake charging is a Literal. Roadside. Attraction.

I’m gonna give some destination a free Sig Black HPWC, do I have to help them figure out how to monetize a captive traveler from a decent demographic?

FIREWORKS
SORGHUM
TOWELS

Last edited:

No reasonable business owner would expect to break even on an investment in one year. Something like 3-5 years is more reasonable. That being said, all it takes is one or two extra families per day ordering a meal or some drinks and they easily make back the $5. If I had a business in this area I would definitely pay to have an HPWC or two installed, especially because a lack of viable options in the area. It would be a captive customer base - anyone who wanted to travel west on I-10 would be forced to stop at my business or take a significant detour.

as stations right now break even on gasoline sales, maybe including powering and maintaining the pumps, maybe not.
It gets bellies and cravings into the store (so does the restroom and few places in the US charge for those). They sell things at profitable markup to satisfy those bellies and cravings.

According to the national association of convenience stores - The Price Per Gallon | NACS – Your Business – Fuels Resource Center

Using the five-year average markup of 20.7 cents, the typical retailer averages about 5 cents per gallon in profit. (Retailer costs to sell fuel include credit card fees, utilities, rent and amortization of equipment.)

If this is correct - I fill up a car in 5 minutes adding 15 gallons to the tank they make $0.75 profit (after retailer costs to sell fuel) on me. Sometimes the station has a line.

If electricity is $0.12 (national average) and someone is charging at 48A/208V they can use $1.20 electricity in an hour and receive a flat $1?

Sure, they make a lot on the other stuff. But there is some profit in the gas sales.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
In a normal business environment, yes I would agree that a destination charger may help attract customer traffic.

But west Texas is not a normal business environment. Crappy hotels in horrible little towns get $500 a night and are fully occupied.

Bottom line is we need destination chargers much more than the businesses need us.

As a group, I think we're better served handling this on our own out here - Tesla can't do it. Or won't.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Most of us probably don't realize just how overcrowded West Texas towns like Pecos can be, nor how unpleasantly industrial the traffic is...not to mention the new swarms of mild earthquakes.

City of Fort Stockton informed me just now that a permit was issued, for electrical work, for Tesla, at the WalMart.
I spoke with the manager of the WalMart a few minutes ago.

His story:
A team from "Corporate" showed up and shared with him pictures and layouts of a Supercharger.
"They look like big red gas pumps".
The site is surveyed, laid out, and awaiting construction start.
Start is within 30 days.

How about that!

City of Fort Stockton informed me just now that a permit was issued, for electrical work, for Tesla, at the WalMart.
I spoke with the manager of the WalMart a few minutes ago.

His story:
A team from "Corporate" showed up and shared with him pictures and layouts of a Supercharger.
"They look like big red gas pumps".
The site is surveyed, laid out, and awaiting construction start.
Start is within 30 days.

How about that!
Hey Charlie is this April 1 or is that real?:confused:

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and jstack6