Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Forks ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0527.jpg
Grand Forks Still iced

FAA140CF-5559-43F4-B7F7-A5C7E197C470.jpeg
Haha last winter my snow pile in the yard felt like it was that big, finally breaking down and getting a snowblower this winter, maybe I’ll bring it over to clear the site..

Was hoping anyway they would move it closer to the Starbucks/Q’doba/Jimmy Johns... I think Targets snow removal crew would prefer that too. They’ll have to find another area to pile the snow up...

I do wonder how they picked that spot in the parking lot. Where would the (hefty) power feed come from? I expect some serious lengthy trenching and either asphalt cut-and-patch or drilling to get the feed power cable into the island. The closest thing I see to a transformer is hiding in the bushes where the driveway past Best Buy meets the curve of 38th Street between Valvoline and the sidewalk, just to the left of your pic.

OTOH, your choice seems better - between Culvers and Starbucks on 32nd (81) there's a big green box beside the sidewalk, and another collection of boxes near Starbucks along the sidewalk...

Reactions: Jake C
Should bring Cybertruck up to do a little field testing.

Actually, I've been thinking about that. Here's my math.

Cybertruck 100% range when new = 400miles.
Towing 5000 pounds half the range for an X, and the truck can pull 15000, but lets just say 1/2. So 200 mile range.
Winter (real winter) halves the range for most of us. Leaving the Cybertruck as a work truck that might get 100 miles of range.

I understand that it works fine for some things, but as a work truck, I still have doubts. I think it should have an option for a Schwartzpack, or something, where it gets -at least- 1000 miles of range, hopefully more. Or an option for an onboard "as you drive" generator (yes, gas/diesel). Perhaps both.

Maybe EVs should have a second range rating. Something at full GCVW and -40 (so it's the same in F or C to eliminate confusion) keeping the cab at room temperature (21/72). THAT would be an interesting rating to see. My guess (fear?) is that the cybertruck would not make it from one supercharger to the next.

Actually, I've been thinking about that. Here's my math.

Cybertruck 100% range when new = 400miles.
Towing 5000 pounds half the range for an X, and the truck can pull 15000, but lets just say 1/2. So 200 mile range.
Winter (real winter) halves the range for most of us. Leaving the Cybertruck as a work truck that might get 100 miles of range.

I understand that it works fine for some things, but as a work truck, I still have doubts. I think it should have an option for a Schwartzpack, or something, where it gets -at least- 1000 miles of range, hopefully more. Or an option for an onboard "as you drive" generator (yes, gas/diesel). Perhaps both.

Maybe EVs should have a second range rating. Something at full GCVW and -40 (so it's the same in F or C to eliminate confusion) keeping the cab at room temperature (21/72). THAT would be an interesting rating to see. My guess (fear?) is that the cybertruck would not make it from one supercharger to the next.
I think you are greatly overestimating how many people drive long distances at temperatures of -40.

I think you are greatly overestimating how many people drive long distances at temperatures of -40.
While I agree with the thought, yes -40F/C only applies to a very small margin of people. I live in ND and -33F is the coldest I’ve driven a Tesla in over two winters. 20F is probably a better temperature benchmark. Or maybe even 32F.

While I agree with the thought, yes -40F/C only applies to a very small margin of people. I live in ND and -33F is the coldest I’ve driven a Tesla in over two winters. 20F is probably a better temperature benchmark. Or maybe even 32F.

-40 (so it's the same in F or C to eliminate confusion)
room temperature (21/72)

I was trying to make it easier by choosing temperature descriptions that work in either F or C. I agree -10 or -15 is likely a better temperature to use. :)

I was trying to make it easier by choosing temperature descriptions that work in either F or C. I agree -10 or -15 is likely a better temperature to use. :)
I see what you did there, -10 or -15 C or F? Go with the most logical metric temp. Forget the US and their backward set of units. Using -40 that almost no one drives in will artificially make all EVs look worse.

My observation, from a few limited highway road trips - at around -5C to -10C (23F to 14F) is that at a not uncomfortable 20C cabin (68ºF) and about 105km/h (65mph) I was using about 1.4km of indicated range for every 1km I drove. So a 400km (90%of battery) charge should give me about 285km of real range (or about 175mi). So basically, almost 3 hours highway driving. That's enough for Winnipeg to Grand Forks, but not to Fargo in winter. (Without Aero wheels)

I ran across a website selling insulated inside covers for the glass roof to reduce cabin heat loss in very cold weather - I wonder if that really makes a difference in mileage.

If I were suggesting a realistic "winter endurance standard" I would suggest using either -10C or 15F which encompasses most winter road trip weather. Or... publish also the 0C/32F expectation as well.

Reactions: VIKING26