Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hines, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where have you heard that they are supposed to release a NA CCS adapter this year?
There was an update list for 2020 that had it on there somewhere. I’ve been trying to find where I saw it. It seemed largely aspirational (mostly listed FSD features and you know how timely those are) but I’m still holding out hope. Nothing solid yet announced. But even CHAdeMO is going to be way better at that stop. I haven’t gone that way yet since they put up the station. It’d be interesting to see how close it gets to 50kW. The only stations I’ve used my adapter at have been Electrify America, and since they’re charging by the minute the most I’ve gotten is about 36kW.

It’d be interesting to see how close it gets to 50kW. The only stations I’ve used my adapter at have been Electrify America, and since they’re charging by the minute the most I’ve gotten is about 36kW.
Not sure what the "per minute" pricing structure has to do with it, but mid to high 30s is about normal for a CHAdeMO adapter if you're charging with a mostly empty battery. Because the adapter is amperage limited, as the battery gets fuller and the pack voltage goes up, the charge rate will actually increase. So you don't get that close to 50 kW until you're up near 90% full, at which point the battery starts tapering the charging below 50 kW.

Not sure what the "per minute" pricing structure has to do with it, but mid to high 30s is about normal for a CHAdeMO adapter if you're charging with a mostly empty battery. Because the adapter is amperage limited, as the battery gets fuller and the pack voltage goes up, the charge rate will actually increase. So you don't get that close to 50 kW until you're up near 90% full, at which point the battery starts tapering the charging below 50 kW.
That's good to know. I've never bothered charging that long at one of them since I was just getting enough to get home or to an actual supercharger. I always figured they were limiting it to about 36 so it'd take longer to charge, since they were charging by the minute.

Apparently this one in Burns charges by the kWh so I'm looking forward to using it the first time hopefully soon. Only one guy has bothered to check in on Plugshare with a Tesla and use the CHAdeMO and he didn't give any info as to what it got up to.

Yeah the strategy to minimize charging time with a CHAdeMO adapter is flipped from the norm of supercharger use. For example, if you only need to add 20% to make your journey, then it'd be faster to charge from 70 to 90% than it would be to go from 20 to 40%. This is opposite to using a supercharger, where it'd be faster to add the 20% when starting at the lower SOC. If your route offers multiple choices of CHAdeMO station along the way, it may be worthwhile keeping this difference in mind when planning your charging stops.

fyi for those on this thread... the chademo in burns is working (charged there a few weeks ago) and in the same location as the old telsa charger (still there too). Just a side note, this location on the whole is terrible. A model x charging next to me got robbed while I was there once, and I also caught a really shady person walking around my car and looking in the windows once. The location is basically a back, non-lit, alley in a low-income neighborhood and there is almost no traffic esp at night. So it is a prime spot to take advantage of expensive cars.
Some mentioned in the past that there was a police station across the street so they felt safe... that was actually an abandoned building with a police sign that never got taken down is all... fwiw though, that is now gone and it looks like someone has taken over that building.
We have charged there 4 or 5 times and always go to check on the car at least twice while we are plugged in there. esp with how long everyone knows the cars are unattended for.

Tons of activity on the permit. Guessing this is under construction now, possibly even nearing completion. Problem is nobody is ever driving through to check...
Permit was issued 2020-07-20. So, it's been ~10 days. Certainly long enough for construction to have started, though no guarantee. Sometimes there's a wait of a few months before ground is actually broken. In the Inspections section, there isn't any listing of scheduled or passed inspections for any of the rough work which I would expect to see before they covered up the conduit. The only thing there is an unscheduled Final Electrical inspection which may be an automatically populated entry when the electrical permit is issued. But the way this permit system is run is kind of strange, so who knows.

Reactions: 3'sterly
I just wish they would put the supercharger in Adin along 299. The only way for me to get my 2015 S up to Burns to visit is to go the long way around through Bend. The supercharger in Burns is a start tho.

Yeah, Adin would be great. If they really wanted to make that a "regular" route to Burns/Hines, though, they'd need to split the remaining ~230 mile gap. Maybe something in Lakeview, OR eventually...? I imagine it's low priority at the moment though...

Reactions: gnelson