TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Holbrook, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by MarkR, Dec 20, 2013.

1. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I didn't realize it at first because of the tinted windows, but the ICEr was in his vehicle. He was demonstrably annoyed when I asked him to move, but he did comply.

I took one of the two "limited ICEing allowed" places, and placed cones which were sitting off to the side in the two EV only stalls.

ln addition to the ICEing, it was a bad experience because the BK's WiFi wasn't public and the bathroom was dirty.

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Wow, wtf. I would have been pretty pissed if I were you.

3. scottdoc

scottdoc Member

Interesting. The Burger King has a sign that the bathroom is for paying customers only. Not many or easy to get to options to relieve yourself at this stop.

4. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

Yes, that's how it's always been. I usually get a drink, so I don't feel guilty. I think the sign is primarily there to discourage transients. You could always walk down the road to the Carl's Jr. or Taco Bell. The Burger King closes around midnight, I think - which isn't too bad.

5. dc81

dc81 Member

Hi, I'm picking up a CPO at the Tempe SC and the trip planner is showing this as my first stop back to Texas. I'm getting a S85 and really don't want to run out of charge on my first leg. Is it pretty safe to get to this SC from the Tempe SC if they top me off to 100%. I'm looking to make this drive later this month.

6. araxara

I'm not sure what kind of range your CPO car will have. But using EV Trip Planner it looks like it's 176mi distance with 58.5kWh (195 rated miles) which should be sufficient:
    EVTriplanner Tempe->Holbrook.png

7. Lu Ann

Lu Ann Member

There are significant elevation changes between Tempe and Holbrook. In addition, it is monsoon season in AZ and you might have some wind too. I would study plugshare pretty closely for some charging alternatives on your route.

8. araxara

EVtriplanner already takes the elevation changes into account. You can also specify factors such as wind and temperature. The safest route would be to head to the Flagstaff supercharger with a possible stop along the way at the Cordes Lakes supercharger and then proceed along I40 to Holbrook.

9. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

I've driven from Chandler to Holbrook twice while heading east of Tucson. Both times I topped off the charge at the CHADAMO charger at the Chandler Mall. and arrived at the Holbrook supercharger both times with about 40miles range left, It was windy on one of those trips, and the temps were in the 50s. This time of year, you will be using AC, but it's way more efficient than heating is. So if you start with a fully charged car, you should be ok- The on board Nav might tell you that you won't make it as you climb up to Payson, but it will adjust again when you get outside of Payson. If you find that you are looking like you aren't going to make it at full speed, slow down about 5 to 10MPH for a few miles and you'll likely be fine. And congrats on the new car, you'll love it.

• Like x 1
  10. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Agree with the above advice. Just be sure you ask them to top off your car before you take delivery. I bought my car new and IIRC they gave it to me with a half full battery which surprised me.

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

I'm not sure I'd recommend Tempe to Holbrook direct as my first trip in a Tesla. I'd go to Cordes Lake/Flagstaff/Holbrook, with short stops. Get a feeling for the car and range.

12. animorph

animorph Active Member

I did Scottsdale to Holbrook SC as my first long road trip leg in my new X 100D. EVTP said I'd arrive at 20% if I started at 100%, and I did. However, EVTP was mostly optimistic for many of the other legs of the trip. And the predicted charge remaining at destination varied all over the place, as low as -6%, on the way there. Not a low anxiety route. But if you are willing to slow down if necessary you should be OK.

EVTP routes through Flagstaff for an S60 (its default that I sometimes forget to change). That's an easier route.

13. dc81

dc81 Member

Thanks for all your input. I guess I'll see what the weather is like on the day of the trip and what the charge level is at delivery.

14. DeepBlueMN

DeepBlueMN 2019 AWD Model 3

Charged at Holbrook on Monday. The charging part worked great, but they have part of the lot blocked off and the Burger King drive through line effectively ICEs the chargers. Luckily the drivers in line were cooperative enough to let me sneak through. The dining room is closed, so no restrooms. There is a decent gas station and convenience store south of the charger, closer to the interstate, with decent restrooms. Note that most of rest areas in AZ and NM appear to be closed currently, at least along I-40 and I-25.

• Informative x 2
  15. PapaJDub

PapaJDub New Member

1A is down and the other 3 are super slow, the most I got was 80kW and then it tapered to 35kW @ 40% SoC. Good luck.

16. Big Ike

Big Ike Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, was the SC busy?

17. PapaJDub

PapaJDub New Member

yeah there were 2 others charging

• Like x 1
  18. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

This supercharger has been removed from in-car navigation.

I was here 2 day ago, and was able to charge, although at a reduced rate of about 80 kw.

• Informative x 2
  19. Tectonic

Tectonic Member

You mean it doesn't show up at all (rather than showing temporary closure)? Maybe just a software glitch? Plugshare reports two successful (if perhaps somewhat slow) charges today: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

20. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Was not on my nav at all. Only knew it was there because I had charged there before.