Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Holbrook, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize it at first because of the tinted windows, but the ICEr was in his vehicle. He was demonstrably annoyed when I asked him to move, but he did comply.

I took one of the two "limited ICEing allowed" places, and placed cones which were sitting off to the side in the two EV only stalls.

ln addition to the ICEing, it was a bad experience because the BK's WiFi wasn't public and the bathroom was dirty.

Interesting. The Burger King has a sign that the bathroom is for paying customers only. Not many or easy to get to options to relieve yourself at this stop.
Yes, that's how it's always been. I usually get a drink, so I don't feel guilty. I think the sign is primarily there to discourage transients. You could always walk down the road to the Carl's Jr. or Taco Bell. The Burger King closes around midnight, I think - which isn't too bad.

Hi, I'm picking up a CPO at the Tempe SC and the trip planner is showing this as my first stop back to Texas. I'm getting a S85 and really don't want to run out of charge on my first leg. Is it pretty safe to get to this SC from the Tempe SC if they top me off to 100%. I'm looking to make this drive later this month.

Hi, I'm picking up a CPO at the Tempe SC and the trip planner is showing this as my first stop back to Texas. I'm getting a S85 and really don't want to run out of charge on my first leg. Is it pretty safe to get to this SC from the Tempe SC if they top me off to 100%. I'm looking to make this drive later this month.
I'm not sure what kind of range your CPO car will have. But using EV Trip Planner it looks like it's 176mi distance with 58.5kWh (195 rated miles) which should be sufficient:
EVTriplanner Tempe->Holbrook.png

I'm not sure what kind of range your CPO car will have. But using EV Trip Planner it looks like it's 176mi distance with 58.5kWh (195 rated miles) which should be sufficient:
View attachment 239582

There are significant elevation changes between Tempe and Holbrook. In addition, it is monsoon season in AZ and you might have some wind too. I would study plugshare pretty closely for some charging alternatives on your route.

There are significant elevation changes between Tempe and Holbrook. In addition, it is monsoon season in AZ and you might have some wind too. I would study plugshare pretty closely for some charging alternatives on your route.
EVtriplanner already takes the elevation changes into account. You can also specify factors such as wind and temperature. The safest route would be to head to the Flagstaff supercharger with a possible stop along the way at the Cordes Lakes supercharger and then proceed along I40 to Holbrook.

I've driven from Chandler to Holbrook twice while heading east of Tucson. Both times I topped off the charge at the CHADAMO charger at the Chandler Mall. and arrived at the Holbrook supercharger both times with about 40miles range left, It was windy on one of those trips, and the temps were in the 50s. This time of year, you will be using AC, but it's way more efficient than heating is. So if you start with a fully charged car, you should be ok- The on board Nav might tell you that you won't make it as you climb up to Payson, but it will adjust again when you get outside of Payson. If you find that you are looking like you aren't going to make it at full speed, slow down about 5 to 10MPH for a few miles and you'll likely be fine. And congrats on the new car, you'll love it.

Reactions: Captainsin
I did Scottsdale to Holbrook SC as my first long road trip leg in my new X 100D. EVTP said I'd arrive at 20% if I started at 100%, and I did. However, EVTP was mostly optimistic for many of the other legs of the trip. And the predicted charge remaining at destination varied all over the place, as low as -6%, on the way there. Not a low anxiety route. But if you are willing to slow down if necessary you should be OK.

EVTP routes through Flagstaff for an S60 (its default that I sometimes forget to change). That's an easier route.

Charged at Holbrook on Monday. The charging part worked great, but they have part of the lot blocked off and the Burger King drive through line effectively ICEs the chargers. Luckily the drivers in line were cooperative enough to let me sneak through. The dining room is closed, so no restrooms. There is a decent gas station and convenience store south of the charger, closer to the interstate, with decent restrooms. Note that most of rest areas in AZ and NM appear to be closed currently, at least along I-40 and I-25.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Big Ike