Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Issaquah, WA (LIVE Oct 2018, 8 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the steering column causing the blinker issue or was that separate? So many cars needing work! I’ve got a few items like a bulging door seal and slightly raised door trim on a door but nothing big enough to bring it in yet. Although on certain songs, the front speakers in the dash sound blown or highly distorted. It’s weird it is only on a few songs though.

Blinker issue and steering column are related (steering column control module). I don't want to clutter up this thread with too many details, but you can see my full report over here. :)

Hopefully, you can get all of your issues taken care of too!

Just came back from Issy Super Charger and having lunch at Ivars. 4 were occupied including a Coug Model S. Saw a Model 3 there as we were leaving. 245 mph at 70 kW.

Attachments

• sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 120
  • sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 105
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 99
  • sc4.jpg
    sc4.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 100
  • Informative
Reactions: Kermee
Dropped by on Friday night after I picked up my car from the detailer. 3 spots available when I got there. Grabbed a smoothie and sat in my car while it charged.

One group of older gentlemen kept looking around for cars that were done charging, and even attempted to pull a charger out (I'm assuming they didn't know the charger locks) because that particular car was done charging. Fortunately, 30 seconds later the guy whose vehicle was plugged in arrived and unplugged. I left shortly thereafter as well. It was wild.

IMG_1202.JPG

Yeah that story just made no sense. In addition even if the charge was done and they were able to pull the plug out, the car would still physically be blocking the charger. Did the gentlemen have a Tesla, or were they just loitering and looking for trouble?

Reactions: Richt
Yes. Usually the property owner wants to keep parking options open for all customers. They never want to offend a customer by having them get towed or fined. Maybe this will change in the future, but currently there is no means (or desire) for enforcement.
Ok, so Tesla is making this choice. That's strange. That doesn't match what's being done at other charging locations in the area. And it doesn't make sense for Tesla either, considering the amount of money they had to invest to install these stations.

Huh? Why were they trying to unplug them? It’s not like you can tell if the car is done charging unless it’s unlocked.....

They were trying to unplug because I assume they wanted to charge and that car was done. I'm not sure how they could tell it was done, but they seemed convinced it was.

Yeah that story just made no sense. In addition even if the charge was done and they were able to pull the plug out, the car would still physically be blocking the charger. Did the gentlemen have a Tesla, or were they just loitering and looking for trouble?

They car they were attempting to unplug was on the end spot furthest from the transformer. So they had just pulled up next to the car and could've easily plugged in if the car was done. They were in a Model X.

Hopefully Tesla implements some sort of solution to queueing at the chargers, it would help avoid weirdness like this.

Reactions: Araman0
They were trying to unplug because I assume they wanted to charge and that car was done. I'm not sure how they could tell it was done, but they seemed convinced it was.

They car they were attempting to unplug was on the end spot furthest from the transformer. So they had just pulled up next to the car and could've easily plugged in if the car was done. They were in a Model X.

Hopefully Tesla implements some sort of solution to queueing at the chargers, it would help avoid weirdness like this.
Were all 8 stalls occupied? All you said in your post was that there were 3 stalls available when you go there. If there were stalls available, I can't imagine why they'd try to unplug another car. In any case, that doesn't work with Teslas as has been previously pointed out.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Ok, so Tesla is making this choice. That's strange. That doesn't match what's being done at other charging locations in the area. And it doesn't make sense for Tesla either, considering the amount of money they had to invest to install these stations.
Recall that Washington is one of the few states with laws respecting EV charging parking enforcement. Tesla is a worldwide provider of charging facilities, with siting policies that cover the entire country, if not the planet. They are likely to make the same kinds of offers to property owners in Washington to get them to allow Supercharger installations as they do to property owners in Florida. If the property owner is offered the opportunity to keep parking slots or have them strictly dedicated to charging possibly empty, they want the flexibility to have a customer parked there, especially during holiday shopping times.

Tesla's choice - because they choose not to include it when they negotiate SC placement.
That's not true. In many (most?) cases, that's not even negotiable. There is a guy on the other Tesla forum at Tesla's site who has a lot of real experience with this, since he is a partial owner of several shopping centers, and several of them DO have Tesla Superchargers at them, so he has worked with this directly. The issue is laws and ordinances that govern parking ratios. There are some requirements for the amount of parking spaces that must be there per square footage of the retail space. Most of the time, these places are built with about the minimum parking required, because they want to maximize the revenue-generating store space. Any spaces that are set aside for something like "Tesla charging only" must be subtracted from the amount of parking spaces that are left to comply with the parking ratio laws. And most of the time, they don't have enough spare to just remove 8 or 10 spaces from the amount they must have for customers. So from that guy's actual knowledge and experience, he said that is exactly why the best you see at most places is maybe half of the spaces marked for Tesla charging only, and the rest marked for also 30 minutes general parking, because then those don't have to be subtracted from the customer space number.

Were all 8 stalls occupied? All you said in your post was that there were 3 stalls available when you go there. If there were stalls available, I can't imagine why they'd try to unplug another car. In any case, that doesn't work with Teslas as has been previously pointed out.
Sorry, I should have clarified, yes, when I got there, 3 were open, but quickly after that all 8 became occupied. These folks (car #9), then attempted to see if they could get the plug from the car done charging at the end of the row opposite the transformer, where they were parked facing the other direction so it could easily plug in to their car.

Sorry, I should have clarified, yes, when I got there, 3 were open, but quickly after that all 8 became occupied. These folks (car #9), then attempted to see if they could get the plug from the car done charging at the end of the row opposite the transformer, where they were parked facing the other direction so it could easily plug in to their car.
Curious how they even knew that car was "done charging" if they had just arrived. Or are you just guessing that that's what they thought?

Reactions: Rocky_H