Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been lobbying and voting for a Kayenta charger for many years. But saying that, I do a trip from Flagstaff to Blanding going through Kayenta quite often. It is very doable in my Model Y Performance and if you need it, along the way in Bluff Utah is the free 150 Kw CCS chargers thanks to Utah Hwy Dept.
When you say "the free 150 kW CCS chargers", how many of them are there?

When you say "the free 150 kW CCS chargers", how many of them are there?
There are two. The town of Bluff is only 140 person population. The restaurant just across from the chargers is excellent. Bluff Utah is a great town to satay. The Recapture Lodge is fair priced and a legend of the old Edward Abby books such as The Monkey Wrench Gang. Fabulous hiking and lots of Ancestral Puebloan sites to explor

IMG_5273.jpeg

There are two.

I charged at Bluff during the eclipse. Two Chargepoint CPE250 units, each name plated for 62.5kW, but can power share if only one is in use up to 125kW, or 200A, whichever is lower. So with Teslas you're looking at high sixty to low eighty kW range. Definitely better than nothing, but plan on this being a long stop. Odd installation sandwiched between the state highway and the DOT yard, but there's stuff to walk to including a park, restaurants, convenience store / gas stations, etc. It Is on the wrong end of town to check out the new resort they're building, or Twin Rocks Cafe though. Cell phone coverage is really inconsistent, I highly recommend having the Chargepoint RFID tag with you instead of relying on the cell phone app to start your session.

Same type of installation at Monticello, UT, but in that case the museum is attached to is worth 10 or 15 minutes of walking around looking at the odd collection of antique Americana they have in and around it.

I charged at Bluff during the eclipse. Two Chargepoint CPE250 units, each name plated for 62.5kW, but can power share if only one is in use up to 125kW, or 200A, whichever is lower. So with Teslas you're looking at high sixty to low eighty kW range. Definitely better than nothing, but plan on this being a long stop. Odd installation sandwiched between the state highway and the DOT yard, but there's stuff to walk to including a park, restaurants, convenience store / gas stations, etc. It Is on the wrong end of town to check out the new resort they're building, or Twin Rocks Cafe though. Cell phone coverage is really inconsistent, I highly recommend having the Chargepoint RFID tag with you instead of relying on the cell phone app to start your session.

Same type of installation at Monticello, UT, but in that case the museum is attached to is worth 10 or 15 minutes of walking around looking at the odd collection of antique Americana they have in and around it.
Heck, my 2015 Model S85D drops down into the 60s very quickly, so no problem for me. But we will probably add a model Y LR (replacing a 2012 Prius PiP) and transfer the free SC for life to the Y. But 60 kW is still great as one probably only needs a little boost to get to the next SC.

Reactions: gene
I've been lobbying and voting for a Kayenta charger for many years. But saying that, I do a trip from Flagstaff to Blanding going through Kayenta quite often. It is very doable in my Model Y Performance and if you need it, along the way in Bluff Utah is the free 150 Kw CCS chargers thanks to Utah Hwy Dept.
How dicey is the reverse trip (Blanding to Flagstaff)? I figure elevation increase to Flagstaff plus a likely headwind between Kayenta and Tuba City would make it iffy at best. Tesla navigation app detours all the way over to Page for a top up!

I do the trip from Bluff Utah to Flagstaff often. Driving a Model Y Performance (which has lower range than most Teslas), I make it with 20 or 30 miles to spare. From Blanding, you are driving all downhill to Bluff so I think you'd have no problem at all. You can add miles if you really want to at the Bluff free CCS charger as long as you have the CCS adaptor, but you'll hardly be able to add much charge at all as the altitude drop from Blanding to Bluff is significant. As you near Flagstaff, if you calculate that you need a few more miles there's always the two Tesla Destination chargers in Tuba City. You'd certainly not need more than 30 minutes or so of a boost. Forget Page, way too far out of the way and a dreary place to be.

How dicey is the reverse trip (Blanding to Flagstaff)? I figure elevation increase to Flagstaff plus a likely headwind between Kayenta and Tuba City would make it iffy at best. Tesla navigation app detours all the way over to Page for a top up!
Tuba City has a hotel with a 240 V free charger, assuming nobody is getting a toke on the hose.

What SOC do you leave Bluff at? When I was there for the eclipse, I ran an in car trip plan and IIRC it said about 70% of an MYLR (19s, aero covers, low to no degradation) battery needed to get from Bluff to Flagstaff Supercharger. But those were also in nearly ideal conditions.
I leave Bluff with 100% using the free CCS chargers. But I have a Performance Y with only 290 miles range. So you will do better, obviously.

Reactions: fhteagle
PLEASE VOTE for Kayenta as one of your five desired Tesla Supercharger Locations.

It’s 10th right now in most wanted North America locations. Tesla will install superchargers at first thru fifth place.

Kayenta is the “missing link” for easily getting between AZ and southwestern CO and also exploring the amazing Navajo Rez.

Just log in and select Kayenta on the map view. When it turns blue you’ve successfully voted.

Thank you!

Now PLEASE SHARE with every Tesla owner that you know. If everyone does this Kayenta could finally get this much needed SC.

Last edited:
I've read of substantial opposition by the locals to a Supercharger.

Any idea what that is based on? I can imagine the list including:

Not wanting to have more traffic?
Fox News flavored anti-EV FUD?
Concerns about inequity in lack of electric access and transportation for the residents of the area?

I really wonder if Tesla could work a deal to put in microgrids based on solar, batteries, and "urban" Superchargers (the ~70kW ones) in all the towns on tribal lands. Could be a huge PR win, and a boon to their access to cheap transportation.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Any idea what that is based on? I can imagine the list including:

Not wanting to have more traffic?
Fox News flavored anti-EV FUD?
Concerns about inequity in lack of electric access and transportation for the residents of the area?

I really wonder if Tesla could work a deal to put in microgrids based on solar, batteries, and "urban" Superchargers (the ~70kW ones) in all the towns on tribal lands. Could be a huge PR win, and a boon to their access to cheap transportation.
There was some brief discussion of the objections beginning about post 201:

In general, the strident objections from the Diné was that they didn't want to support electric cars for rich people when there is so much poverty on the reservation and many of the hogan's don't even have electricity. The idea that it would bring more business to Kayenta and that Tesla would pay for the station didn't seem to register with the many hundreds who objected to the proposed Supercharger Station.

Some of us decided at that point that a Supercharger Station wasn't going to happen and gave up on the idea.

Last edited:
The idea that it would bring more business to Kayenta and that Tesla would pay for the station didn't seem to register with the many hundreds who objected to the proposed Supercharger Station.

Yep. It doesn't take much to whip up anti -'rich, white man' sentiment. I'm most familiar with the Navajo and Pueblo tribes. They are in full blown 'what is in it for *me*, right now mode. Take that up 10 notches among the corrupt decision makers, and you end up with very little getting developed in tribal lands.

Yep. It doesn't take much to whip up anti -'rich, white man' sentiment. I'm most familiar with the Navajo and Pueblo tribes. They are in full blown 'what is in it for *me*, right now mode. Take that up 10 notches among the corrupt decision makers, and you end up with very little getting developed in tribal lands.
Are the Hopi of a similar mindset? The travel center right on US160 in Moenkopi would be a good potential spot.

Reactions: gene and Tectonic
Reactions: fhteagle