Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some interesting insight and possible progress on Kayenta... Please read the comments to see what the local opposition feels like (it's NOT good, but primarily a lack of understanding - most seem to think it will cost Navajo nation when in fact it will benefit them in more tourist $, possible job creation, and all costs are paid by Tesla) If anyone wants to brave the comment section to help educate in a positive way, please do so.

This is the Facebook Post... not sure how to share a FB post outside of FB so just look up this Page in Red type below

Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer

Septufeiotmbherd h2s0l oat 7:46 PM ·
POSSIBILITIES OF TESLA CHARGING STATIONS ON THE NAVAJO NATION 09.20.2021

Here's some interesting insight and possible progress on Kayenta... Please read the comments to see what the local opposition feels like (it's NOT good, but primarily a lack of understanding - most seem to think it will cost Navajo nation when in fact it will benefit them in more tourist $, possible job creation, and all costs are paid by Tesla) If anyone wants to brave the comment section to help educate in a positive way, please do so.

This is the Facebook Post... not sure how to share a FB post outside of FB so just look up this Page in Red type below

Thanks for posting - seems like a step in the right direction! Obviously Kayenta is the key site, but I wonder if there would be any additional sites within the Navajo nation where Tesla would be interested in installing a supercharger. Maybe Chinle?

I waded through approximately 100 of the 1600 comments and that sure is a tough crowd. Not sure any one of us commenting would help the situation.

It is weird though that basically all of the commenters have a huge problem with a supercharger but they don't seem to have any problem having multiple gas stations (for decades running now!).

• Love
Reactions: SnowFlyer and gene
I waded through approximately 100 of the 1600 comments and that sure is a tough crowd. Not sure any one of us commenting would help the situation.

It is weird though that basically all of the commenters have a huge problem with a supercharger but they don't seem to have any problem having multiple gas stations (for decades running now!).

Yea, I think we have to look at it from their perspective though, even if misinformed. None of them own Teslas, they have much more pressing needs, and they think this will cost them or divert $ that could go to better use. In actuality, it's giving them (or at least the locations owners) some revenue and increasing tourism $... even though some sound like they don't even want that.

Us commenting may not help, but someone has to educate them unless it's purely a leadership decision. If it's a community input or vote situation, it doesn't stand a chance...at least from reading the comments.

Yea, I think we have to look at it from their perspective though, even if misinformed. None of them own Teslas, they have much more pressing needs, and they think this will cost them or divert $ that could go to better use. In actuality, it's giving them (or at least the locations owners) some revenue and increasing tourism $... even though some sound like they don't even want that.

Us commenting may not help, but someone has to educate them unless it's purely a leadership decision. If it's a community input or vote situation, it doesn't stand a chance...at least from reading the comments.
I'll stop holding my breath in anticipation of a Kayenta SC.

Reactions: SnowFlyer and CO_MY
I'll stop holding my breath in anticipation of a Kayenta SC.
I just came back from Bluff Utah, through Kayenta and on to Flagstaff this morning. I was spending a few days in Bluff. Bluff has a free Chargepoint CCS/Chademo charger in town. I borrow a friends Chademo/Tesla adaptor to make things easy. A full charge in Flagstaff got me through the Navajo Rez, all the way to Bluff (Recapture Lodge is fabulous!) with 90 miles range still left! Going back the other way, from Bluff to Flagstaff, with elevation gain, I arrived at Flagstaff with 45 miles left.

The direct link to the post, FWIW:
It seems that many of the commenters think the community pays anything for the privilege of a Supercharger. I believe Tesla pays both for installation and electricity, right? That really should have been noted by the poster to avoid this misunderstanding. They see it as an investment for themselves to charge their (few or none) Teslas, whereas it's really a no-cost way to get reasonably affluent outside drivers to stop and need to kill 20-45 minutes in their stores or restaurants. If the poster had framed it like that maybe the comments had been different.

The direct link to the post, FWIW:
It seems that many of the commenters think the community pays anything for the privilege of a Supercharger. I believe Tesla pays both for installation and electricity, right? That really should have been noted by the poster to avoid this misunderstanding. They see it as an investment for themselves to charge their (few or none) Teslas, whereas it's really a no-cost way to get reasonably affluent outside drivers to stop and need to kill 20-45 minutes in their stores or restaurants. If the poster had framed it like that maybe the comments had been different.
Well most of the commenters aren't business owners so I doubt that would change their opinion much.

Well most of the commenters aren't business owners so I doubt that would change their opinion much.

Unless they view businesses as employment.
I hope the Navajo have a change of heart but I'll just plan to drive through without stopping if not. I'm not going to lose any sleep over the matter. The negativity and FUD in the community is a problem for them to solve.

Reactions: KJD
This is unfortunate, not sure what is the underlying cause for the objection- lack of information or misinformation or something else? You cannot hold off technological change whose time has come, I hope someone sensible realizes this soon for the economic benefit of the Navajo people.

The gas station owners have started a misinformation movement, lol.
Ok, longer range EVs won't need to stop in Kayenta and buy anything.
In 2015 with my 260 mile range Model S, Kayenta would be nice. I hope to have a longer range Tesla before Kayenta builds a SC.

Then they are very short-sighted. You don't have to be a business owner to benefit from businesses doing well in your community. It's not a zero-sum game.
You aren't telling me something I don't already know. Unfortunately my opinion doesn't matter here.

Feel free to jump into that thread to explain to people without running water and electricity why a Tesla supercharger would be good for their community. I don't think it will be productive, but you can go ahead and give it a shot if you are so inclined.

Feel free to jump into that thread to explain to people without running water and electricity why a Tesla supercharger would be good for their community.

I know the Navajo the best, but I think the following is generally true for the native tribes of NM:

• A long history of lies and broken promises by non-natives sets them up to assume the worse possible outcome. They hold very deep seated grudges, although oddly enough they are not racist.
  • After centuries of being exploited, they feel it is only fair and just to turn the tables if at all possible.
  • Their leaders are self-serving, extremely short-sighted, and corrupt
  • Employment and direct welfare are accepted; anything else is suspect
Tesla included direct charity (although it is called something more politically palatable) to the Nambe tribe in order to reach agreement on the service center. The Navajo will demand the same for a Supercharger location, perhaps along with graft for officials.

I can tell you a small personal anecdote: a small group of non-native physicians who worked at a Navajo IHS hospital and lived in hospital housing wanted to put up PV for the consumption by those who lived in the housing. The effect would have been to substitute coal for PV, and to reduce utility bills by ~ 50%. The hospital administrator, in charge of decisions and the land involved, agreed only if all the natives living in the housing received free electricity. Since natives were the majority of the housing population the PV project never happened.

Last edited:

To access this post in form of an article. POSSIBILITIES OF TESLA CHARGING STATIONS ON THE NAVAJO NATION

Reactions: mociaf9
Looks like the Navajos had a change of heart and are bringing a supercharger to the Kayenta area after all! It will be 56 v3 stalls atop the West Mitten Butte. After the recent PR snafu, they wanted to be sure Tesla owners feel welcome and gave them prime real estate for the project. An environmentally friendly gravel road will be constructed along the back side of the butte and only green vehicles will be allowed to ensure minimal impact on this pristine wilderness.

Construction should be completed in two weeks.

Looks like the Navajos had a change of heart and are bringing a supercharger to the Kayenta area after all! It will be 56 v3 stalls atop the West Mitten Butte. After the recent PR snafu, they wanted to be sure Tesla owners feel welcome and gave them prime real estate for the project. An environmentally friendly gravel road will be constructed along the back side of the butte and only green vehicles will be allowed to ensure minimal impact on this pristine wilderness.

Construction should be completed in two weeks.
Nice try.

Reactions: tmoz and SageBrush