Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Keith SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably going to drive to Adelaide in April, it doesn't look like I'll be doing it in a day as nothing seems to be happening in Keith

Not quickly anyway! I'm planning a trip too, but putting it off until at least Keith is going. Late in the year it will be I'm guessing.

It's an easy trip now that Ballarat's open!

Adelaide - Mount Barker (3-Phase + J1772 available @ Summit Health Centre) - Horsham International Hotel (3-Phase Tesla HPWC) - Ballarat SC - Melbourne.

If you're running anything lower than 85 pack you'd need to stop @ Keith Motor Inn.

Dual chargers make it a day trip very easily @ 130+km/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: doctorwho
Thanks for the Mount Barker option voyxr6, wasn't aware of that one. Might be better than the Keith Motor Inn which apparently has little around it. Pretty sure we'll be doing the trip without any more superchargers the way it's looking (March/April).

Use PlugShare to find charging points.

There's restaurants about 15 minutes walk from the centre. I just bought an electric scooter so will definitely make getting around easier!

Surely the 3 phase charger at the Horsham International Hotel is only available to guests and not those in transit?

I just called ahead & they were fine with us using the HPWC without staying but ended up staying anyway & made a fresh start the next day.

Reactions: doctorwho
Anyone been through Keith recently to see if anything has started on the superchargers? I'll be going through in a week or so and can report. Had been hoping there might be a supercharger there by this trip but it seems not :-(
I've also confirmed the Motor Inn still allows charging, it's actually on their website. Had a conversation with the owner about the high fee he charges (relatively) and he was basing it on the maximum a car could take. I pointed out that very few cars can charge at 22kW and it sounds like he's open to reducing the rate (not that it's a big deal for the convenience). Also been in touch with Keith Showgrounds and they presumably have 3-phase they're happy for people to use as a backup, but haven't confirmed as yet.

I'd like to hear about how you did it (photos too please!) and I don't really mind staying over night but in the future two superchargers would be nice. I can't really use Ballarat as I'm leaving from Castlemaine.
upload_2017-3-27_8-20-58.png

I'd like to hear about how you did it (photos too please!) and I don't really mind staying over night but in the future two superchargers would be nice. I can't really use Ballarat as I'm leaving from Castlemaine.

Ok well leaving from Castlemaine is pretty much the same as from Ballarat so the rest of your trip could mirror ours. We're staying overnight at the Horsham International Hotel with destination chargers, then stopping for a few hours on the second day to charge at the DCs at the Keith Motor Inn (for a fee). Without having to come from Melbourne you could potentially do all of that in one day in an 85 if you started with 100%, depends how long you can stand to be awake in Horsham :) I'd rather be sleeping for that part plus we don't want to be on the road that long with a 9yo.

Ok well leaving from Castlemaine is pretty much the same as from Ballarat so the rest of your trip could mirror ours. We're staying overnight at the Horsham International Hotel with destination chargers, then stopping for a few hours on the second day to charge at the DCs at the Keith Motor Inn (for a fee). Without having to come from Melbourne you could potentially do all of that in one day in an 85 if you started with 100%, depends how long you can stand to be awake in Horsham :) I'd rather be sleeping for that part plus we don't want to be on the road that long with a 9yo.
In an 85 you should be able to get from Castlemaine to Horsham and only stop for an hour or so and then onto Keith for a longer charge (5 hrs or so @11 kW) or an overnight. Do the reverse on the way back. With an 85 leaving at 100% this trip can should be done in with one short charge and long charge or two 2-3 hr stops, don't you reckon? I know a lot of people ave done this drive so they would be able to comment on range impacts that exist.

In an 85 you should be able to get from Castlemaine to Horsham and only stop for an hour or so and then onto Keith for a longer charge (5 hrs or so @11 kW) or an overnight. Do the reverse on the way back. With an 85 leaving at 100% this trip can should be done in with one short charge and long charge or two 2-3 hr stops, don't you reckon? I know a lot of people ave done this drive so they would be able to comment on range impacts that exist.
Not that I've done this leg @Davide , but it's always nicer to charge overnight as @lennier and @NovoCasGreeny say. From memory (remember me from Richmond?) you have a single charger, so even more reason to leave with a full tank, top up a little at Horsham (if they are happy to day charge) and snooze at Keith !

100% in a P90D from Adelaide, typical showed about 50k short to Horsham, travelling slower than 110k limit reduced to about 20k short to Horsham at Keith. I figured I could arrive at Horsham on 0% but thought a half hour at Keith would relieve any anxiety.The guy at the Keith Motel had a metal helmet on and after a short, sharp discussion re cost of a half hour charge, I continued on for an hour top up at 15 amps at the Bordertown caravan park. Arrived Horsham with 3k left - would have made Horsham without the top up at Bordertown. 4 hours at Horsham got me to Ballarat fast with 3 ks left again. 20 minutes on the SC and I had plenty to get home to Melbourne. Made a long day of it but easy in a Tesla..

Reactions: BenT
Half the power but double the time to get what you need. If you add 11 kw in an hour at say 50 cents per kwh that equals $5.50 per hour which includes about a 25% markup (based on 40 c per kwh). Dual chargers = double cost for him on an hourly rate. When Tesla found out recently they were unimpressed. Could be they have had a quiet word.

Half the power but double the time to get what you need. If you add 11 kw in an hour at say 50 cents per kwh that equals $5.50 per hour which includes about a 25% markup (based on 40 c per kwh). Dual chargers = double cost for him on an hourly rate. When Tesla found out recently they were unimpressed. Could be they have had a quiet word.
I wonder at the sense in placing destination chargers in individual businesses vs community centers. Goolwa SA have just put in a destination HPWC and while I used it I visited many local food and shopping outlets who all benefited. If I were a country town between Adelaide and Ballarat I would think it would be with worth putting in a destination charger on the Main Street and encouraging Tesla drivers to stop for lunch and supplies.

Reactions: srwx