Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove from So. Cal. to North Carolina on I-40. Both Kingman and Flagstaff sites were abysmal for supercharging. Both sites had chargers that were inoperative, a line to wait in for use (I was in each of these locations on 6-12-2021, the first day of my road trip), and because of that all chargers were running 75kW max as they are V2 chargers, with some urban chargers in Kingman.
I drove the I-10 to return to CA and all but one of the SC sites I charged at were V2 from Lake Charles, LA and west. However, I didn't experience delays on the way home, likely due to fewer Teslas east of CA than in CA. The one V3 I charged at in that stretch was just east of CA in Quartzsite, AZ. There is another V3 site along the I-10 near the state border as well. The I-40 is in dire need of V3 charging near Kingman, AZ, if not an upgrade at the V2 site. Many of the V2 sites need a "refresh" the same way the model S and X needed a "refresh". And I would add, from my experience, Flagstaff, AZ and Albuquerque, NM to the V2 sites that need more charging capacity, if not an upgrade as well.

No argument. Kingman has been a bottleneck since around 2016. Six stalls at a Carl's Jr.

I do believe that Tesla is trying their level best to augment or enhance many of these problem areas throughout the country. They have to consider whether to expand a current location with V3 or to add a new location a short distance away.

For example, Gallup recently added four V3 Superchargers to the existing four V2. In addition, Holbrook added eight V3 to supplement the original four V2. Mojave CA (not on I40, but on CA58, a western extension towards Bakersfield) has two urban chargers available for use and has some V3 cabinets stashed on the gravel above the six permanent V2 Superchargers, so some sort of expansion is being considered.

I would hope that Kingman is in their sights.

Traveling along I-40 between Flagstaff and Barstow continues to be miserable With my Tesla. Kingman and Needles superchargers are generally overloaded which dramatically increases the trip time.

So sadly I’m back to driving my ICE vehicle. The continued lack of attention from Tesla for all of these years is disappointing.

Traveling along I-40 between Flagstaff and Barstow continues to be miserable With my Tesla. Kingman and Needles superchargers are generally overloaded which dramatically increases the trip time.

So sadly I’m back to driving my ICE vehicle. The continued lack of attention from Tesla for all of these years is disappointing.

No argument here.

I think that it is mildly encouraging that Holbrook and Gallup recently expanded. We can only hope that Tesla has something up its sleeve for Kingman (perhaps on the east side of town with 16 V3 installations) and a second location in Needles. Or failing that, they find some ground around Ludlow that can support a larger installation, assuming there is enough available power for 20+ stalls.

Have you considered a CCS adapter. I've never seen more than 1 vehicle using an EA charger.

No argument here.

I think that it is mildly encouraging that Holbrook and Gallup recently expanded. We can only hope that Tesla has something up its sleeve for Kingman (perhaps on the east side of town with 16 V3 installations) and a second location in Needles. Or failing that, they find some ground around Ludlow that can support a larger installation, assuming there is enough available power for 20+ stalls.
I'm skeptical about the power supply anywhere between Needles and Barstow along I-40.

Small consolation, but the recently discovered permit in Wikieup will shift a lot of the PHX-Vegas traffic away from Kingman when it opens. Anyone who has done that drive previously will know to use the v3s in White Hills and Wikieup and avoid Kingman for obvious reasons.

• Love
Reactions: kelly

This is unsat.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease."

How can you and others escalate this with Tesla?

Pictures, Tweets, Instagram to Tesla perhaps?

This is an escalating problem that Tesla needs to address ASAP.

A new V3 install in Kingman can't come soon enough. Not only was there a "Medium Wait", but once plugged in I maxed out at 55 kW at 25% arrival SOC. This location also has an element of undesirables milling around the parking lot. Passing through midday Sunday I witnessed dumpster diving, panhandling, some eyeballing, and IV needles in the gutter behind the chargers on the walk to the quickie-mart. Never felt in danger, but I could see it feeling dodgy late at night or at a time of low usage. I know it's asking for a lot, but here's to hoping the new V3 has some better amenities if it's a fresh site.

Until the White Hills and potential Wikieup combo is in play, Kingman is still required stop for most on the Phx to Vegas route...
tempImagerOADC9.jpg

Until the White Hills and potential Wikieup combo is in play, Kingman is still required stop for most on the Phx to Vegas route...
Most Teslas can make it from White Hills to Wickenburg. It is 172 miles between them.
If you are heading between Kingman and Flagstaff, you do have to stop in Kingman, no skipping on that route in either direction.
A charger in Seligman would really help I-40 traffic.
Plus EV mentioned a permit for a charger in Wikieup, but I haven't seen it mentioned on supercharge.info. Anyone have any information about this possible charger?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWaveDragon
Most Teslas can make it from White Hills to Wickenburg. It is 172 miles between them.
If you are heading between Kingman and Flagstaff, you do have to stop in Kingman, no skipping on that route in either direction.
A charger in Seligman would really help I-40 traffic.
Plus EV mentioned a permit for a charger in Wikieup, but I haven't seen it mentioned on supercharge.info. Anyone have any information about this possible charger?

Seems like Tesla also really needs a SC to cut the 150 mile gap between Kingman and flagstaff.
It's in my top 5 list of problem gaps on the interstate system for the supercharger network:

I wouldn't want to be going from Kingman to Flagstaff during a winter cold snap with wind coming out of the east (rare but possible). Especially if there is snow on the highway.

It's in my top 5 list of problem gaps on the interstate system for the supercharger network:

I wouldn't want to be going from Kingman to Flagstaff during a winter cold snap with wind coming out of the east (rare but possible). Especially if there is snow on the highway.

I, again, hit up my contact in Seligman, AZ, which is the best place for a SC in between Kingman to Flagstaff. Fingers crossed.

I was really hoping they would put a new supercharger at one of the other two exits in Kingman (preferably north of I-40) but beggars can't be choosers! At the very least, this will make for a shorter walk to the old part of town at this exit. At the current supercharger location, there isn't much you can walk to besides the Carls Jr. and the Chevron.

I was really hoping they would put a new supercharger at one of the other two exits in Kingman (preferably north of I-40) but beggars can't be choosers! At the very least, this will make for a shorter walk to the old part of town at this exit. At the current supercharger location, there isn't much you can walk to besides the Carls Jr. and the Chevron.

The Route 66 museum is a fun walk-through. When I was there some years ago, the co-located EV Museum was just getting started and didn't have a lot that interested me on display. They have a fairly small space on one side of the building. However I understand that they have a LOT more in storage that will finally get to be seen when their new facility opens.

The Powerhouse building, where the museums are, dates back to early electrification. IIRC, it was shut down in the 1930s - after Hoover Dam was finished and started providing power to the area.