Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update and then I'm on my way to Vegas.

I'm no longer a SC virgin! Will post a few pics from my phone in a minute.

I left Dazzo's with 103 rated miles by the time i drove off. I reached Kingman with 31 remaining. So 72 rated miles for the 55 mile drive in my S60. It warmed up to 60-65 for most of the drive. I was exceeding even the planned 5% over speed limit for good stretches. But I was able to draft a few SUVs and Minivans for most of the way.

So, the 72 mile use was better than I was anticipating!

I've been plugged in for 28 minutes and went from 31 to 147 rated miles. The rest of the trip should take 104 rated miles according to EVTP. So, I will leave in a few min and have plenty to spare to drive around LV. I will hit the new LV SC before I head home tomorrow (thats the plan at least).

I'll post more detailed stats and info after my trip.

I think I giggled like a 12YO girl seeing 1 Direction in person when I plugged in and looked at the charge rate :)

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Glad your car didn't fall to the moon! :smile: Let us know your Vegas experience, especially if you partake in any of the downtown amenities. I've used four of the six stalls and all three superchargers, they're humming along quite nicely.

I'm no longer a SC virgin! Will post a few pics from my phone in a minute.

I left Dazzo's with 103 rated miles by the time i drove off. I reached Kingman with 31 remaining. So 72 rated miles for the 55 mile drive in my S60. It warmed up to 60-65 for most of the drive. I was exceeding even the planned 5% over speed limit for good stretches. But I was able to draft a few SUVs and Minivans for most of the way.

I think I giggled like a 12YO girl seeing 1 Direction in person when I plugged in and looked at the charge rate :)

Congrats! I had the same giggle last weekend ;-)

Thanks for the stats also... Just curious -- how long were you at Dazos?

They all show right side up on my Mac also...

Trip was awesome. So happy to finally get to experience the SCs. Putting that $2000 to use :)

It'll take a me a few days to get some more stats posted as I'm a bit slammed with work and home stuff. So here's just a preview of my thoughts and some of the key stretches.

I'll just say this: SCs, spaced appropriately, totally change the game. I know most of the folks here know that. But experiencing it first hand really hammers that thought home.

For this trip, once Wickenburg is up (and assuming it will get done), the trip from PHX to LV will be as drama-free as it gets, even for 60s. As it is, without it now, and requiring the maint charge in Wikieup, the drive between PHX and Kingman, needs to be approached the "old fashioned way" with some thoughts of hypermiling techniques. But the drive between Kingman and LV is the way it will be: care-free, because the difference in charge time at an SC if you roll in with 60 or 30 rated miles left is so small (due to the charge curve).

And real quick:
On the way up:
From Tempe (Mill Ave bridge) to Dazzo's used 43.4 kWh with temps mostly between 38 and 48 degrees.
From Dazzo's to Kingman SC used 20.1 kWh with temps between 50 and 65 degrees.

On the way down:
From Kingman SC to Dazzo's used 15.5 kWh with temps between 65 and 72 degrees.
From Dazzo's back the Tempe used 40.8 kWh with temps between 72 and 80 degrees.

Most driving on these sections was speed limit to 6 mph over. I did take advantage of some drafting opportunities along the way too. Had nice long ones on the way to Kingman and back down between Wickenburg and Surprise.

Just posted this on Plugshare also regarding Dazzo's:

Charged here on Sat 2/22 and Sun 2/23 on way up and back to Vegas in my Model S60. Good, clean power (239V/40A the whole time) for my single charger, so no step down in Amps due to fluctuating Voltage. Also, I charged using the 14-50 outlet up front. Not sure how long its been there, but its very convenient.

Had a partially loaded hot dog on the way back. Mostly friendly staff. Just let them know you need to charge, they'll flip the switch. They didn't "charge" me, but I gave them 6 and 3 bucks for the 2 times. Happy they have this available.

For most, but esp for S60s, it's needed. Until Wickenburg's gets their SCs approved and installed.
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2975.jpg
IMG_2976.jpg

Reactions: rpez021
Just completed my Phoenix to Vegas drive today. And a first visit to a Supercharger!
Wow. Even though I've seen all the charging stats posted on the forum, there's nothing like seeing all those stats on your own screen! I was the only one there and was happy (understatement) to see 120 kW
Thanks to JoMo for providing some benchmarks. I was in an S 85, and left PHX (Tatum/Greenway area) with 257 rated miles. By the time I got to Dazzo's, I still had 112 remaining, so I knew I was safe and continued on and arrived in Kingman with 39 miles remaining. I drove just a couple miles above the speed limit most of the way since it was my first time. Temps were hovering around 76, and the AC was set to 70.
I'm staying at Vdara and decided to park at Crystals for their 30 amp level 2 for an overnight charge. It's a nice spot right beside the valet desk so it should be safe.
ejytezum.jpg
ehega2e2.jpg
9y4yhu4e.jpg

Awesome! Great to hear its not too difficult with an 85. Of course, when the temps hit triple digits, it might be little tougher. But even then, it might only take a 10 min stop in Wickenburg when its open. For a 60, it will probably take a 20 min charge to be safe.

I still haven't posted more details. Still been crazy busy to go through all my pics for the stats. I'll get it at some point soon. But glad my initial set helped.

As an aside, if anyone does stop at Dazzo's in the near future, was wondering if someone could do me a slight favor. I signed the post with the 14-50 outlet in front of Dazzo's. (It was on the side opposite the outlet, "JoMo wuz here..." OK I wasn't very original). I took my pics before I signed it and neglected to get a pic of it. Any chance someone can snap a photo of it and PM it to me would be appreciated! Else, I'll have to do it next time I drive up there...

I was in Kingman around lunch on my way from the Grand Canyon to Temple Bar Marina on Lake Mead | Forever Resorts. I planned on going from Kingman to Temple Bar to Las Vegas with no extra charging (190 Rated Miles with reserve), was told that I could plug into a 5-15 here, and they had a 14-50 in the RV area just behind my room for me. Good charge karma today! :wink:

Charging at Kingman today:

Kingman-sm.jpeg

Last edited:
Well. Took delivery yesterday which was just in time because I needed to be in Havasu City that evening.

photo 1 (3).JPG

This isn't the thread for raving about the Model S, but suffice to say that so far it exceeds my expectations. What a great first trip.

The supercharger thing is so cool. Especially for someone like me coming off driving a leaf, and getting 17 m/hr at the Blink L2's around. Here's KIGM amping the heck out of my car:

photo 2 (3).JPG

And some pretty pictures from Kingman. As a datapoint, I started out at 95% from the Carefree area, with an estimated 60 miles of reserve, but arrived in KIGM with only 26 miles left.

photo 3 (3).JPG

photo 4 (2).JPG

BTW Those Carl's Jr burgers aren't half bad if you ask for the lettuce-wrapped version.

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).JPG
    photo 1 (3).JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 410
I find cross-posting to multiple threads to be objectionable. Basically just spam. And those of us in AZ are very aware of this legislation.

I posted it on multiple threads because these threads are location specific. Some persons may be following certain threads as they are closer to their home, etc. I'm sure there are some AZ residents that are unaware of the legislation. Sorry you see my sharing of news as spam.

We charged up in Kingman yesterday on our way home from TMC Connect. We can recommend the Roadrunner Cafe for a simple lunch. There is a very pleasant art gallery right next to the SC. Looks like a second hand shop from outside, but don't let that fool you. Great place to hang out as the car finishes charging.

Kingman had 5 out of 6 stalls in use at one point on Sunday afternoon. I don't see anything indicating expansion on the Tesla map, but it might be needed sooner rather than later.

What would be even better is a new supercharger in Seligman or Ash Fork (adds stalls to the area and cuts the Kingman-Flagstaff leg in half). Unfortunately I scouted every reasonable host location in both towns and saw no signs of construction.

Reactions: gene and DriverOne
May I suggest Las Salsas Tacos which is just behind the Chevron station that is next to chargers. The food is excellent, inexpensive, and they even let us bring our little dog inside and out of the 110 degree heat. They make really good veggie tacos and home made horchata. Problem in AZ is so many Superchargers are at Carl's Jr. which is pretty lousy food to eat over and over again. So, give Las Salsas Tacos a try please.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV