Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swung by HyVee for lunch today. Looks like it's happening

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 130
If rumors are correct, then at least 3 sites are under construction in NE. Lincoln, Gothenburg, and Ogallala. This is great. If anyone in the Grand Island or North Platte or Kearney could snoop around and see if activity is happening there. There seems to be some changes or additions to original plans discussed in Lincoln a few months ago.
I would like to add that only 2 pallets were seen in Gothenburg, so was surprised by this. I have seen early pics from other sights and there were always more stuff there in crates. But the tag on the pallets specifically stated Tesla Supercharger. The lot that appears to be the location is gravel. Another deviation from most other sites. I will try to keep you all updated as I can.

If rumors are correct, then at least 3 sites are under construction in NE. Lincoln, Gothenburg, and Ogallala. This is great. If anyone in the Grand Island or North Platte or Kearney could snoop around and see if activity is happening there. There seems to be some changes or additions to original plans discussed in Lincoln a few months ago.
I would like to add that only 2 pallets were seen in Gothenburg, so was surprised by this. I have seen early pics from other sights and there were always more stuff there in crates. But the tag on the pallets specifically stated Tesla Supercharger. The lot that appears to be the location is gravel. Another deviation from most other sites. I will try to keep you all updated as I can.
There is plenty of concrete parking area around the Gothenburg site. (my home town!). I'm sure they'll use all they can. The owner is an avid EV fan. Owns the nearby motel too. See new separate Gothenburg thread for more.

Gothenburg SC would not be the best. It's 200 from Lincoln! And too few services. And I'm from there and have significant family there. (none have seen any SC activity). With an SC in Lincoln, Grand Island (96), North Platte (140) and Sterling CO (128) make the most sense. The 3's will need them. Unless the new standard SC to SC is 100ish, then Lincoln, GI (96), Gburg (100), Ogallala (87), Sterling (88) would make sense. For now, Donny's plugshare HPWC80 in Aurora helps. Thanks Donny!

Does anyone besides me wish plugshare showed HPWC80's separate from the rest of the residential? Has anyone asked them?

So now I've been proved [at least partly] wrong. See new Gothenburg SC thread!

Which trim to you have? Google has this at 193 miles, and I am guessing the speed limit is less than 70 mph.

EDIT: Looks like you have the 85? That distance should be no problem in the S85
Somewhat correct, but it turns the charge in Selina into a full range charge because there is another 20-50 miles of local travel before we get to where we charge--that is we do stuff after arrival before hitting the B&B in Roca. Also, in winter when there is snow 193 miles is dicey. All the other charging stops are about 15 minutes (other than the lunch or dinner stop). A Supercharger in Hebron would be a significant timesaver.

Are you speaking of Lincoln, NE to Salina, KS? I can't find a Selina, but it might be a small town I am not aware of.
With my 85D I made it from Omaha, NE, to Salina, KS, driving 65 mph for a part of the trip as well as 70 mph for a good portion (I think Google Maps had the distance at 237 mi). Also made it back from Salina, KS, to Omaha on the way back (the trip was from Omaha to Santa Fe, NM and back). This was in perfect weather. But when the Lincoln, NE, SupC is in, it will be an easier trip from Omaha. I have never had a concern about 193 mile trip in an 85 in perfect weather. In bad weather, it is a different story.
On a side note: A fast charge CHAdeMO will be going up in Ashland, NE, I heard at an energy conference yesterday in Omaha.

Reactions: msksus1
Are you speaking of Lincoln, NE to Salina, KS? I can't find a Selina, but it might be a small town I am not aware of.
With my 85D I made it from Omaha, NE, to Salina, KS, driving 65 mph for a part of the trip as well as 70 mph for a good portion (I think Google Maps had the distance at 237 mi). Also made it back from Salina, KS, to Omaha on the way back (the trip was from Omaha to Santa Fe, NM and back). This was in perfect weather. But when the Lincoln, NE, SupC is in, it will be an easier trip from Omaha. I have never had a concern about 193 mile trip in an 85 in perfect weather. In bad weather, it is a different story.
On a side note: A fast charge CHAdeMO will be going up in Ashland, NE, I heard at an energy conference yesterday in Omaha.
I made a typo, sorry about that.

And yes, 193 miles in good weather is no problem. 193 + 50 is doable with a range charge in good weather--I've done it many times over the past 3.5 years. What I'm interested in is eliminating the range charge and just having an additional 15 minute stop without going too much out of the way (e.g. up to I-80 on 81 and then east vs. 81-136-77). Hebron nicely splits the distance in two, although Beatrice would work as well.

I made a typo, sorry about that.

And yes, 193 miles in good weather is no problem. 193 + 50 is doable with a range charge in good weather--I've done it many times over the past 3.5 years. What I'm interested in is eliminating the range charge and just having an additional 15 minute stop without going too much out of the way (e.g. up to I-80 on 81 and then east vs. 81-136-77). Hebron nicely splits the distance in two, although Beatrice would work as well.
Jerry, I know where you can charge with a 14-50 if you really need to top off a little. Chautauqua Park in Beatrice has open outlets that I haven't actually plugged into but did check out when I was over there. It's in the camper section. I called the city to see what I would need to use one of these and he didn't think there would be any problem just slipping in and grabbing a quick charge as long as there wasn't someone with a camper lined up. So if you just needed a little 30 mile boost in an hour--you could keep that in mind. Enough to get to Lincoln's charger anyway. Or the other direction.

Somewhat correct, but it turns the charge in Selina into a full range charge because there is another 20-50 miles of local travel before we get to where we charge--that is we do stuff after arrival before hitting the B&B in Roca. Also, in winter when there is snow 193 miles is dicey. All the other charging stops are about 15 minutes (other than the lunch or dinner stop). A Supercharger in Hebron would be a significant timesaver.

Yes that makes sense, another SC would be nice to have for that leg. I'm also hoping for a super charger around the Grand Island area on I80 to split the 194 mile leg from Gothenburg to Lincoln.

Jerry, I know where you can charge with a 14-50 if you really need to top off a little. Chautauqua Park in Beatrice has open outlets that I haven't actually plugged into but did check out when I was over there. It's in the camper section. I called the city to see what I would need to use one of these and he didn't think there would be any problem just slipping in and grabbing a quick charge as long as there wasn't someone with a camper lined up. So if you just needed a little 30 mile boost in an hour--you could keep that in mind. Enough to get to Lincoln's charger anyway. Or the other direction.
Yes, there are plenty of places to gain a few extra miles if required, but that misses the point. What I'm trying to avoid is the range charge.

Realistically, they are a long way from putting superchargers in places like Hebron (i.e. middle of the country and not on an interstate). The first order of business should be to complete Interstates 80, 10/20 and 94 going east-west. Next they should fill in on some of the north-south routes such as Interstates 25, 29 and 35. Then I would expect them to throw in a few in the holes in the map that are currently unreachable via supercharger, places like Dodge City, Kansas, for example. Then maybe once there are a million Model 3s on the road, somewhere like Hebron gets consideration. We can hope.

Reactions: msksus1
Realistically, they are a long way from putting superchargers in places like Hebron (i.e. middle of the country and not on an interstate). The first order of business should be to complete Interstates 80, 10/20 and 94 going east-west. Next they should fill in on some of the north-south routes such as Interstates 25, 29 and 35. Then I would expect them to throw in a few in the holes in the map that are currently unreachable via supercharger, places like Dodge City, Kansas, for example. Then maybe once there are a million Model 3s on the road, somewhere like Hebron gets consideration. We can hope.

There are non-interstate SCs in Wyoming, Utah, and elsewhere, so there are precedents. And there is certainly a shortage of north/south routes in the prairie states.

There are non-interstate SCs in Wyoming, Utah, and elsewhere, so there are precedents. And there is certainly a shortage of north/south routes in the prairie states.

With few exceptions they are near national parks. I don't disagree with your latter point, however, as I was saying, the first north-south routes to be filled should be (and most certainly will be) the Interstate corridors.

With few exceptions they are near national parks. I don't disagree with your latter point, however, as I was saying, the first north-south routes to be filled should be (and most certainly will be) the Interstate corridors.

Actually, here in the West, Superchargers are along US101 in California (Oxnard, Buellton, Atascadero, Gilroy, Ukiah, Eureka, Crescent City); Oregon (Bandon, Lincoln City, Seaside) and Aberdeen WA has one under construction. In addition, Mojave (Jct California 14 and California 58), Inyokern, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes and Topaz Lake (Gardnerville) are all on or close to US395. Folsom #1 and #2 are on US50. Groveland is under construction on California 120 which provides access from the west to Yosemite. Fresno is on California 99 and provides access to Yosemite from the south.

Oregon also has Detroit Lakes, Sandy and Bend that are not on interstate highways, nor is Farmington NM.

Nevada has Superchargers on US95 in Hawthorne, Beatty and Tonopah.

Arizona has a Supercharger in Page.

One could argue that the Eureka and Crescent City locations are near Redwood National Park, and Mammoth Lakes is sorta close to the Tioga Road entrance to Yosemite, but the road is only open six months or so per year.

The fact is that there are a lot of non-interstate highways that provide needed access to people traveling for recreation, business or leisure. Many of the highways above are either freeway or divided highways. The midwest and eastern parts of the US are no different. Tesla will provide a fair amount of Superchargers along those routes too as ownership grows.