Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Maple Shade, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went there on the 23rd. Picked the charger farthest from Unos and only got 63 kW(32% SoC). I only stayed till I got my drink and sandwich. Guess they are still calibrating the site. At least I hope. There is a v2 site about 40 minutes north on route 18 in NJ that I never got over 70 kW.

Last edited:
Part of the problem with slow speed is locals driving a short distance to try out their new V3 Supercharger. The battery cell temp has to be over 40°C to get full speed, which requires a significant amount of driving + preconditioning to achieve. Driving 20 miles isn’t gonna do it.

V3 Superchargers are earning a bad reputation for this because most of them have rolled out in the winter months and are located in northern regions.

Yes, some of them are legitimately slow, but the majority of slow charging reports seem to be due to cold batteries.

I went there on the 23rd. Picked the charger farthest from Unos and only got 63 kW(32% SoC). I only stayed till I got my drink and sandwich. Guess they are still calibrating the site. At least I hope. There is a v2 site about 40 minutes north on route 18 in NJ that I never got over 70 kW.

again I got over 150kw on that exact one.

Part of the problem with slow speed is locals driving a short distance to try out their new V3 Supercharger. The battery cell temp has to be over 40°C to get full speed, which requires a significant amount of driving + preconditioning to achieve. Driving 20 miles isn’t gonna do it.

V3 Superchargers are earning a bad reputation for this because most of them have rolled out in the winter months and are located in northern regions.

Yes, some of them are legitimately slow, but the majority of slow charging reports seem to be due to cold batteries.

tesla gona need to update the screen to tell these folks why its not on the ideal charge curve.

My speeds weren't in super cold Temps.

Also from what I read. Cold battery only affects speed marginally, like 10percent. Not by half.
Someone correct me if I'm way off.

My speeds weren't in super cold Temps.

Also from what I read. Cold battery only affects speed marginally, like 10percent. Not by half.
Someone correct me if I'm way off.

Way off. It can’t charge at all when cell temp is below freezing. Temperature has a big effect on charging speed. “Super cold temps” is, of course, a subjective term.

tesla gona need to update the screen to tell these folks why its not on the ideal charge curve.

I drove from Princeton NJ(was a nice day to drive) so I think I did about 40 miles to get there. I did not think to navigate to a Supercharger to get the battery warm since this v3 is not on the map yet but it was like 59 degrees and I drove about 45 minutes to get there so I can't imagine my battery being to cool to go about 70 kW. Just odd.

This!

Can't leave a day of skiing in 20 degree weather with the car parked outside and charge at a SC 4 miles down the road. Ask me know I know...

Ski at Killington VT. They have about 30 level 2 chargers setup in the parking lots now. They have Tesla destination and Clipper Creek J1772. I have tested several and there is one or two at 6.6 kW and many at 11 kW.

Reactions: Big Earl
I drove from Princeton NJ(was a nice day to drive) so I think I did about 40 miles to get there. I did not think to navigate to a Supercharger to get the battery warm since this v3 is not on the map yet but it was like 59 degrees and I drove about 45 minutes to get there so I can't imagine my battery being to cool to go about 70 kW. Just odd.
40 miles on a cool day simply isn't going to heat your battery enough. Temperature needs to be in excess of 100F; 59 degrees doesn't help. It's going to take a lot of waste heat from the battery and drivetrain to get it warm enough.

Reactions: Big Earl
@Big Earl is correct about needing to drive some before charging. Drove down the NJ Tpk from northern NJ this morning with Maple Shade as the trip destination. (85 miles, 70 MPH and temp was 50F). Picked the 6th charger from the left (still unnumbered) and had great success 271 MPH throttled to 113 MPH after 22 minutes. The location is great, very near the NJ Tpk and I 295. There is a Burger King and 7-11 if you don't like WaWA.

@Big Earl is correct about needing to drive some before charging. Drove down the NJ Tpk from northern NJ this morning with Maple Shade as the trip destination. (85 miles, 70 MPH and temp was 50F). Picked the 6th charger from the left (still unnumbered) and had great success 271 MPH throttled to 113 MPH after 22 minutes. The location is great, very near the NJ Tpk and I 295. There is a Burger King and 7-11 if you don't like WaWA.

How did you set the charger as destination if it's not on nav map yet?

I used ABRP and it set the WaWA address. Otherwise I might not have found it
upload_2020-2-26_14-37-37.png