Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for asking, but does anyone know where the Supercharger in northern Illinois is going? It looks north/west of Chicago, but it's very hard to tell on the Tesla web site map. (My daughter lives in Cary, and I'm keenly following the Supercharger deployments on the Toronto-Chicago route!)

Great news, this right in the center of Illinois. About half-way between Chicago and St Louis."Telsa Motors to install chargers in Normal parking deckNORMAL — Owners of Tesla electric vehicles soon will be able to charge them at the Uptown Station parking deck.The Normal City Council on Monday voted 5-2 to allow Tesla Motors to install up to 10 of its “supercharger” stations in the deck.

Did they install 10???

- - - Updated - - -

Which parking deck(s) were the SC installed on? College Ave & Uptown Station Decks????

9150331121_d95be63d07.jpg
9150330693_e9221c44ea.jpg

AB Normal setup ;-)

aby-normal1.jpg

Are all the bays working? Or just 1 of them? Not sure why everyone had to wait for a turn - unless all 4 bays were cranking out for the dozen or so cars that showed up (would still need to wait, just not as long as if only 1 bay is working)

All four bays of the Normal Supercharger are working. We had everyone rotated through charging in about 1.5 hours. After everyone's car was charging, 7 of the owners that attended and an additional future owner went out for lunch. I was the only owner that chose to wait to charge till after our lunch. I did that not because the Supercharger couldn't accommodate me, but rather so that I could have my complete attention on the experience (and take a stupid amount of photos to document it, without possible judgement of onlookers).

-David

All four bays of the Normal Supercharger are working. We had everyone rotated through charging in about 1.5 hours. After everyone's car was charging, 7 of the owners that attended and an additional future owner went out for lunch. I was the only owner that chose to wait to charge till after our lunch. I did that not because the Supercharger couldn't accommodate me, but rather so that I could have my complete attention on the experience (and take a stupid amount of photos to document it, without possible judgement of onlookers).

-David

Wattson, thanks for letting the rest of us recharge before you - that was very nice! Also, since you were able to supercharge all by yourself, what was the top rate that you saw? The most I saw on mine was 134 miles/hour, but I never fully ramped up.

Wattson, thanks for letting the rest of us recharge before you - that was very nice! Also, since you were able to supercharge all by yourself, what was the top rate that you saw? The most I saw on mine was 134 miles/hour, but I never fully ramped up.

The top rate I saw was 291 miles per hour. This photo is 11 minutes, 8 seconds into the charge. I've gained 54 miles of range at this point. The power at this point is 85.84 kW:
image.jpg

This was my actual top power rate at 89.908 kW:
image.jpg

Last edited:
The top rate I saw was 291 miles per hour. This photo is 11 minutes, 8 seconds into the charge. I've gained 54 miles of range at this point. The power at this point is 85.84 kW: (photo attached) This was my actual top power rate at 89.908 kW (photo attached)

One of the photos from the Flickr collection posted here showed that these were "Supercharger 120" SC models, implying 120 kW capability. Anyone have an idea why actual power delivered is still peaking at 90 kW? Is more software updating of the car or chargers needed before they can really deliver 120 kW?

Also, the nameplate shown in the photo I linked to above lists a max output voltage of 410 VDC and max output current of 210 A ("max continuous"). That would be 86.1 kW. Perhaps that's the continuous rating but it allows for brief peaks at 90 kW or 120 kW? If so I wonder how long a peak would be ...

EDIT: did some searching here, and this thread has some interesting info about the 120 kW SCs. In short, it'll be another 2-3 months until the software updates roll out.

Last edited: