Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another big thanks to @RubberToe !

Who's up for a Friday Nov 15 Pasadena Tesla meet-up/charge-up? Heck maybe on on Saturday too for those who cannot make it on Friday!

Bodega wine bar just inside the mall, and an El Cholo restaurant. Yard House too, with lots of outdoor seating. Heck, let's just take over the entire mall...

Scary thing about meeting anonymous strangers is that you could run into: 1) your next door neighbor, 2) your annoying co-worker, 3) your psycho ex significant other, 4) maybe Elon shows up.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Nice shot looking East of the conduit run along the garage. The crew is out today, just arrived after I took the pictures. The 8 roof holes are seeing some love with a couple newly installed short segments, with a couple more anxiously standing by waiting for their big moment. Withe the metal stopping posts in place for the City DCFCs, you can now see the vertical mounts where the charging stations will be anchored to. Lastly is a bit of a surprise. The 5 conduits for the DCFCs that I thought were going to go up to the roof are instead meandering into the garage like the Tesla feeds. This seems strange since to run these at a 90 degree angle to the stalls would require mucho bends of that large diameter pipe for like 100 feet. Color me puzzled o_O

IMG_20191005_065501_zpseyyrnieo.jpg

IMG_20191005_065140_zpspsiywqda.jpg

IMG_20191005_065040_zps9rnbgv4s.jpg

IMG_20191005_064751_zpsxzuvfgjt.jpg

Ok, the mystery of the unknown conduit routing has been solved. On the roof above where the City DCFCs are going they left a spot empty where the cables will come up through the roof. A rectangle shows the location, and presumably there will be some electrical cabinets in place there to feed the DCFCs. And since I don't get to release my inner artist very often, here is a gratuitous shot showing the row of 18 DCFCs. The last two (not shown) are for handicapped spots near the stairwell in the corner at the far end of the row.

It seems to me that a nice 12" high concrete wall would have been easier to put in there than the steel posts. If and when someone bumps into one of those with any force, it is going to have to be replaced. A 12" concrete wall would have served the same purpose, and not ever need to be repaired or replaced. Maybe its a handicapped access thing?

IMG_20191006_081852_zpslv0zb77p.jpg

IMG_20191006_081949_zpscmmohiqt.jpg

Hopefully they keep building chargers eastward into the San Gabriel Valley. I saw a decent amount of Teslas in Arcadia/Temple City last time I visited. Appreciate the updates RubberToe!

A city council Powerpoint referenced earlier in this thread discussed two additional Supercharger locations in East Pasadena. I drove by the Shoppers Alley parking lot this morning looking for any evidence of construction. I also checked the City permit site, no luck. I'll start a new thread as soon as any permits are pulled.

RT

A city council Powerpoint referenced earlier in this thread discussed two additional Supercharger locations in East Pasadena. I drove by the Shoppers Alley parking lot this morning looking for any evidence of construction. I also checked the City permit site, no luck. I'll start a new thread as soon as any permits are pulled.

RT
An obvious location in East Pasadena would be near Foothill, somewhere between Sierra Madre Villa and Michillinda. Lots of big stores around there, plenty of places to eat, and very convenient for the I-210.

Reactions: MikeC

RT
I wouldn’t be surprised if the city waited to see how this project went before approving any future projects.

No pictures today, but there was a delivery of a large amount of small 1" and large 2" diameter metal conduit on the roof by the DCFCs. They will probably need to cut through the roof before laying it down, though they could start at the far ends and work their way toward the main feed(s). The crew was looking over the stretch of conduit next to the garage that is still covered by temporary plywood. No progress on the excavation, though there was a guy looking at the hole and talking on his phone to someone. I may start posting the pictures as attachments to avoid the hosting issues some are seeing.

RT

Well,
I'm able to upload and insert pictures as a "full image". The issue is that when I preview the message it gives me a "view attachment" link that when clicked just shows a 404 error. I am able to insert them as thumbnails, which allows one to select the picture and then display all the attached thumbnails as full size images. I'll go with that for now. My ancient Computer Science degree apparently isn't up to the task at hand. Anyone with advice on how to navigate this issue please feel free to PM me and I will try and work through it.

In any case, amazing progress since I fell asleep at the wheel, only to be brought back to my senses by my buddy @ecarfan . Three very large white electrical cabinets were delivered and are being stored in the area on the corner where the transformer hole is:

IMG_20191009_070403.jpg IMG_20191009_065819.jpg

Wasn't able to get a better closeup than this without getting run over by the cherry picker being used to move them on busy Green Street. I know, thats no excuse, but if I'm hobbling around on crutches, the picture quality going forward might suffer.

Upon the roof things went absolutely bonkers. Have a look at the "Square-D" electrical cabinets that recently arrived:

IMG_20191009_070027.jpg IMG_20191009_070142.jpg

The metal conduit that was delivered to the roof is now in full deployment mode as can be seen in the second thumbnail above. I'll get a better shot tomorrow morning instead of an "end shot". Possibly even a close up of the technical information on the cabinets so others can speculate what kind of City DCFCs might land here.

I'm beginning to think that the lack of work in the big hole where we connect to the main power is due to permitting issues WRT getting an SMR (Small Modular Nuclear Reactor) licensed to supply the power needed by the 44 Level 3 chargers that will be installed. ;)

RT

SMR (Small Modular Nuclear Reactor)
Also known as a 17kV distribution transformer?:p

The image attachment format you used works great, especially on mobile.:)

It's rare that a supercharger construction is so active that it requires daily visits to monitor the progress. Kudos to the crew/City/Tesla for making it happen.

Thanks for keeping on top of this, RT.

Also known as a 17kV distribution transformer?:p

The image attachment format you used works great, especially on mobile.:)

It's rare that a supercharger construction is so active that it requires daily visits to monitor the progress. Kudos to the crew/City/Tesla for making it happen.

Thanks for keeping on top of this, RT.

In the time it took from February when the City Council approved it until construction finally started, Tesla built an entire factory in China and is rolling out Model 3's as we speak. :D

But yeah, daily progress here has been pretty rapid. Keeping my fingers crossed that there is no last minute interminable delay...

RT

• Funny
Reactions: MikeC