Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Macquarie (Thrumster), NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No source needed. Like the F /rams/silverado, these massive trucks are not suitable for Australian residential streets.

Australians do still buy F/Rams/Silverados, particularly for towing, just not in great numbers because they are very expensive due to the RHD conversions required. Also the large range of medium utes and large 4WD wagons sold here can tow up to 3.5T reasonably well for most people's purposes. So if you are declaring that the Cybertruck will not come to Australia because you don't believe there will be sufficient market for it, then that's your opinion and I am not arguing for or against it. I was simply pointing out the irony that Tesla now sells a vehicle clearly aimed at towing, and are still not building drive-through superchargers!

However, the Model Y can tow, as can other EV's. The Model 3 can tow in virtually every market except for Australia (not sure why not here - some people fit after market towbars which Tesla service allegedly have no problem with). It is inevitable that the available range of EV's will continue to broaden, including vehicles suitable for towing.

Many charging stations are being built that are not suitable for towing, and I believe it's short sighted. Once these charging stations are built, they tend to stay built. Why can't we just do it right the first time? It just seems such an obvious thing to me, and I cringe every time I see new site after new site making the same mistake. I understand some charging locations may have to make do with the space available, but some could have easily been designed differently, with plenty of room available for at least a drive-through stall or two. This Port Macquarie one appears to have been a blank canvas. Just sad.

And we are also still way at the early stages of the adoption curve.
Today's new 10-15 stall site, will need to be 50 in 2-3 yrs.

And then you're talking a much larger area of land which will provide more opportunities to design pull throughs/ front in and wider disabled sites.

But finding sites and finding power is going to continue to be a challenge for all charge point operators.

I understand some charging locations may have to make do with the space available, but some could have easily been designed differently, with plenty of room available for at least a drive-through stall or two. This Port Macquarie one appears to have been a blank canvas. Just sad.
That car park was only opened in the last 6 months. it was an informal dirt parking prior.
Definitely no drive through spots considered in the design and build.
1702375209209.png

Except it is not exactly a free reign on how to build the supercharger install. In this case there is an exisiting approved master plan which will put a few more rows of parking 'behind' the superchargers and then another new building past that. Tesla would have likely had to fit within the parking specified in the masterplan.

This also likely explains the gap between the supercharger stalls and the cabinets. Those spaces will in future form a through path for traffic.

For those trying to place the chargers on the masterplan infographic shown above they are below the 'Place' in 'Sovereign Place Retail'.