Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ - Main Event Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely unrelated to whatever Teslas arrangements are, but to use another charging network as an example:

When they install on someone else's land, they separate the infrastructure improvements (i.e. substation upgrades, underground cabling - things that can not physically be picked up and moved elsewhere) and the charging infrastructure (cabinets, stall hardware). They include in the contract wording to allow for this. I'm not precisely sure what that means, but it's something like: Either the site owner pays for site improvement works up-front; or if the lease is not renewed earlier than a certain length of time, they must "buy" them from the charging network operator (after depreciation, etc).

Also, the split of revenue is proportional to how much each party contributes at the start, so there is an incentive for the site owner to contribute.
One reason off the top of my head is that improvements to and beneath the ground are more closely associated with the real property and is therefore included on the real property tax bill. Those improvements while not necessarily permanent, will stay around for a very long time.

On the other hand, the charging cabinets, stalls, and internal electrical components are more closely identified as personal property. They can be easily (comparatively easily) removed to be scrapped, upgraded, or used elsewhere. Most jurisdictions around this land of ours assesses personal property taxes on business property in addition to real property taxes on land.

It is quite easy for the landlord to notify the taxing authority as to the cost of the trenching, conduit, etc. to be added to the real property valuation. It would be Tesla's responsibility to notify the taxing authority as to the cost of the hard assets installed to charge our cars. This way, if there is an escape assessment, it is real easy for the taxing authority to go after Tesla and not the landlord.

A parallel in California is in farming. The dirt for farming is on the real property tax bill. The irrigation equipment, pumps, drip tape, and the like are reported on the personal property tax statement and a separate bill (due in August) is sent.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
Just now from a passerby.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: tmoz and hobapolis
will they keep the existing SCs that already exist near that location?
I would expect so. They spent a lot of money developing that lot from scratch.

Demand isn’t going to decrease and it can help having two sites on different parts of the electricity distribution grid to ensure the chance a local power outage doesn’t take them both out.

The 28 V3 will stay for sure. I have on idea how long they plan on keeping the old V2 units around. Quartzsite will soon have 124 pedestals compared to Electrify America's 4 (!).
Well with the coming flood of non-teslas about to inundate the V3/4 supercharger network, at least the old remaining V2 sites will stay Tesla only for as long as they exist.

Grabbed some drone footage yesterday. Looks like there are two pull-thru stalls for cars that are towing and no magic docks on the stalls.
It's getting harder and harder to resist getting a drone when one sees footage like this. That location is impressive. I can only hope that solar canopies appear at some point.

Just now….. Passerby photos!! Solar structures. Good progress.

Attachments

• IMG_5761.jpeg
    IMG_5761.jpeg
    672.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5762.jpeg
    IMG_5762.jpeg
    672.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    882.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5758.jpeg
    IMG_5758.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5759.jpeg
    IMG_5759.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
In the USA Tesla Supercharging sites of this stall size must become the norm along busy interstate highways outside of major metro areas. Harris Ranch CA comes to mind as well.
There will be so many EV’s on the road in the coming years it boggles the mind that there aren’t more sites of this size again, - on the busiest of travel routes.
This site is evidence that large stall numbers are coming. I just wish it to be sooner rather than later.
The progress on this site is moving along quickly.
👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻
Solar canopies, tow stalls, convenience stores, easy on off freeway location, facilities, shade, version 3 charging (maybe 4), clean (let’s all do our part in keeping it that way)- well lit, battery storage?
Welcome all NACS equipped vehicles owners to charge at sites of this size!! A paradigm shift in transportation is underway.
Keep the photo updates coming.

Just now….. Passerby photos!! Solar structures. Good progress.
Great photos! Hopefully they'll have it open soon and hopefully there will be a new massive supercharger in Williams... Williams needs it badly as it's so weird to have a gap of 145 miles between Kingman and Flagstaff with no supercharger... I feel like it's the biggest gap on any interstate in the US where speed limits are 75mph, and could still be going up to 85mph one day... Most drive 80mph and that's a range killer... I need 290 miles of range in my X just to make the 145 mile journey... Bring a 500 mile range X to market and I'll buy it!

Am I reading this right?

Tesla pays a demand charge of ~$2k/month/stall and buys power @ 3.7c/kwh? That's an insanely good deal...

No wonder they weren't keen to put a charger in Blythe on the CA side...
I'm coming up with a little under that in demand charges.

88 stalls divided by 4 stalls per cabinet = 22 charging cabinets @ 350 kVA each (typical allocation) = 7700 kVA. I would expect them to round down to 7,000 kVA worth of transformer power, resulting in ~$134,000 in demand charges / 88 stalls = $1,529 per stall.

Assuming the maximum high end of 387 kVA per charging cabinet, we get 8,514 kVA. If they size for that, we get $163,000 in demand charges / 88 stalls = $1,860 per stall, per month.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc