Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Quartzite is open and will be through thanksgiving but is having problems so charging is slow. There are 8/12 portable urban chargers present but half the regular chargers seem to be experiencing problems and are offline. Even the urbans are slowish.

So if you need it it’s here but it’s advisable to assume you’ll only get a minimal charge to help bridge the gap. If you can charge enough to skip Quartzite you probably should.

Reactions: PStewart
It just seems so peculiar: If Tesla sent out employees or subcontractors to install the pallets with the 72kW charging pedestals, why did Tesla not address the issues with the permanent installations? Seems that they could have been repaired at the same time.

Reactions: PStewart
Looks like Quartzite is open and will be through thanksgiving but is having problems so charging is slow. There are 8/12 portable urban chargers present but half the regular chargers seem to be experiencing problems and are offline. Even the urbans are slowish.

So if you need it it’s here but it’s advisable to assume you’ll only get a minimal charge to help bridge the gap. If you can charge enough to skip Quartzite you probably should.

What is the point of installing 12 urban SC's if 4 out of 12 does not work. Please view photos and I'd like your feedback. How can you maxime the space if two urban SC are on both side. This will create chaos again during the holidays and drivers will be upset.
IMG_7037.JPG
IMG_7036.JPG

What is the point of installing 12 urban SC's if 4 out of 12 does not work. Please view photos and I'd like your feedback. How can you maxime the space if two urban SC are on both side. This will create chaos again during the holidays and drivers will be upset.View attachment 481807 View attachment 481808
They didn't install 12 urban SC, they installed 8 of them. While those mobile pallets do have 3 posts on them, when installed only 2 of them at a time are ever wired up to provide charge. Having 3 posts on there is just to allow Tesla to use the same pallet in different parking geometries and still have 2 posts available.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and Dave EV
It just seems so peculiar: If Tesla sent out employees or subcontractors to install the pallets with the 72kW charging pedestals, why did Tesla not address the issues with the permanent installations? Seems that they could have been repaired at the same time.

Tesla can have all its hardware working 100% to spec, but if the feed from the utility is bunk there's not much they can do. There's a ton of variables that affect supercharging speeds.

Reactions: Big Ike
Tesla can have all its hardware working 100% to spec, but if the feed from the utility is bunk there's not much they can do. There's a ton of variables that affect supercharging speeds.

OK, if there are a ton of variables affecting speed or the utility feed is bunk, then why would these temporary chargers not be subject to these very same problems that hamstring the permanent installations? It makes no sense to me!

Reactions: Big Ike
OK, if there are a ton of variables affecting speed or the utility feed is bunk, then why would these temporary chargers not be subject to these very same problems that hamstring the permanent installations? It makes no sense to me!
Perhaps the temp chargers (which are limited to 50kw each apparently) are hooked up to a different source. When you are dealing with this level of power you aren't just stringing Home Depot extension cords around a parking lot. Perhaps the feed to the main supercharger setup is underground, and fixing it would require digging, or perhaps the transformer the utility placed isn't running at full spec. Who knows?

Just placing blame on others doesn't solve the problem, and no one will ever own up to being the actual problem. Tesla won't call out the utility, as they need to keep a decent relationship with them in the future. The utility won't....Well the utility won't say anything ever because they never own up to anyones problems beyond the typical "regional issues affecting customers".

I charged there last night. As far as I can tell, all old and temp sites are functional. There are 8-10 temp stations in addition to the original 8. About 2/3rds of the dirt lot to the immediate west of the parking lot is fenced in. No work started yet. The fence has been up for nearly a month already.