Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rockaway NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CBA71F1D-692A-4361-847C-7B06D2BA24A8.jpeg
B204E576-54D9-4734-892B-C6FBD28C4529.jpeg

This was the state as of lunchtime today. From an outsider's standpoint, things are looking pretty much the same...

I'll continue to keep you all posted.

Once this supercharger is up and running, I think we should do an unofficial opening on a Sunday morning. Have some coffee and chat it up, and then tweet a group "Thank you" photo to Elon lol. What do you all think?

View attachment 362248 View attachment 362249

This was the state as of lunchtime today. From an outsider's standpoint, things are looking pretty much the same...

I'll continue to keep you all posted.

Once this supercharger is up and running, I think we should do an unofficial opening on a Sunday morning. Have some coffee and chat it up, and then tweet a group "Thank you" photo to Elon lol. What do you all think?
I"m in.....!

Open today ? Still holding onto my prediction of Christmas fingers crossed
Look at the second picture in Post #61 by @Santa Claws from last Wednesday. At the right, inside the protecting ring of yellow bollards, is the EMPTY SPACE where the utility transformer is eventually going to go. It's a bit hard to see from the angle in that particular shot but if you go back and look through all the posted pictures/video of this site from earlier in this thread, you can catch glimpses of the concrete pad and conduit stubs. Until someone reports that that space gets filled, don't bother fretting about when it may open.

Santa Claws hopes you all had a very Merry Christmas.

Drove by the Superchargers a few minutes ago... Nobody working. Movie theater parking lot was packed any everyone was respectful of the Tesla spots. Not a single ICE parked inside them. Good start but who knows how long that'll last :)

Am I crazy to keep FUSC instead of getting that $5K refund on my P3D? What do superchargering costs look like in NJ where they charge you by the minute? I figure each 45-60min session would run at least $10...

I don't recall seeing more than 9 dollars per charge. Most important thing is stopping with a warm battery, as in driving an hour or more in the winter, THEN stopping. If the battery is cold it will charge slowly, and I imagine that will run up a bill. I usually charge from 50-100 miles to 250-280 miles.

I recently purchased a NEMA 5-20 adapter to supplement and maintain the charge I get from the SC, as I have access to a free NEMA 5-20 outlet ( 120v @ 16A as opposed to 120v @ 12A). The improved charge rate, and ability to maintain more heat in the battery this time of year is worth the $37 adapter from Tesla.

Reactions: lensovet
I would sell the FUSC on my Model S for $5000 without hesitation.

That's probably 75k miles worth of charging. I can't imagine ever using that much. Charging at home is worth every penny.

If you travel a lot it may be worth it. I for example have an apartment so I use the Superchargers and a local 120v outlet to make it through most of the week.

Figure approx. $10 per charge would mean the $5000 is worth 500 charges or one charge a week for 9 years or so.

500 x 65 kwh (per charge) =32,500 kwh X 0.15 cents per kwh = $4875 worth of electric.

Very rough numbers but I'd say its about a wash. Now, if I could use that 5000 to pay off a loan or some debt, I'd take the cash.

I tend to agree, $5,000 is a lot of money. I use superchargers about once a month typically. I wouldn’t see that $5,000 for a very long time.

Now there’s a caveat, that’s assuming today’s prices. There’s so much unknown on future energy prices (Do they apply gas and transportation tax to electricity at charging stations? Or if Tesla changed its mind and wanted profit from it) what if it cost $50 per full charge - gas equivalent instead of the $7 now? That would be 100 charge cycles - or 25,000 miles.

At those numbers free supercharger or $5,000 changes significantly. So I say if you’re keeping the car 3-5 years. Take the $5,000. If you keep your cars 10+, you already spent the $5,000. Let it ride and roll the dice.

Appreciate your input. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Pros

Relatively Close Superchargers - Right now I have 2 supercharger locations near me that are about to go online. One is 5 minutes from work and the other 10 minutes from home.

$2,000 Option - That $2,000 prorated cost everyone got hung up on was a FUSC option at a time when supercharger locations were very limited in number. You would have to increase that comparison number now with the current state of supercharging available.

Supercharger Network Increase - There are only going to be more supercharging locations in the future, not less. They will become more prevalent at convenient locations like malls and rest stops - places where you would want to stop for longer than your traditional ICE fill-up.

Unknown Future Charging Rates - As @Yinn mentioned, we don’t know what the supercharging rate will be in the future. It could go up or down. New Jersey supercharging cost is different than most because they charge you based on time with respect to kWh being used.

Long Term Ownership - I plan on keeping my P3D until it’s either run into the ground or the cost of keeping it alive no longer makes financial sense. At the very least, if I’m done with it and I can still make money from it, I will use it as part of the Tesla Fleet Sharing Program.

Road Trips - It’ll make me want to take more road trips. With “fuel” being free, I’m more inclined to use that money toward better hotels and food. I’m not really saving money here, but I am getting to experience more.

Principle - And then there’s the Principle of the matter. I agreed to pay Tesla X amount of dollars for my Tesla. Normal dealerships give inconsistent discounts all of the time. Manufactureres add incentives throughout the entire year. It’s what you signed up for when you inked that paper.

Cons

Bay Availability - With more Teslas coming online, the percentage of open charging spots will go down by default. Even more so if Tesla opens up supercharging to other manufacturers - Elon talked about this in a recent Conference Call. He’s ok with them making an adapter for their respective cars as long as they contribute to the cost of the Supercharger Network. (This should all be alleviated by additional supercharging locations. Hopefully, Tesla is paying attention to some algorithm on their end when it comes to bay use per car per location)

Home Charging - It only costs me an additional $62.50/month right now to charge daily at home in order to travel 1,250 miles. This is super convenient. Plug it in when I get home, and then I don’t have to think about it. Five minutes before I leave I can warm or cool the cabin. $5,000 at my current electricity rate is 100,000 miles at $0.05/mile. I drive ~15,000 miles per year. It would take me ~7 years to spend that at home.

Opportunity Cost - I could take that money right now and invest in the S&P 500 and get an average annual return of 8%. That’s roughly $400+ in paper gains yearly in the short term, more in the long. I could also scoop up Ford stock at the current 7.7% dividend for $385 a year in cash flow or let it it ride on Tesla stock.

Non-Transferable - Unfortunately, FUSC does not transfer with the P3D if and when I were to sell it. My game plan in to keep the P3D, but if this were transferable there would still be some value over a P3D without it @BLKTSLA

Conclusion

At the end of the day, $5,000 is a significant chunk of change. The ultimate question that I have to ask myself is:

Q: Would I pay $5,000 right now if FUSC were an available option?

A: Yes

Let’s pretend you own and ICE and we put it another way:

Q: Would you give Exxon $5,000 right now to get unlimited fuel for one of your cars?

A: Yes, who wouldn’t! At 8 cents per mile in fuel ($2.30 per gallon @ 30mpg) it would only take 62,500 miles to break even after 50 months of driving 1,250 miles per month. Keep in mind that an Exxon station might not be around the corner, but every time you go to one you get free gas, so it makes sense to go out of your way for it. Also keep in mind that you won’t have the convenience of topping off at home.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
@Santa Claws - I've recommended to all my friends that have bought a PM3 with FUSC to keep it, it will add more value when you're ready to sell or upgrade, and the fact that its not coming back makes it rare, and with SCv3 coming it will definitely be valuable to someone.

It's my understanding this current incarnation of FUSC doesn't transfer, either with the owner or the vehicle. So, once you sell, it's gone forever. If it did transfer, it's definitely more valuable.

Reactions: lensovet