Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla-shueprcharger-use-chart.jpg
Although this is not the place for this you are incorrect. We have had a lot more recoveries and 1 death. This has nothing to do we Trump.
View attachment 543820

I disagreed with Gene too. While that might be their observation in their local region, there are lines at various SC lots. Here's an article that might be a little more helpful that shows worldwide Supercharging activity.

Check out Tesla's impressive chart of pandemic's impact on Supercharger use - Electrek

I stopped by here on Saturday morning around 11am and there were only 3 other vehicles charging. Way quieter than your typical holiday weekend. The Madonna Inn was busier with tons of people going in to eat brunch.

I did see a vehicle plugged in at the new chargers but I didn't get a chance to ask how it was going. Presumably it was working since they were not in their vehicle but I can't confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottRoberts33
I wanted to update the thread title, but I'm too lazy to read through 20 pages of this thread (I did read through the most recent 4-5 pages and didn't find what I wanted). Could someone familiar with this site tell me the counts of V2 and V3 stalls at this location?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: goldengate
I wanted to update the thread title, but I'm too lazy to read through 20 pages of this thread (I did read through the most recent 4-5 pages and didn't find what I wanted). Could someone familiar with this site tell me the counts of V2 and V3 stalls at this location?

Thanks,

Bruce.

There are four V3 stalls. I pretty sure of this. I was looking explicitly for the V3s when I stopped there today.

As of 3:45 pm PDT 12-JUN-2020 only two are operational. One has a cone in front of it, the other has a cone at the back. Both have the cords stowed on top instead of the holster. I didn't spend to time to verify that they inoperative myself.

I believe there are fourteen V2 stalls. I looked at the photo I took today. I think that's correct but there is room for uncertainty (in fact I originally thought it was twelve but I counted again). The picture was was not intended for counting stations so I had to do a little extrapolation. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zrk1WMs8LG4BavMw6

We are the white Y at the first v3 station.

I was able to see over 200 kW (204 in the picture) V3 charging https://photos.app.goo.gl/C5FkDaMzhBZ86F6S6

While I was there it was as close to charging perfection, the V2s were running unpaired for the majority of the time and both working v3s were in use. Folks arriving were savvy as to which spots to use.

There are four V3 stalls. I pretty sure of this. I was looking explicitly for the V3s when I stopped there today.

As of 3:45 pm PDT 12-JUN-2020 only two are operational. One has a cone in front of it, the other has a cone at the back. Both have the cords stowed on top instead of the holster. I didn't spend to time to verify that they inoperative myself.

I believe there are fourteen V2 stalls. I looked at the photo I took today. I think that's correct but there is room for uncertainty (in fact I originally thought it was twelve but I counted again). The picture was was not intended for counting stations so I had to do a little extrapolation. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zrk1WMs8LG4BavMw6

Sounds good, thanks Arnold! I know from experience you're good at counting and math type stuff. :D

Thread title updated.

Bruce.

Stopped by here in the morning on July 5th and there was a short line. 3 stalls appear to be out of service which includes the 2 V3 stalls that were mentioned earlier. It took 10 minutes for me to get a spot and then I started charging and went for lunch at Madonna Inn. When I got back this is the picture not all stalls filled.

There are two Tesla Employees helping organize if they are full making sure you get in line. Overall a great experience especially over 4th of July weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_125043.jpg
    IMG_20200705_125043.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: ucmndd
Stopped by here in the morning on July 5th and there was a short line. 3 stalls appear to be out of service which includes the 2 V3 stalls that were mentioned earlier. It took 10 minutes for me to get a spot and then I started charging and went for lunch at Madonna Inn. When I got back this is the picture not all stalls filled.

There are two Tesla Employees helping organize if they are full making sure you get in line. Overall a great experience especially over 4th of July weekend.
I imagine things are going to pick up this afternoon and evening. I need to head home either tonight or early tomorrow morning - pretty well decided at this point to wait til morning.

I am amazed if you read this 20 page thread what a cluster the SLO SC is.... is there another one like this in California? In the headlines for multiple years, even busy during a PANDEMIC, and now almost a year of trying to get the V3 chargers installed and working? If there were more capacity on 101 with SC's this would not be a big issue but this is a big station to have limping along for so long. I know Tesla is trying to do a lot of different things but given the publicity around this one (negative) I would think it would be a focus.

I am amazed if you read this 20 page thread what a cluster the SLO SC is.... is there another one like this in California? In the headlines for multiple years, even busy during a PANDEMIC, and now almost a year of trying to get the V3 chargers installed and working? If there were more capacity on 101 with SC's this would not be a big issue but this is a big station to have limping along for so long. I know Tesla is trying to do a lot of different things but given the publicity around this one (negative) I would think it would be a focus.
While my actual exposure to this SuC is limited, I wouldn't say that is THAT bad. Yes - they had an unexpected crunch last year (or was it this year) when the I-5 corridor was shut down over a holiday weekend forcing everyone to the 101, but there is no blame to be had by Tesla for that. They were able to quickly respond with additional resources (an amazing response IMO) that helped a lot.

The V3 chargers there do seem to be having troubles, but I've seen all sorts of problems with other locations as well.

It isn't perfect, but for from being a "cluster."

Reactions: maximizese
No sorry I respectfully disagree.... this is the biggest myth around the SLO supercharger... that it's only bad when I-5 shuts down. It's bad on any holiday weekend and if you go back to posts in 2018, it began then... they had a full year from the lines in 2018 (when model 3 was just starting to grow...) to 2019, yet did nothing except deploy a Megapack. Then 2019 there was the perfect storm, literally, which is what has given people this false impression that it's just when the Grapevine closes. It's not. Believe me, I drive this corridor often, especially on holidays, and that's why I am all over this thread. Fortunately, Pismo has come online, and Soledad is in planning stages (see my post in other thread about that), so they are adding some capacity to this corridor, but there is still a HUGE gap between Salinas and Atascadero / SLO.

I love Tesla but they have dropped the ball on this corridor and it's not the weather, it's the explosive popularity of our cars with minimal investment in infrastructure on this heavily traveled corridor.

/curmudgeon rant mode off :)

I watched the in-car display pretty closely on Sunday and SLO didn’t seem to be particularly impacted. Pismo has helped a lot. Paso Robles will help even more. Yes, we still need Soledad and/or King city.

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. There have been problems in the past, but the most noteworthy moment at this station was quite literally a “perfect storm” of demand, and since that time a new station has opened less than 20 miles away and a second one is being constructed as we speak less than 30 miles away. I’m not sure how you see that progress and come to the conclusion that they’ve “dropped the ball”.