Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste. Marie, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was never a pin on the Michigan side of the border on Tesla's map. They have only listed the Canadian site. You may be thinking of the supercharge.info map that has shown this permit for some time.

Yep, I was. I am more hopeful now, thanks.

I now await construction pictures from the Upper Penisula sites... yeah Spring, maybe Summer...

upload_2020-1-2_10-3-47.png

Interesting that Find Us doesn't show it.
SCs pop up in places not shown on Find Us all the time.

View attachment 495598
Interesting that Find Us doesn't show it.
SCs pop up in places not shown on Find Us all the time.

The permit hasn't been updated in quite some time with LARA. Last time I saw it. They were waiting on more information from requester. Which would mean the contractor or Tesla needed to do something. Not getting hopes up.

Thanks to @sdoorex in the Escanaba thread reminding me to check at the MI Dept of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), I found Tesla's application for Plan Review for this supercharger (PR2019BCC-001607; may need login to access), with description: "Installation of Tesla Charging stations and all supporting equipment at the Meijer store in Sault Ste Marie, M." The application is dated 2019-07-12 and hasn't yet been approved. Current status is "Awaiting Client Reply", which I take to mean that revisions to their latest plan submission were required and a new set of corrected/updated plans haven't been returned for evaluation yet. Unfortunately, the public access to info on LARA's portal is quite limited, so we can't see the workflow processing status to know when things have been happening, only the total record status. So far, all accrued fees have been paid.

View attachment 466601

There was an electrical permit issued April 22 for a project at this site found under the name "Tesla":
upload_2020-5-6_9-8-2.png

Oh I bet they say that to all their beaus and belles.
Actually, do the Find Us page have various quarters listed, or is the Q3 2021 their new version of "Coming Soon", or "Coming in 2020"?
I’m seeing every site in Michigan labeled as “Q3 2021”. I found a site in Indiana labeled “Q4 2021” and a site in Wisconsin as simply “2022”. Looks like the plan is to have a team swing through the state. I’d still take anything Tesla puts on that page with multiple truckloads of salt and not make any travel plans based on these maps.

This would be good, though a supercharger in Newberry or Grand Marias would also be helpful for me! Actually even destination chargers there or Crisp Point or Tahquamenom Falls would be good for exploring. So far only Sault Set Marie, Escanaba and Marquette have been listed as coming soon for sites, correct?

This would be good, though a supercharger in Newberry or Grand Marias would also be helpful for me! Actually even destination chargers there or Crisp Point or Tahquamenom Falls would be good for exploring. So far only Sault Set Marie, Escanaba and Marquette have been listed as coming soon for sites, correct?
The ones shown on this map are what are known: supercharge.info

Reactions: 21EV
Thankfully the Marquette supercharger has some locals that are able to take pictures regularly to update on progress...
Does anybody live nearby the Soo charger that can take pics for the community on progress?
I know a couple people up there. Do we know how accurate the pin placement is on supercharge.info? I could have them take a look if they're hitting up that Meijer.

I know a couple people up there. Do we know how accurate the pin placement is on supercharge.info? I could have them take a look if they're hitting up that Meijer.

It'll be somewhere in the Meijer parking lot or in the Meijer gas station. They shouldn't have any trouble spotting the construction if it's under construction. It'd be a great help if they could go check it out and send you a few pictures.

Reactions: sdoorex
Just chatted again with the guys in Marquette and it sounds like it will be a little bit before they head to the Soo. The Marquette Supercharger is almost done then they'll finish Esky before heading out to SSM. But this all depends on delivery of equipment, weather, etc. so the plan could change.

The good news is that the plan from Tesla is to have all 3 UP Superchargers commissioned by July 4!