Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but based on the original news release, the last sentence is: "The plans will ultimately have to be approved by Statesville City Council." I just looked through the agendas for the City Council going back to August of 2016 and don't see the SC approval on any of the agendas. So, if the City Council has not approved it, then it may not be approved for construction yet.

Agenda & Minutes

Please correct me if I am wrong, but based on the original news release, the last sentence is: "The plans will ultimately have to be approved by Statesville City Council." I just looked through the agendas for the City Council going back to August of 2016 and don't see the SC approval on any of the agendas. So, if the City Council has not approved it, then it may not be approved for construction yet.

Agenda & Minutes

It is a bit hard to understand why the City Council would be involved in the technical minutia of approving construction plans unless a re-zoning or zoning variance is required. Construction plans are normally approved and permits issued by the Planning and Inspection Departments.

Went by there today since I was driving through and still no activity. The area that was thought to be the location of the supercharger was covered with containers. Seems the Marriott is being renovated and the containers are full of rolls of carpet. If this is the area of the supercharger, many of those containers will need to be gone before construction can begin.
2017-05-24_18-40-31.jpg

For reference, the containers in the photo above are covering this area:
2017-05-24_18-53-27.jpg

Last edited:
So, I have a little bit of bad news about this particular site that I came across not long ago.

I have on good authority that Tesla hasn't actually entered into any agreement with any property owners in Statesville for a supercharger as of yet, let alone started any permitting process or anything like that. So far just informal talking with a few prospective properties.

That said, a Statesville site is likely still many months away, and will probably not be at the location where this thread is assuming it will be. I'd say we'll be lucky if there is one before the end of 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: Drucifer and vdiv
So, I have a little bit of bad news about this particular site that I came across not long ago.

I have on good authority that Tesla hasn't actually entered into any agreement with any property owners in Statesville for a supercharger as of yet, let alone started any permitting process or anything like that. So far just informal talking with a few prospective properties.

That said, a Statesville site is likely still many months away, and will probably not be at the location where this thread is assuming it will be. I'd say we'll be lucky if there is one before the end of 2017.
Looks like it might be a similar situation as the one in Greenville, SC.

Yeah, that's an important intersection and it should be a priority. Even if just driving the Charlotte-Wytheville route I often stop there for a traffic and a coffee break, especially after being in the usual rush hour stop n go exodus from Charlotte.

Zarwin #125 Thanks for the awesome visual. It really helped me get perspective of this future Supercharger location.

Made a few phone calls and this is what I found relevant to the progress of building the Statesville Supercharger.

May 31, 2017
1. Spoke with a lady in the City of Statesville Planning Dept. who said that the permit request had come through their Dept. in October 2016 and that it met their requirements.

2. Spoke with a lady in the Iredell County Planning Dept. who approved and issued the permit in November 2016 for building the Supercharger at 1520 Cinema Drive, Statesville. She said that no one had come in to pick up the permit.

June 1, 2017
Spoke with folks at the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel who were aware of & excited about the Supercharger being built in the back of their parking lot. See Zarwin’s post #125 for an excellent view.

The renovation of the Hotel is scheduled to be completed by June 16, 2017. This means that all, but about 4 of the storage trailers will be removed.

I was also told that some people from Tesla had been out and had drawn some lines in the parking lot. Not sure when this occurred.

No one that I spoke with at the hotel has had any direct contact with Tesla and therefore had no knowledge of any time lines.

Zarwin #125 Thanks for the awesome visual. It really helped me get perspective of this future Supercharger location.

Made a few phone calls and this is what I found relevant to the progress of building the Statesville Supercharger.

May 31, 2017
1. Spoke with a lady in the City of Statesville Planning Dept. who said that the permit request had come through their Dept. in October 2016 and that it met their requirements.

2. Spoke with a lady in the Iredell County Planning Dept. who approved and issued the permit in November 2016 for building the Supercharger at 1520 Cinema Drive, Statesville. She said that no one had come in to pick up the permit.

June 1, 2017
Spoke with folks at the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel who were aware of & excited about the Supercharger being built in the back of their parking lot. See Zarwin’s post #125 for an excellent view.

The renovation of the Hotel is scheduled to be completed by June 16, 2017. This means that all, but about 4 of the storage trailers will be removed.

I was also told that some people from Tesla had been out and had drawn some lines in the parking lot. Not sure when this occurred.

No one that I spoke with at the hotel has had any direct contact with Tesla and therefore had no knowledge of any time lines.

You have ONE post on this forum, and it's this awesome and informative. You rock, mysterious new user. :p

Reactions: Drucifer

May 31, 2017

June 1, 2017

Wonder who owns the underlying dirt?

It is a bit out of the way.

Do you find the Nissan Dealership receptive to allowing you to charge? What's the protocol?

Yeah, there are trade offs.

The Nissan Dealership is extremely Tesla friendly. I've been there two or three times, and they've been welcoming and helpful promptly moving ICE cars out of the way. It's also accessible 24x7 (or least it was last year and the year before that).

Sometimes the Chademo will overhear and blow a circuit breaker. You can reset it with the large breaker handle on the side of the building. I didn't do this the first year when it happened, which the required me to take a detour south to Charlotte to supercharge there.

May 31, 2017

June 1, 2017

Thank you gonzo, that was a lot of great detective work you did and it is very much appreciated! Welcome to the forums! Also, great handle, nod to Jim Henson.

It is a bit out of the way.

Do you find the Nissan Dealership receptive to allowing you to charge? What's the protocol?
I have used the Nissan charger in Hickory several times and all of the times, they have been great hosts and very receptive to hear about the Tesla experience. Also, I have used other Nissan chademo chargers and have had a similar experience at almost all of them.

Also, to answer your question about protocol, they usually put a cone in the space to reserve it for EVs, you just need to move the cone and put it back when you leave.