Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After someone re-posted a tiktok video of a 20+ car line here at Tejon Ranch (unclear exactly when the video was taken, I'm guessing late afternoon by the shadows, probably a Sunday or Memorial Day weekend, I'd wager), Elon replied that a massive increase is underway. I suppose 76 stalls across two locations within 10 miles of here is pretty good. But I suspect that this location will continue to be a chokepoint - there is still a massive hole between Tejon Ranch and Visalia - something in Bakersfield proper is desperately needed.

Reactions: Araman0 and 1100MCM
I'm surprised Tesla can't have a flatbed, with 10-15 SC hanging off the side, with all the transformer and other required infrastructure in the center of the flatbed, and from THERE they just have some giant umbilical that they can connect to a large warehouse, manufacturing or business or trucking center or shipping distribution center that isn't going to be occupied during peak times.. Just off the highway, not too far the road or maybe other SC's. totally termporary SC, but then they just pay the bill to the business (which must already have maybe 1000amps/2000 KW) during the time that the umbilical is plugged in. I'm sure they could push temporary SC's to cars in nav devices so it would appear to be a commuting only SC for these holiday periods. The portable battery versions are fine, but i'm sure they can't last too long at all.

I'm surprised Tesla can't have a flatbed, with 10-15 SC hanging off the side, with all the transformer and other required infrastructure in the center of the flatbed, and from THERE they just have some giant umbilical that they can connect to a large warehouse, manufacturing or business or trucking center or shipping distribution center that isn't going to be occupied during peak times.. Just off the highway, not too far the road or maybe other SC's. totally termporary SC, but then they just pay the bill to the business (which must already have maybe 1000amps/2000 KW) during the time that the umbilical is plugged in. I'm sure they could push temporary SC's to cars in nav devices so it would appear to be a commuting only SC for these holiday periods. The portable battery versions are fine, but i'm sure they can't last too long at all.
Something kind of similar to that is doable in the form of a mobile substation. But that would make Tesla dependent on the utility company to ensure it would work. There could be capacity or other electrical distribution infrastructure that may not be able to handle that setup at the supercharger location. Of course that would be solved if this mobile substation could be located at a place where the distribution system could handle it, even if away from existing superchargers. Regardless, once third parties beyond Tesla get involved in a setup like this then it won't be as seamless and convenient as we'd like.

Something kind of similar to that is doable in the form of a mobile substation. But that would make Tesla dependent on the utility company to ensure it would work. There could be capacity or other electrical distribution infrastructure that may not be able to handle that setup at the supercharger location. Of course that would be solved if this mobile substation could be located at a place where the distribution system could handle it, even if away from existing superchargers. Regardless, once third parties beyond Tesla get involved in a setup like this then it won't be as seamless and convenient as we'd like.
Sort of, but as I mentioned Tesla HAS these flatbeds, but they are mostly battery powered, or sometimes re-charged by the local SC if/when there is no usage. My thinking is, in the areas of major travel, there MUST be business with significant power connections for WHEN they are using power for their regular operations, but on holiday weekends they may be either mostly idle or or very low use. If that is the case, could a flatbed SC with 10-15 SC’s jack in to that already defined and confirmed power draw, and make it available to Tesla for holiday high peak travel.

After someone re-posted a tiktok video of a 20+ car line here at Tejon Ranch (unclear exactly when the video was taken, I'm guessing late afternoon by the shadows, probably a Sunday or Memorial Day weekend, I'd wager), Elon replied that a massive increase is underway. I suppose 76 stalls across two locations within 10 miles of here is pretty good. But I suspect that this location will continue to be a chokepoint - there is still a massive hole between Tejon Ranch and Visalia - something in Bakersfield proper is desperately needed.

24 people in line but "Mom" had no problem topping up the car to 100% during her "quick charge" and then posting a video to bitch?

Thanks Mom, you're part of the problem. You can travel in literally any direction from Tejon Ranch and not need anywhere near a 100% charge to get to another charger.

24 people in line but "Mom" had no problem topping up the car to 100% during her "quick charge" and then posting a video to bitch?

Thanks Mom, you're part of the problem. You can travel in literally any direction from Tejon Ranch and not need anywhere near a 100% charge to get to another charger.

I'm curious why the station even allowed a 100% charge. The busy stations around here automatically cap you at 80% SOC.

Model Y LR AWD with 19inch wheels. With performance wheels you may need to slow down. I think I charged up between 230-240 miles in Santa Clarita, then drove 75-80 miles to Traver.

For what it's worth, I did this drive today and it turned out to be a no-brainer to skip Tejon Ranch on the way south in a MYP. 90% charge at Traver (easy to kill ~25 minutes poking around at Bravo Farms) got me to Santa Clarita with 31%. Tesla nav prediction was accurate to within ~2% for every leg of the drive with me keeping it to under 110% of speed limit.

Tejon Ranch had 1-2 spots available around dinner time Wednesday, and on mid-day Saturday was showing as full with a wait.

For what it's worth, I did this drive today and it turned out to be a no-brainer to skip Tejon Ranch on the way south in a MYP. 90% charge at Traver (easy to kill ~25 minutes poking around at Bravo Farms) got me to Santa Clarita with 31%. Tesla nav prediction was accurate to within ~2% for every leg of the drive with me keeping it to under 110% of speed limit.

Tejon Ranch had 1-2 spots available around dinner time Wednesday, and on mid-day Saturday was showing as full with a wait.
That is pretty good but this does show how much of a gap there is on the 99 Freeway while the 5 Freeway has many chargers. One coming to Visalia will help a little bit but we need something in Bakersfield or Delano I would think here in the future.

That is pretty good but this does show how much of a gap there is on the 99 Freeway while the 5 Freeway has many chargers. One coming to Visalia will help a little bit but we need something in Bakersfield or Delano I would think here in the future.
On all the state’s major north to south routes: 99, 5, 101, and 395, this 110 mile gap between Traver and Tejon Ranch will be the largest gap between superchargers after Susanville is complete. Still a glaring omission in 2021.

Agreed—and even Traver was getting busy by mid-morning (did not help that multiple stalls were broken). But setting aside the ones at that charger I simply didn’t see that many Teslas on Hwy 99, though. Maybe a total of 3-4 on the road between Yosemite and Tejon Ranch?

But setting aside the ones at that charger I simply didn’t see that many Teslas on Hwy 99, though. Maybe a total of 3-4 on the road between Yosemite and Tejon Ranch?
Like any other route, “if you build it they will come.” There won’t be much Teslas simply because it’s not the most ideal option to travel through if there isn’t many supercharger options. If there isn’t many supercharger options then some may go out of their way to use a route that has more supercharger options.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Like any other route, “if you build it they will come.” There won’t be much Teslas simply because it’s not the most ideal option to travel through if there isn’t many supercharger options. If there isn’t many supercharger options then some may go out of their way to use a route that has more supercharger options.
Agreed. On a recent road trip from Sacramento to LA, I took the 5 because of the dearth of chargers along the 99, which would normally be my preferred route. Add some chargers along the 99 and you’d see a lot more Tesla’s along that route.