Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> My part of Alaska is the standard by which all other road-connected parts of that state compare themselves. [AudobonB]

Three questions:

1. Elevation?

2. Are you most generally exposed to the balmy Alaska Current or to The Polar Air Mass?

3. How near to Denali itself?

4. Above answers are irrelevant: It's ALL bad news!

Thanks for playing!
--

One small blemish on my visit today. The parking lot in front of the PD was completely empty. EXCEPT for one very loud red Dodge parked in 1A of the clearly marked Supercharger spots. Go figure. With vanity Arizona plate with LADY831. Go get'um Audie!

I think the owner of that red Dodge works at the civic center there so I wouldn't bother them. They used to park across from the superchargers and started parking in the 1A slot probably to avoid door dings I would guess. I've only ever seen one other charging Tesla in Wickenberg so it's not a very big deal at the moment if someone ice's a spot here and there.

I've told a shop owner that the Tesla station brought me to their store, figuring it would be a good will kind of thing for these little-used locations.

(above poster was describing Kingman. Here is Wickenburg)
I have talked to a number of the W'burg merchants within walking distance of organizing some kind of flyer that could be stocked alongside the chargers, but nothing yet. The very nicest aspect of the downtown eatery choices is that without exception, every one is family-owned/non-franchised. I first tried making this list without my personal bias, but on second go round, I'll let my preferences rule. Still, here is a list organized by "probable time length", all of these are within short stroll of the chargers - to the left on Tegner and some to the left again on Wickenburg Way:

Quicker charge:
Bedoian's Cafe: friendly oddity in a cowboy town - middle Eastern/New York cafe run by a Lebanese family....although matron was born in Fairbanks AK!!! Owner Vic Bedoian was the single most enthusiastic merchant when we were testifying to the town council about bringing in Superchargers. Fairly light fare.
Nana's Sandwich Saloon: very good sandwiches, quiches and the like in a homey structure.

Longer charge:
Wickenburg Feed Company: a new place we've not yet been to, but has good reputation. We'll make a point of going there just so as to be able to provide feed feedback. If editing this post isn't a possibility, look lower down for an update.
Anita's Cocina: the dean of the town's restaurants. Traditional northern Sonoran cuisine - ie, very heavy Mexican. Our Mexican sister-in-law won't visit Wickenburg without eating there, but we find it too heavy and...not that you would partake of them if charging your Model S...its margaritas to be poor. Still, many consider it to be synonymous with a visit to this town.

There also are the traditional cowboy feed lots. At least the first two have been around since before Jenny was a toddler growing up here. There isn't anything wrong with them; I've been to them all but haven't a lot of reason to return. Probably your best choice if you want biscuits 'n gravy, though:
Rancho Bar 7
Horseshoe Cafe
Twin Wheels Cafe

It's a shame the downtown barbecue joint, Hog Trough, had to quench their cooker. Owner developed Stage IV cancer last summer. We keep hope it will be resuscitated as it was very, very good. Likewise, in an extremely unfortunate decision, the other town mainstay, Chaparral, "Chaparral Homemade Ice Cream and Sweet Treats. Serving Sodas, Sandwiches, Salads, Sundaes and Smiles" upped stakes last month after decades, and moved 800 yards across the bridge to a regrettably awkward strip mall site. That makes it a 12-15 minute walk each way - too far!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Wickenburg need J-1772

Tesla has a great location in Wickenburg . A few local Green Groups hotels in the area are also getting 3 or more Tesla S high power chargers. So any Tesla S 3 X will have it made. But not the Roadster or many other plugins. Please help encourage this are to add a few.

A few of us have been asking the council and hotels for at least a few J-1772 locations so other plugins can get to and from Wickenburg. We love Tesla just just want a few choices for all the other slower running, shorter range plugin cars. In the Original council request they asked for some but it never happened. They can just be at local plaza's and hotels. Then everyone can enjoy this beautiful area of Arizona.

ORIGINAL REQUESTS
Council directives were:
1) Way too many parking spots requested - 2 appeared to be OK.
2) Town hall location not really very good - they will revisit other possible sites in the central business district.
3) Request inclusion of J-1772 facilities for all the rest of plug-in world.
4) Inclusion of an out clause in the agreement, should things go poorly in the future.

Jim, 2015 SOUL EV owner, white ,J-1772 and CHAdeMO ports. (Tesla III future owner)

Seems they never added any J-1772 in town so only a Tesla can get a charge out of Wickenburg. The local all told us to go and charge our LEAF at the Tesla Super Chargers with no idea they can't do anything except a Tesla S, not even a Tesla Roadster. We stopped at a very friendly and helpful RV park behind the fast food Mcy D's and got a charge. Luck we carry a EVSE with many plugs with us. I also have a SOUL EV and a FOR Focus EV that can only use J-1772.

The Original Town Requests were not completed. Maybe some day a local company or Hotel will add a few J-1772 and get some extra visitors =D--------

ORIGINAL REQUESTS
Council directives were:
1) Way too many parking spots requested - 2 appeared to be OK.
2) Town hall location not really very good - they will revisit other possible sites in the central business district.
3) Request inclusion of J-1772 facilities for all the rest of plug-in world.
4) Inclusion of an out clause in the agreement, should things go poorly in the future.

Jim, 2015 SOUL EV owner, white ,J-1772 and CHAdeMO ports. (Tesla III future owner)[/QUOTE]

As someone who most definitely was at that meeting, and who has had numerous follow-up meetings with the Town Manager and Head of Facilities, those were not, to my recollection, council directives, even if they were your own expressed desires.

1. "Way too many". I agree that at present, there rarely are more than three Model Ss charging. Nevertheless, were you to see the problems other SpCs face, with congestion becoming a problem even in these early years, you might appreciate that here is one site that likely won't confront that problem for some time.

2. "Location not very good". I cannot disagree more strongly. The Town Hall is dead-central to the CBD; there is a set of clean and safe restrooms open 24 hours inside the Town Hall; it is adjacent to the Police Station; it is neutral wrt not giving preferential treatment to one merchant over any other; within strolling distance there are a nice number of very good food emporia - every one of them individually owned with not a fast-food chain around; it is an attractive location with shade trees and a small sculpture- and flower garden - I certainly do have a bias but it is so far in front of being the single very nicest SpC site I ever have been to or seen pictures of that there really is no second place.

3. "Inclusion of J-1772". To be paid for by whom? If you recall the discussion, it was made clear that Tesla Motors paid for the creation of the facility - transformers and all. Tesla Motors pays for the electricity. Tesla Motors pays a monthly rental for each of the parking sites. And so....

4. "Inclusion of an out clause". Included.

"Maybe some day a local company or Hotel will add a few J-1772 and get some extra visitors" There is a Best Western at the south (or west) end of Tegner; there is a Quality Inn beyond the fast-food waistland at the west end of town. You might consider approaching them with your ideas.

No, there are no typos in the above post.

I think in just a few years 80-mile-range EVs will be obsolete. When Tesla and Chevy release their 200-mile-range Model 3 and Bolt respectively, Nissan will (have to) do the same for the Leaf to remain competitive. With that kind of range, one can take long trips. But I think the owners of those cars will be more interested in 50KW DC fast chargers (aka L3) than in 30 amp L2 chargers. The L2s will work as destination chargers, so hopefully most hotels will adopt them, but I don't think anyone will push them aside from the manufacturers.

HEADS-UP NOTICE

We don't have a central "Supercharger Warning Site" on TMC, which is too bad as there's little reason for travelers between, say, Phoenix and California or Las Vegas to peruse each SpC site's thread. Regardless, here's one for Wickenburg.

Next Saturday, 13 February, is the town's "Gold Rush Days" mid-town parade. Not only are Rtes 60 & Tegner St mostly impassable...and definitely interesting...from early morning until early afternoon, but parking is chock-a-block.

And that means the Town Hall parking lot that hosts the Superchargers. Last year, we had two chargers coned off and that worked well, but I strongly counsel those who can to try to snag full charges in Kingman, Quartzite, Buckeye....if you think you'll be passing through Wickenburg any time Saturday before, say 1pm.

The good news is that if you are Supercharging there, you'll get a chance to see a really great old-time parade. Best viewing spot is one block west of the SpC on N. Railroad. Ever seen a longhorn steer....riding inside a convertible?
IMG_0585 (1).jpg

We don't have a central "Supercharger Warning Site" on TMC, which is too bad as there's little reason for travelers between, say, Phoenix and California or Las Vegas to peruse each SpC site's thread. Regardless, here's one for Wickenburg....

Ever seen a longhorn steer....riding inside a convertible?

I've never seen a long horn being ridden bareback down the road, either, but there it is.

Looks like the "convertible" isn't convertible any more. He's got the windshield and roof out.

Two new charging bays have been added, for a total of 8 chargers in Wickenburg. When I drove in to charge, there was a Tesla service guy waiting for the next car to arrive. He asked me to test out the two new chargers for him. Both were operating at 118 kW according to my car.

So the slot order is now quite odd: 1a, 2a, 3a, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4a, 4b

That ought to keep people guessing. :)

Here's a picture of my car charging on 4a, the first car to ever charge at the new stall. :D

Wickenburg.jpg