Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think it might make sense. One common secure shipping point. The crew gets to go home on occasion and see their family and pick up supplies for the next job. I think all the supplies used get sent to their main office in PA. I know the ones in Brandon & Portage were labeled to PA. Still no action in Brandon so I suspect it will be the last, after Winnipeg gets completed or the crew splits up to mount the equipment in Brandon & others mount the pedestals in Winnipeg.

Looks like cabinets are going in.

Attachments

• BDF9F3A6-B3C8-444C-B7E6-6AC2B9913D13.jpeg
    BDF9F3A6-B3C8-444C-B7E6-6AC2B9913D13.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 101
Wow these guys move fast! Checked the site 24 hours later and 8 pedestals are up and the cables look rather svelte so fairly certain 8 x 250 kW!

I think most sites between Ottawa and Calgary are almost ready to go so hopefully switch will be flipped in next few weeks, maybe at the Tesla truck unveil promised this month! Blade Runner is set In LA in November 2019, and as luck would have it LA auto Show starts November 22 so that's my vote for Truck reveal and ribbon cutting of completed TransCanada Supercharger network! If you can't tell, I'm pretty excited! :-D

Attachments

• 20191102_191512.jpg
    20191102_191512.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20191102_191200.jpg
    20191102_191200.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20191102_191110.jpg
    20191102_191110.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20191102_191117.jpg
    20191102_191117.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 77
New member here. Excited to pull the trigger on my first EV purchase. I live in rural Manitoba so completion of the Superchargers are a prerequisite for my travel habits before buying. I confess that I actually check this site daily and appreciate the updates on the Manitoba sites. I have been researching about cold weather usage and there are plenty of videos to see, but I would really like to get insight from other Manitoba owners. Is there a Manitoba Thread I could get on?

Reactions: bpjod and IdaX
New member here. Excited to pull the trigger on my first EV purchase. I live in rural Manitoba so completion of the Superchargers are a prerequisite for my travel habits before buying. I confess that I actually check this site daily and appreciate the updates on the Manitoba sites. I have been researching about cold weather usage and there are plenty of videos to see, but I would really like to get insight from other Manitoba owners. Is there a Manitoba Thread I could get on?
Welcome to the forum ChopperMB.
Made a round - trip through Portage to Winnipeg with a tail wind and got great mileage @ -6C. Only a 15% loss in range. Did some driving around and a visit to Costco.
However, on the return trip with a 21Km or more cross/head wind the return was difficult. Had to stop @ 4 Way Motors in MacGregor to top up, but left about 10 minutes too early and had to make another stop in Carberry to get enough to get home. That wind seems to be worse than the -6C temperatures. In the summer, I can make the round trip to Winnipeg & home & have plenty of reserve.

Not knowing where in MB you live, I can't give you too much info. Send me a PM when you are allowed to (I think you need more posts) and let me know your needs or post them in the forum.

While in Portage and Winnipeg, I dropped by both Super Charger sites. It looks like they have the Pedestals for Brandon on the trailer & AFIK, Brandon will be the last place to get completed. I always said that if the world ended I wanted to be in Brandon as it is five years behind.
YWG Bdn Pedestals 20191104.jpg

Plan for half of your rated range. You’ll get more, but this will keep you safe.

Use seat (and steering wheel) heaters rather than the heater fan for warmth, the power usage difference is very big.

Heat the car while it’s plugged in before you leave as much as possible. Even a 110 outlet makes a difference here.

Use PlugShare to find charging options along your route in case of a problem.

Don’t push your luck with the battery range.

Don’t let this list freak you out. In many ways they are better cars in winter. They’re just different.

I'm still confused about the "heat before you unplug" advice I see on these sites. With the Model 3 if I schedule charging and it finishes, does it still use the house power to run the heaters while plugged in - or does it use the battery and expect to charge next night?

I'm still confused about the "heat before you unplug" advice I see on these sites. With the Model 3 if I schedule charging and it finishes, does it still use the house power to run the heaters while plugged in - or does it use the battery and expect to charge next night?
I think with the latest update, it will pre-condition based on departure time. I do the precondition prior leaving and before unplugging, but when at home, I don't have any concern about SOC. Any concerns I might have about travel between Brandon & Winnipeg & back, will be taken care of by the Portage or Winnipeg SuC, in the very near future, I HOPE!

I can verify that while plugged in and not actively charging (i.e. charged to target overnight), when preheating the car, it will draw power from the wall circuit. Depending on how much you can draw from the wall, it could pull power from the battery (e.g. if you're only on a household plug like 120V/15A circuit).

Plan for half of your rated range. You’ll get more, but this will keep you safe.

Use seat (and steering wheel) heaters rather than the heater fan for warmth, the power usage difference is very big.

Heat the car while it’s plugged in before you leave as much as possible. Even a 110 outlet makes a difference here.

Don’t let this list freak you out. In many ways they are better cars in winter. They’re just different.
Thanks for the replies. I live about 50 km south of Brandon. We put approximately 65,000 km per year on our two vehicles and the fuel adds up. My concern with these cars aren’t so much range as it is handling in snow and possibly bangin thru the odd drift. We have a pickup and a larger SUV currently which gives peace of mind getting in and out during a storm.

Thanks for the replies. I live about 50 km south of Brandon. We put approximately 65,000 km per year on our two vehicles and the fuel adds up. My concern with these cars aren’t so much range as it is handling in snow and possibly bangin thru the odd drift. We have a pickup and a larger SUV currently which gives peace of mind getting in and out during a storm.

The drifts would concern me a bit. I live in the city nw, but grew up country so I understand your concerns experientially. I would advise you to dodge big drifts as much as possible, there’s a lot of tech on the front bumper, so you’ll want to protect it. Having said that, my MS is every bit the equal of my ram 3500 diesel dually in the snow, perhaps better. (I own both).

The only thing I'm disappointed about is based on Plugshare, I don't see an easy way to get to the Assesippi ski area and back, even when Brandon Supercharger opens.

Call the hill and see if they have a charger, or would let you charge onsite somewhere there. Maybe even offer to help with getting one installed. I’ve worked with Tesla for a few installs, and completely paid another out of my own pocket (I bought a used L2 charger and paid the electrician).

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP and XHabjab
I don't live in MB, but my experience through several winters with my Model S is that my AWD with snow tires handles extremely well in the snow. I imagine you are purchasing a Model 3 - I don't know about the sensor configuration on that model but whoever designed the front sensor on the Model S had very little experience with snow and slush - it gets covered by slush in no time. Maybe slush is less of an issue in MB with consistentely colder temps.

You may also find out the Prairies may have these things called BLOCK HEATER plugs that amazingly look like 110v outlets!
So they can at least keep your battery warm while plugged in (if the plug is active).

Reactions: Vawlkus
If you want to take a ride and see how it feels without going to Minneapolis or Calgary, send me a pm and the next time you are in Brandon, you can take a test drive iñ mine. Personally don't think the clearance would be a problem and doubt there would be a problem with the sensors IMHO. But having said that, I haven't driven it in the winter on country roads.