Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woburn, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the almost 3 1/2 years since I got my Tesla, the area below has had ONLY 2 new Superchargers added... but what the heck, Tesla?
There is plenty of spacing between Superchargers in MA for even a range-limited Model S 60s to be able to transition the area successfully, so I think Tesla has done a heck of a job.

(IMHO, the worse thing is traveling on a Saturday and arriving at a Supercharger as an interim waypoint only to find it full of locals doing their weekly charging. having a 25 minute charge stop turn into an hour waiting for the locals to clear out sucks)

Reactions: Ron_M3
As an outsider, I've noticed an almost an absurd unwillingness of locals to refer to 95/128 as I-95.

The Feds changed a few years ago how they prioritize the signage. If you're over 35 years old, there is a time where 128 was more prominent on the signage than 95.

We can tell where you're from, how old you are and/or how long you've lived here based on your observation.

The Feds changed a few years ago how they prioritize the signage. If you're over 35 years old, there is a time where 128 was more prominent on the signage than 95.

We can tell where you're from, how old you are and/or how long you've lived here based on your observation.
Ah, I miss the good old days, when you could be traveling on 128 southbound and I-93 northbound at the same time...

Permit status update - Woburn has received some updated documents from Tesla, but is still waiting for more - so the building permit itself has not yet been issued. So no need for daily drive-by's just yet :)
As of yesterday, no motion on this. Woburn is still waiting for documents from Tesla before they can issue a building permit. Don't know what the holdup is on Tesla's end - Tesla may be focusing on other projects before circling back to completing the design (or whatever documents Woburn is waiting for). But that's just a guess.

As of yesterday, no motion on this. Woburn is still waiting for documents from Tesla before they can issue a building permit. Don't know what the holdup is on Tesla's end - Tesla may be focusing on other projects before circling back to completing the design (or whatever documents Woburn is waiting for). But that's just a guess.
Could always try tweeting the Tesla supercharger account but I wouldn’t expect them to answer though hahah

• Funny
Reactions: Tdreamer
Finally saw a construction permit issued for this site on 4/27/21. It's not being built by the same contractor who's done many of the New England sites over the past few years (Gordon Building & Excavation). This one is being done by New England Electrical Contracting Corp.

I guess it's time to start monitoring the site for start of construction from time-to-time.

1620143667132.png

EDIT: this is the same contractor that pulled the permit for the Stoughton Target project as well:

1620145193008.png

Last edited:
GPS location for the supercharger: 42.518422,-71.1377202

And site plan attached. The site plan was subsequently amended to include two accessible parking spaces and one additional accessible Chargepoint L2 post (for 3 total Chargepoint posts I believe)

Attachments

• Woburn MA_T-1266_CD100_Rev-3_01-27-21.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 83
Thinking about it further, I think I was wrong in my comment about NEECC being a second contractor in addition to Gordon. I think NEECC is the electrical contractor on the project, working with Gordon (or whomever) doing the actual construction. (sorry for the misleading comment - too late to edit the original post)

Interesting, the site plan schematics shows a 1000 kVA transformer specified for 3 charging cabinets. Lets see what they actually install. Now we've seen V3 sites with 3 cabinets with 500 kVA, 750 kVA and 1000 kVA transformers installed/specified. Quite a variation for the same number of chargers....

Interesting, the site plan schematics shows a 1000 kVA transformer specified for 3 charging cabinets. Lets see what they actually install. Now we've seen V3 sites with 3 cabinets with 500 kVA, 750 kVA and 1000 kVA transformers installed/specified. Quite a variation for the same number of chargers....
Huh. Assuming power factor is 1 (which, c'mon, you're making DC power; you better be able to control your power factor), divide 1000 by √3 to get 768 kW available. So if all 12 stalls are in use, that's only 64 kW each. Which is the car's capability at 80% state of charge.

I guess you don't want to show up when they're all in use!

Huh. Assuming power factor is 1 (which, c'mon, you're making DC power; you better be able to control your power factor), divide 1000 by √3 to get 768 kW available. So if all 12 stalls are in use, that's only 64 kW each. Which is the car's capability at 80% state of charge.

Oil-filled transformers are able to run past 100% until they get too hot. Around where I live most houses with 200 AMP service only have 10kva transformers.

I happened to drive by today, and finally, it looks like some activity on the site. This picture is from the corner of the lot (green), showing the conduit excavation markings (yellow) towards the utility manhole (red), consistent with the site plan. Looks like excavation could be starting shortly...

And no, I didn't paint those marks myself :)

IMG_2870.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.22.13 PM.png

Last edited:
I happened to drive by today, and finally, it looks like some activity on the site. This picture is from the corner of the lot (green), showing the conduit excavation markings (yellow) towards the utility manhole (red), consistent with the site plan. Looks like excavation could be starting shortly...

And no, I didn't paint those marks myself :)

View attachment 661440View attachment 661441
Nice. I took the Commerce Way, I-93 exit Sunday and thought to look over at the site, but didn't see that (no surprise.)

Where did you get the √3 from? The formula is P(kW) = S(kVA) × PF, so if the power factor is 1 you get 1000kW available for 1000kVA transformer.