Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else a little concerned at what the effect of the Tesla Charging team being fired will have for the rollout of future Superchargers in Australia?

I second expansion of existing locations.

Also, this will not impact any state funded sites.
Can't see how it will not impact state funded sites. Hard to do anything without employees. There is no binding contract with the state funded sites that Tesla will install sites. They either deliver the sites and get the grant money or not deliver and forgo the grant money.

Expansion of exisiting sites is not really any easy than new sites. In some cases maybe yes, but in allot no. Any if you have no employees left and the relationships with site owners even less so.

Mass uptake of EV depends on the ability to travel anywhere without specific planning for easy plug and play fast charging.

I am curious though why people now say reducing Supercharger build out is a bad idea, when no other EV manufacturer in Australia is even installing similar.

Reactions: Jules22
There clearly is a plan in place. They now have all auto makers using their network which is extremely profitable, if anyone thinks they are just going to shut down I think they are grossly mistaken.

They are likely 4 or 5 steps ahead of this news I would just wait for the other pieces fall into place. People keep falling for the FUD and going into knee jerk mode only to realise there was nothing to it. But they fall for it every single time.

There clearly is a plan in place. They now have all auto makers using their network which is extremely profitable, if anyone thinks they are just going to shut down I think they are grossly mistaken.

They are likely 4 or 5 steps ahead of this news I would just wait for the other pieces fall into place. People keep falling for the FUD and going into knee jerk mode only to realise there was nothing to it. But they fall for it every single time.
Wasn't there an investor call last week? You would've though this would be a good time to share details of the definite plan in place for the future of Tesla Charging... y'know, proactively share instead of letting this so called 'FUD' spread.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
BTW I'm not making any judgement at this point that this is a good move.

I'm just going to wait till the dust settles and we have some facts rather than fall for the sky is falling BS that people repeatedly fall for.

It could very well turn out that this was a bad move. Until we have facts it's just guesswork right now and that has almost never gone well in relation to Tesla moves in the past.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
The guy fired 80% of Twitter staff and added more features than it did in its entire existence under the previous management. So let’s wait & watch before jumping to conclusions. Meanwhile, please take a vaccine against STED (Smarter Than Elon Disease) 🤣

100% I loved Twitter in its early days but it became trash years ago and I stopped using it. It's been great to see it turn around and become usable again.

You'd think people world learn to stop making these knee jerk sky is falling reactions and at least wait for the dust to settle before reaching a conclusion based on "inside sources" in publications that have an almost 100% failure rate at any semblance of accurate reporting yet the same people keep falling for it every time.

They are likely 4 or 5 steps ahead of this news
I wonder...
Rocketman probably tried to get the head of Supercharging to reduce staff, but she didn't want to - suggesting that he thought she and the other bloke was not serious about being "hardcore about head count and cost reduction".

Smarter Than Elon Disease
History suggests commentators saying Rocketman is doing another stupid thing seem to be the ones with egg on their face.
The commentary conveniently does not address the elephant in the room - they say Tesla is dumb for sacking the entire supercharger team and slowing down SC installations but at the same time the same commentators are not pointing the finger at the other EV manufacturers for not implementing their own DCFC network in Australia?

commentators are not pointing the finger at the other EV manufacturers for not implementing their own DCFC network in Australia?
Two things:
1) We don't have high standards for the other manufacturers
2) We don't want every manufacturer to build their own separate charging network. Tesla *had* to, because in 2013 no-one else was doing it. And everyone else was so disinterested in it, that they grew to become the market leader.

According to Electrek they are already pulling back out of new SC plans in NY.

Fact check is required obviously, as always correlation does not mean causation. There might be new better locations, we'll see - and I'm unsure how this impacts AU as well.

Reactions: RichardV