Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why you feel so uncomfortable about people criticising decisions by the company.
I don't in the slightest. Just think it's very silly to go flying off the handle repeatedly with no information when time and time again it has worked out that there was a plan and the end result was better.

As many have pointed out, while we'd love to know everything, Tesla is a business and there are many commercial reasons not to advertise every move you are making.

Reactions: elddum
Yep, more evidence that all the gnashing of teeth was totally unnecessary.

Not at all. To me, it is proof of incompetence and everything I have been saying.

That email (as limited in detail as it is) should have been part of the comms plan and sent to everyone on 30 April, just after the announcement was made. They even acknowledge there have been “concerns” and yet they have let that fester for 10 days?

What do you think excuses or justifies sending that email now instead of 10 days ago?

Unpopular opinion:
I think the last industry we should be relying on to build out public DC charging is the Fossil Fuel Industry.
Yeah I definitely get that point of view.

I think they are obviously smart enough to understand their survival hinges on adapting though.

BP already committed 1 Billion this year, 100 Million of which, that we know of so far, has gone to Tesla for purchase of V4 chargers.

It seems that they are pretty serious and per my earlier posts they have the interest and experience in building all of the ancillary services.

At the end of the day, if they don't or don't do it well, someone else will step in and I think they know that. I still don't see Tesla stopping either, I suspect they'll focus on filling holes where others won't and expanding current sites.

We already have two large players in the game with Tesla that we know of. It's going to become competitive for them to ensure they are capturing the market to maximise their returns. To do that they are going to need to be putting stations where people need them so I think I have a more positive view on it, though I understand completely the trepidation.

Reactions: Wol747
If there's only $100m left for the remaining 8 months then that's a massive slow down.
What are the other Ev manufacturers putting into the kitty?.

So if the budget for year is $500M and they already spent $400M there is $100M left. Are you expecting Tesla to exceed its annual budget?. By what?. Another $700M to add to the $100m remaining? - because 4 months have passed and there is 8 months left?.

Last edited:
Reactions: elddum and Jules22
Engineers are not normally known for their commanding skills in the use of the English language
Speak for yourself mate.

As for writing standards well, it's a mindset. "What behaviour am I encouraging and how can it be circumvented?" It's a way of thinking that many people struggle with, irrespective of whether they're engineers or not IMHO.

What are the other Ev manufacturers putting into the kitty?.

So if the budget for year is $500M and they already spent $400M there is $100M left. Are you expecting Tesla to exceed its annual budget?. By what?. Another $800M - because 4 months have passed and there is 8 months left?. 🤦

This is the key question. The expectation that Tesla MUST continue at the same pace forever or else is ludicrous when nobody is holding any other manufacturer to any standard at all.

Re the $500M, the literal reading of Elon's post is that he is committing 500 from now forward, the 400 figure is just something the poster has plucked out of thin air to try to make a point. We don't know for certain if that is what he meant, and they are under no obligation to have to explain in detail at this point, but the common sense interpretation is that there is a further 500 on top of whatever they may have spent to this point.

Whatever it actually means, my only take home message for me is it does not contradict the earlier statement made that SC rollout continues albeit at a slower pace.

Only those outside of Tesla continue to parrot an incorrect (by any metric) view that Tesla has stopped the SC project altogether

Capital is being removed/reduced/ reallocated from the electrification of cars around the world. Oh but Tesla must keep spending $$$$ even if they may not/don't have it.
I'm not sure why people feel so aggrieved about Tesla slowing down the SC network rollout, if they don't at the same time also hold the other EV manufacturer's feet to the fire re DCFC.

It is not Tesla's role to electrify the worldwide car fleet, or power its mobility. There are a lot of players. Expecting one to carry the burden is not only illogical but can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Whatever it actually means, my only take home message for me is it does not contradict the earlier statement made that SC rollout continues albeit at a slower pace.

Only those outside of Tesla continue to parrot an incorrect (by any metric) view that Tesla has stopped the SC project altogether

Capital is being removed/reduced/ reallocated from the electrification of cars around the world. Oh but Tesla must keep spending $$$$ even if they may not/don't have it.
I'm not sure why people feel so aggrieved about Tesla slowing down the SC network rollout, if they don't at the same time also hold the other EV manufacturer's feet to the fire re DCFC.

It is not Tesla's role to electrify the worldwide car fleet, or power its mobility. There are a lot of players. Expecting one to carry the burden is not only illogical but can be dangerous.
Yep, 100%, when you are bleeding 1 Billion a year, it would be irresponsible not to redirect CAPEX away from low margin areas to higher margin areas, particularly if you already have deals in place which are likely to actually accelerate the deployment of chargers and increase your margins on those deployments at the same time.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
I think there are multiple things contributing to this.

Elon is getting investor pressure as sales are slowing and there is a global EV price war, particularly with the Chinese manufacturers, and even some suggestions of high stock levels among various Chinese manufacturers in Europe.

And at the same time for every car Tesla sells they are investing up to US$5k (old estimate which I suspect has fallen gradually) in the supercharger - something with a slow yet dependable ROI - arguably not good for a growth stock company, and something the others don't do.

Opening up the chargers takes away the walled garden Tesla had , but was probably necessary to prevent regulation (particularly in Europe) and access government funding (like NEVI in the US, and the NSW/ Qld funding that Tesla won locally)

Plus you've seemingly got a large disagreement between a senior manager and Elon.

--

The petrol companies and/or fast food restaurants obviously own / lease a lot of prime land along Australia's highways that have much of the necessary infrastructure (off ramps and carparks) and just need power and stalls.

And obviously highway sites are important as we get more EVs.

Opening up the chargers takes away the walled garden Tesla had , but was probably necessary to prevent regulation (particularly in Europe) and access government funding (like NEVI in the US, and the NSW/ Qld funding that Tesla won locally)
But if Tesla are serious about their mission, if a EV owner that can't afford a Tesla knows they have access to some Superchargers (well maybe except for the BYD Seal or BYD Atto 3 ;P) helps get them over the line, then that's another step closer to their mission.

(plus, it's guaranteed revenue for people paying for a Supercharger membership - and those who pay as they go are paying a higher rate than a Tesla driver anyway so at least Tesla are making a bit on top)

Reactions: elddum and Jules22
But if Tesla are serious about their mission,
As Tesla is a public company there are a lot of shareholder groups pushing and pulling in often mutually exclusive direction based on their own intepretation of how to achieve the mission.

In other news, I note that the Tesla charging channel is live again on X(fkaT) after been disabled due to nuclear fallout.

I’m not even all that comfortable with Evie which is partially owned by a coal Barron Trevor St Baker.
They will make sure it’s never ‘too’ successful to threaten their core businesses.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I’m also prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. If TSB has had some kind of epiphany and wants to use his coal millions to invest in non-fossil fuel technology (which he is - if you go to his investment fund’s website they invest in a number of different new-energy enterprises) then I think that is A Good Thing.

Certainly better than the alternative.

He’s taken a $65M bath with Tritium, though.

Norway is often criticised for having the world’s highest adoption of BEVs… due to subsidies made possible from the rivers of gold flowing from being one of Europe’s largest fossil fuel exporters. Some say that’s hypocrisy writ large, virtue-signalling on a national scale. Others say it’s karma that fossil fuel money is being used to kill off the fossil fuel industry. Two sides to every coin.

I dissent on the view that TSB will make sure that Evie will never be “too successful to threaten their core businesses” because Evie is clearly the #2 DCFC network in the country (in fact they have more sites than Tesla, but not as many stalls), and want to win through scale and reliability. That does not look to me like an enterprise where the secret mission is, in fact, to fail.

Reactions: cafz
I've just driven from Sydney to Airlie beach in Qld, and I've discovered two Tesla super chargers that are about the best I've seen.

Firstly, the new one in Thrumster near port Macquarie. I've always stopped as Cassegrain winery before, and its great when the restaurant is open, but lonely when it's not. Thrumster is in a major shopping centre car park, and just off the highway. 5 stars.

Second one is Rockhampton. Again in a shopping centre car park with a cafe not more than 15m away from the superchargers. 5 stars.
This is this new style where the superchargers are aligned parallel to the car making it a tight reverse. No good for a wide cyber truck.

After Rockhampton, the next supercharger is in Bowen, some 600km away. Although prosipine has 2 Evie chargers, it's still too far to reach, and so you have to rely on any 1 of 3 single stall QESH tritiums at small towns on the way. Luckily the one we picked worked.