Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A nice article about a local expo, with a mention of "discussion of location for a proposed Tesla charging station in Narooma"

Tesla cars impress at Narooma Renewable Energy Expo

Now it could mean a generic EV charging station... it could mean a destination charger... it could mean some locals are talking about a SC but Tesla has no plans...

Or it could actually mean a SC?

Cooma (discussed above) and somewhere around Ulladulla are likely. Naroomba is perfectly spaced for a loop around Sydney, Goulburn, Cooma, Narooma, Ulladulla, and back to Sydney.

The spacing would be slightly better if Nowra replaced Ulladulla.

Food for thought...

@baillies made some very interesting discoveries in other threads (Supercharger - Wendouree (Ballarat) VIC, SYD - BNE Supercharger Route) which would be of interest here... long story short - how does this look?

yvIXWYr.png

@baillies made some very interesting discoveries in other threads (Supercharger - Wendouree (Ballarat) VIC, SYD - BNE Supercharger Route) which would be of interest here... long story short - how does this look?
Great work as usual chuq, wonder when Tesla will confirm this...
Seems to be a big investment with I guess less than 2000 sales in Aus but I think model 3 will be huge here with essentially no competition. Even if Nissan announces something compelling at CES I doubt we will see it for a while and history indicates it will be massively overpriced unless they try to compete with Tesla.

That one's Bunbury. For those playing along at home, Lorne, Bathurst and Cooma (listed as Cooma/Jindabine [sic]) are the other dots.

NZ are Hamilton, Turangi and Sansom.

I'm not sure why Tesla would bother with Bunbury, there's an RAC CHAdeMo there, in fact another 5 fast chargers are within 100kms. Would like to a Supercharger at this location though- Sun Brilliance gets approval for WA’s biggest solar plant

I'm not sure why Tesla would bother with Bunbury, there's an RAC CHAdeMo there, in fact another 5 fast chargers are within 100kms. Would like to a Supercharger at this location though- Sun Brilliance gets approval for WA’s biggest solar plant
Given there is no chance Tesla will have a supercharger network stretching from Perth to Adelaide any time before the end of this decade, they are more likely to construct an arc of superchargers around Perth. Bunbury makes sense, especially if they also install superchargers at somewhere like Cervantes or Badgingarra as well as somewhere east of Perth.
By remarkable coincidence, Cunderdin is probably an ideal spot for a supercharger and with 100MW of power from the sun they could charge up over 800 Teslas at once ;)

For anyone interested a lot of destination chargers have been added recently (today?) most have 2 Tesla Connectors, up to 22kW

Fitzroy Motel Inn (Grafton NSW0
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (Fig Tree Pocket QLD)
Fox Creek Wines (McLaren Vale SA)
Fisk Skateboards (Orneau QLD)
Bendigo Big 4 Caravan Park (VIC)
Wine Village Motor Inn (Rutherglen VIC)
Tamburlaine Wines (Pokolbin NSW)
Triabunna Cafe (Triabunna TAS)only 1 connector
QT Port Douglas (QLD)
Alto Hotel on Bourke (Melbourne VIC)

Edit: removed URLs as they are not working.

IMG_0255.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LGGD and Chuq
That one's Bunbury. For those playing along at home, Lorne, Bathurst and Cooma (listed as Cooma/Jindabine [sic]) are the other dots.

NZ are Hamilton, Turangi and Sansom.

Just to follow up on this - I noticed another post by @brewster with his frequent trips from his home town of Portland through Hamilton, Ballarat and on to Melbourne.

The "Hamilton" on this map is only a guess - it could not be Hamilton NZ, there is no reference apart from "Hamilton", and since Turangi and Sansom were also included, it was a safe assumption.

But there is nothing saying that perhaps only two NZ sites are decided and the Hamilton refers to Hamilton Vic? Spacing from Ballarat is about the right distance...

• Informative
Reactions: MDK
Great work as usual chuq, wonder when Tesla will confirm this...
Seems to be a big investment with I guess less than 2000 sales in Aus but I think model 3 will be huge here with essentially no competition. Even if Nissan announces something compelling at CES I doubt we will see it for a while and history indicates it will be massively overpriced unless they try to compete with Tesla.
Not only will the M3 have no competition, but fact the M3 can use this network makes it even harder for the competition.

For anyone interested a lot of destination chargers have been added recently (today?) most have 2 Tesla Connectors, up to 22kW

Fitzroy Motel Inn (Grafton NSW0
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (Fig Tree Pocket QLD)
Fox Creek Wines (McLaren Vale SA)
Fisk Skateboards (Orneau QLD)
Bendigo Big 4 Caravan Park (VIC)
Wine Village Motor Inn (Rutherglen VIC)
Tamburlaine Wines (Pokolbin NSW)
Triabunna Cafe (Triabunna TAS)only 1 connector
QT Port Douglas (QLD)
Alto Hotel on Bourke (Melbourne VIC)

Edit: removed URLs as they are not working.

View attachment 205867
The destination charger rollout is really picking up speed.
When I picked up my car 3 months ago there were 4 DCs in Tasmania (where I'm planning a road trip). As of today there are 11.

Reactions: Chuq
I have sent a couple of emails to hotel chains like Quest Appartments about the destination charger program, no response as yet however, perhaps others should do the same.
It works. I emailed the Saltwater property group because I have a work weekend booked in January at their resort near Philip Island. They replied saying they are looking into it, and about a month ago a grey icon popped up on the Tesla map...

Reactions: Chuq
Just to follow up on this - I noticed another post by @brewster with his frequent trips from his home town of Portland through Hamilton, Ballarat and on to Melbourne.

The "Hamilton" on this map is only a guess - it could not be Hamilton NZ, there is no reference apart from "Hamilton", and since Turangi and Sansom were also included, it was a safe assumption.

But there is nothing saying that perhaps only two NZ sites are decided and the Hamilton refers to Hamilton Vic? Spacing from Ballarat is about the right distance...

It will be Hamilton in Brisbane.