Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Box Hill opening up

Attachments

• 9EDD5767-CD7F-4B9F-AD74-5B863CFE9957.jpeg
    9EDD5767-CD7F-4B9F-AD74-5B863CFE9957.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 62
Unfortunately I think that is only possible on public roads and council and publicly owned land, and not on private property, which is where the majority of DCFCs probably are. No easy solutions in NSW for people who deliberately flout parking notices on private property:
Depends on the jurisdiction. In WA, SA and Victoria at least the owner of the land can make an agreement with the council to enforce parking restrictions (and the council gets the fines). In NSW there's a similar "Free parking area agreement".

Reactions: tragic
But is it going to be enough before next Christmas?
Well judging by our trip back from Adelaide over the last 2 days, I'm not sure. Tailem Bend (6 x V3) was the only non-queuing supercharger for the whole trip, probably because it was early in the morning.
Keith (4 x V2) was only a short wait but by the time we left there was a queue developing.
Horsham (3 x V3), Wodonga (6 x V2) and Gundagai (6 X V2) all had queues.
Max wait was about 30 minutes at Wodonga.
Charged to 100% at our motel in Bendigo so was able to bypass Euroa.

These are the times when people need to stay with their cars, navigate to the next supercharger or destination and vacate the spot as soon as the car says they can go. Wandering off for lunch is OK when things are quiet but not in peak periods.

Converting V2 sites to V3 sites or adding more V3 stalls would help.

Saw some pretty big fossil queues at some of the dinosaur juice stations as well.

Wandering off for lunch is OK when things are quiet but not in peak periods.
Actually we probably just need to manage our expectations when traveling in peak periods such as long school holidays, mainly due to crowd and our charging infrastructure is not (yet) adequate.
Imposing such "unofficial" rules will just put off people using EV in my opinion.
So what are those, don't charge to 100% (what if they need 100?), don't go out for lunch when charging (what if they rock up at a charger and starving?)

Imposing such "unofficial" rules will just put off people using EV in my opinion.
As for Tesla, they have a number of tools that can manage this.
Firstly, the cost of overstaying during a charging session is very steep at $1 per minute (when at high utilisation).
Secondly, at very high utilisation Tesla can cap charging to 80% SoC.

The one problem that I do see is some of the newer Chinese EV's (like the BYD Atto 3) which are meant to be super popular in the next few years is they have some woeful charging speeds.
There has been this unhealthy focus on 350 kW chargers, when that's needed is maybe 1/3 350 kW, and 2/3 50 kW or 75 kW at a site. A 350 kW stall should never have a chademo either when paired with 50 kW stalls. There is a good price signal between 350 kW and 50 kW, 0.60 kWh vs 0.40 kWh for Evie a 33% discount to use the slow chargers! ICE drivers will bend over backwards for an at most 15% discount. There isn't very good signage or direction to the difference when a site has both 350 kW and 50 kW or 75 kW stalls.

I would happily use a third party 75 kW stall over a congested Tesla V2 supercharger site.

Reactions: Maximillan
There has been this unhealthy focus on 350 kW chargers, when that's needed is maybe 1/3 350 kW, and 2/3 50 kW or 75 kW at a site.

I broadly agree although the challenge there would be in drivers being “plugged in” 😀 enough to pick the charger best suited to their needs and their car’s capability, rather than just assuming 350 kW is the “go to” because it’s the biggest number. Pricing would help, signage might help.

Reactions: rx80 and cafz
I don't know if we are slightly out of topic here - don't think there's a general supercharger thread, but as someone said (was it you?), education is (or should be) a big part of EV intake. Some buyers I think expect it as a direct replacement to their ICE i.e: no need to know about charging etiquette, charging curve etc.

Spoke to some BYD owners who are not even aware of their charging speed, you're right they just assume 350kw is the one to go because it'll charge much faster.

Plus Yass, Albury and Ballina!

In fact on the Hume+Pacific route, from Wodonga to the Qld border, not counting urban Sydney, there are currently 6+6+8 (south) and 6+6+6+6+4+6 (north) - total of 54 stalls.

The new ones planned are Albury (15)+Gundagai (12)+Yass (12)+Marulan (15)+Raymond Terrace (15)+Taree (12)+Coffs (15)+Ballina (12). So at least 108 stalls - plus whatever is planned for Holbrook (capacity unknown). At least a tripling of capacity. But is it going to be enough before next Christmas?
You missed '77 Smith St Kempsey 2440'. Which still has a target date of Q1 2023 on Telsa's map.
I would count Kemsey and Holbrook at a minimum of 6 stalls each. So more like at least 120 stalls along the Hume+Pacific.

Comment spotted on FB: " I can already see action happening on the new 15 bay supercharger that’s going in near the Lakeside Tavern in Raymond Terrace. "

Just in case anyone happens to be nearby and want to scout it out - link to map location is here: Lakeside Village Tavern, 74 Benjamin Lee Dr
I'll be staying in Raymond Terrace next Thursday night (12-Jan), I will go and have look!

You missed '77 Smith St Kempsey 2440'. Which still has a target date of Q1 2023 on Telsa's map.
I would count Kemsey and Holbrook at a minimum of 6 stalls each. So more like at least 120 stalls along the Hume+Pacific.
Oops! Did too. I would go one further and guess that each will be a minimum of 12 stalls. But that is just an assumption, based on it being the smallest size of any other new site along these routes.