Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tas, NT and SA seem to support the idea that supercharger network density equates to sales, but then WA throws that out of the water.
It might just be those who are more likely to drive long distances are more likely to buy Tesla.

For Tas I gather most people heading to the mainland will fly, for the NT there aren't many places to drive unless you want to drive really far, and SA has some road trip options into Victoria mostly but it's Tesla share seems to be about halfway between Tas / NT and the rest.

Reactions: Chuq and Vostok
I was curious about comments that "if other EVs can use superchargers, why would anyone buy a Tesla" and I wondered how true that would be.

Tas, NT and SA seem to support the idea that supercharger network density equates to sales, but then WA throws that out of the water.

While not a completely satisfactory theory, I posit that the distance people think they need to drive (even if only occasionally) is a significant factor in driving Tesla market share, since for a very long time Tesla was range king and no other BEV came close. Tesla has 60-70% BEV market share in countries where people often drive long distances without thinking about it (USA, Canada, Australia) and much lower market share in countries where this is not the case (Europe - only 15%, NZ ~40%).

So that’s reflected to some extent within Australia as well.

Now that there are more BEVs competing on range (400 km+ although real-world they still don’t match Tesla) I suspect the Tesla range effect will diminish over time.

While not a completely satisfactory theory, I posit that the distance people think they need to drive (even if only occasionally) is a significant factor in driving Tesla market share, since for a very long time Tesla was range king and no other BEV came close. Tesla has 60-70% BEV market share in countries where people often drive long distances without thinking about it (USA, Canada, Australia) and much lower market share in countries where this is not the case (Europe - only 15%, NZ ~40%).

So that’s reflected to some extent within Australia as well.

Now that there are more BEVs competing on range (400 km+ although real-world they still don’t match Tesla) I suspect the Tesla range effect will diminish over time.
I think you're onto something there. I'm originally an NT boy and I was telling my dad (who still lives in Darwin) that I was getting a Tesla. He said that they'd never catch on in Darwin. Even though most people in Darwin will drive around the suburbs and to work just like people in Melbourne, there's a psychological barrier there that because you're 3,000km from another major city that you'll be travelling that distance a lot. People just don't do those 3,000 km trips regularly in a car. Apart from some infrastructure arguments (ie Superchargers), for most people living in Darwin it's the same use case scenario as people in other cities. Electric cars just have a short range associated with them that people can't get over. Even for me - I'm getting a Tesla but my wife is keeping the petrol SUV for taking the family away on holidays. There's no logic to it though really.

The problem is if I'm looking from my point of view as a customer, there's no alternative right now.
For a similar space and price to MY:

1. BYD Atto 3 - lower price, but max 80ish kw DC charging, smaller, and both of us couldn't stand the interior.
Efficiency is yet to be seen if it's better/worse
2. EV6 & Ioniq 5 - both are plagued by blown-out delivery time & price gouging by dealers. Not to mention the lack of app & no preconditioning.
3. Audi/BMW/etc - higher price, worse efficiency (Audi)

So while 'losing' Supercharger exclusivity might not be enough to sway us to other brands right now, we'll see how it plays out when it's time to replace it down the track.

Also looking at Europe, they do not open all of SC to the non Tesla - once they do that here and we have alternatives, I am somewhat sure it will affect Tesla's sales.
Not a trick question, but I have noticed a lot of people on here make comments about buying based on efficiency, and I’m just wondering if the last petrol car purchaced recieved the same level of efficiency consideration, or is this an EV specific phenomena?

It might just be those who are more likely to drive long distances are more likely to buy Tesla.

For Tas I gather most people heading to the mainland will fly, for the NT there aren't many places to drive unless you want to drive really far, and SA has some road trip options into Victoria mostly but it's Tesla share seems to be about halfway between Tas / NT and the rest.
I have a different theory.
People in SA like to physically test drive a car before buying. Tesla really struggled for sales in SA until they made test drives available, at which point sales boomed.
The MG is very popular in SA as well, and it also has a showroom.
But I also agree with the range theory.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
@cafz @Vostok @paulp All good suggestions and make a lot of sense. I was also considering a comparison between the Tesla charging network and the public DC charging network (e.g. SA and WA have limiting Tesla and public DC charging, where as Tas has limited Tesla coverage but a good public network.) But I wasn't sure of the best way to rate/compare that objectively.

Yes I know that, but do petrol cars recieve the same level of consideration when buying?

Well, I’m only one data point, but fuel efficiency was a major consideration when I last purchased an ICE vehicle in 2004. We needed a family sedan, and my #1 consideration was boot space and #2 was fuel efficiency for its class. Toyota Camry (manual) rated best on those two factors at the time.

I do consider it ironic and quite neat that the car which replaced my Camry, the Tesla Model 3, outsold it in 2022.

@cafz @Vostok @paulp All good suggestions and make a lot of sense. I was also considering a comparison between the Tesla charging network and the public DC charging network (e.g. SA and WA have limiting Tesla and public DC charging, where as Tas has limited Tesla coverage but a good public network.) But I wasn't sure of the best way to rate/compare that objectively.
I couldn’t find anything online…Does tasmania have a service centre and a tesla showroom? If so how old are they?

No service centre or showroom in Tas. And only one supercharger in the far North.
They do have a Vic based ranger who visits regularly

Would be interested to see those numbers on a per capita basis as well. Is it more that Tas is just more overrepresented in EVs, given the State runs on green power, and typical political leanings.

No service centre or showroom in Tas. And only one supercharger in the far North.
They do have a Vic based ranger who visits regularly

Would be interested to see those numbers on a per capita basis as well. Is it more that Tas is just more overrepresented in EVs, given the State runs on green power, and typical political leanings.
With no ability to test drive and no service centre, it’s not surprising that tesla are not doing well in Tas. Plenty would be happy with that (I was) however the feedback I always recieved from potential tesla buyers was that it was a dealbreaker.

Interesting he seemed to be charging to 100%. Fortunately the whole place looks rather empty so not disadvantaging anyone.
My daughter has an Ioniq 5 and was recently at Bathurst where there was a little queue for the public charger and she was eyeing off the empty Tesla Superchargers. She said she would probably buy a one month subscription before a planned road trip as long as she could then cancel it at just under one month. That would make it worthwhile for her with the Supercharger cost and the enhanced charging options plus reliability of the Tesla network.

Reactions: scully
nteresting he seemed to be charging to 100%. Fortunately the whole place looks rather empty so not disadvantaging anyone.
My daughter has an Ioniq 5 and was recently at Bathurst where there was a little queue for the public charger and she was eyeing off the empty Tesla Superchargers. She said she would probably buy a one month subscription before a planned road trip as long as she could then cancel it at just under one month. That would make it worthwhile for her with the Supercharger cost and the enhanced charging options plus reliability of the Tesla network.
Has anyone done the numbers to know at what point the 1 month subscription is worthwhile versus paying the full amount?