Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raymond Terrace, Taree, Coffs Harbour and Ballina all have 12-15 stall sites planned. Since the addresses are public, I'm guessing the news would be out if construction started at any of them?

I imagine these would require DA’s so anything on Council websites? What we’ve seen recently is once Tesla has the necessary approvals, it can move to construction and completion very quickly.

I imagine these would require DA’s so anything on Council websites? What we’ve seen recently is once Tesla has the necessary approvals, it can move to construction and completion very quickly.
Not all of the previous builds have had DAs, for a lot of councils it's not required. (I have just had a quick squiz through the DAs for those councils though - nothing stands out!)

Probably worth a reminder that we're coming up to the end of the quarter, which includes the end of Tesla's current supercharger voting round. The top 5 locations in each region are added to Tesla's supercharger plans.

After the previous quarter, where the top 5 were all South Korean sites, this time we have three sites in the top 5 - Apollo Bay (Vic) as #1, Southern Cross (WA) as #3 and Port Augusta (SA) as #5.

1679629577556.png

Many people here have probably already voted, but for any new owners (you need a Tesla account to vote), please made sure you log in and at least vote for Southern Cross and Port Augusta, to ensure they don't drop out of the 5 (Southern Cross is only 19 votes ahead of Port Augusta, and Port Augusta is only 73 votes ahead of 6th place!)

It probably doesn't matter who you vote for after that - the next Australian site on the list is Jindabyne, which is already getting a supercharger thanks to NSW Govt funding, and getting it in the top 5 would only kick out Port Augusta.

They'll probably announce the candidates for the next round of voting in early April, it seems the Australian Tesla community has enough clout to get into the top #5 and we could get all 5 positions if we are consistent. My thoughts are (in order):
  • Exclude sites which are getting a supercharger anyway (e.g. locked in - government funding, construction in progress)
  • Exclude sites which are in large urban areas that already have SCs (they're for demand, not for coverage, and Tesla already has data on the existing SCs and their usage)
  • Prefer sites that add to the existing eastern or western network (i.e. being close enough to travel there from an existing supercharger)
Of course everyone will have different preferences, but to get as many in the top 5 as possible we should be consistent.

As an example, if the 3 we got in the top 5 this time win (are removed from next quarters options), the top 5 would include: Port Wakefield (SA), Campbell Town (Tas), Braidwood (NSW). Then prefer other close sites before Coober Pedy (SA).

I'm surprised Apollo Bay wasn't built years ago
You'll see from this thread that Tesla had a site on the GOR listed in 2017 but it kept on getting moved back and ultimately removed when a dot was added in Geelong.

The Victorian DCAV program also has a number of DC chargers planned for the area which should roll out in the next 12 months.

Reactions: Hairyman and Chuq
I'll still be voting for Katherine, about 320K south of Darwin. Wasted vote I know but it would be the first one in NT, so got to try.
To be honest that sounds pretty reasonable - looking into the future I would expect, as well as the eastern and western networks, them to have a “northern” network growing out from Darwin well before they link them all up. Katherine is an ideal distance and location too. I wouldn’t exclude it (based on my made-up rules) if it was on the voting list :)

Reactions: Hairyman
1679829110274.png

Six spaces next to a transformer. I couldn't think of any other likely organisation installing six stall fast charger sites apart from Tesla.

However it's pretty unlikely given it's:
  • 15 km North of Cairns
  • 745 km from their closest planned supercharge (Mackay)
  • 1540 km from their closest active supercharger (Gympie)
It could be destination chargers (it could also not be EV chargers at all, to be honest)

Only redeeming attribute is that it's owned by Lendlease, who own the centre that hosts the Maroochydore supercharger (some of their other centres host Tesla destination chargers).

Someone at Plugshare has a thing for numbers in brackets.

They've also gone through and replaced entries that were
2 wall chargers. or
2x 50kW CCS2/CHAdeMO etc

With

(2) 50kW CCS2/CHAdeMO.

Very strange.
But agree that adding the CCS/SAE type to Tesla Superchargers that aren't open to all is stupid.

I don't mind the common site name..
But surely it should be Sitename (Tesla Suoercharger), Sitename (Chargefox)

Plugshare being useless as usual. They recently went through and renamed all Tesla superchargers, and switched the "connector" to CCS (technically correct, but totally counter productive when people have their filter set to find CCS sites).

It's just so dumb - PlugShare supports restrictions like 'Employees Only', 'Customers Only'..... and yet not only does the app not show what the restrictions on that site are, it doesn't honour 'Tesla Drivers Only'.
Add a new vehicle to your PlugShare profile, don't change any of the plugs (say you added a Volvo XC40, leaving the default Type 2 / CCS filters, and leaving 'Show Restricted Locations' off) and superchargers still show.

(ie, you look at a site on the web, it'll show restrictions like "Tesla Drivers Only" or "Employees Only". But these labels don't seem to show in the app if you look at that site)
IMG_1063.jpeg
IMG_0394.jpg

imo there's a bunch of things PlugShare could do;

- Actually take restrictions like 'Tesla Drivers Only' into account when showing charging sites, based on the vehicle selected!!!!!!!

- Get rid of the NACS icon, and show a Type 2 / CCS icon instead alongside the 'Tesla' and 'Tesla (Fast)' plugs - this is what Google Maps does in Australia
- In Australia, convert all 'Tesla' plugs to Type 2 instead, with a "Tesla Drivers Only" restriction by default unless the destination charger is open to Non-Tesla EVs
- In Australia, convert all 'Tesla (Fast)' plugs to CCS2 with the "Tesla Drivers Only" restriction enabled, unless that supercharger is open to Non-Tesla EVs

- Turn off the "Supercharger" charging network (still seems dumb they can adjust/show networks by region, but not plug types) by default unless the vehicle selected is a Tesla

If I set my car as a MG / BYD / Volvo / Polestar with Type 2 & CCS plugs enabled, PlugShare should definitely show Tesla Destination & Superchargers - but only If they are open and don't have the "Tesla Drivers Only" restriction.