Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but to top it all off, they limit access to all this data, which we contribute to them for free. They don’t allow ABRP to import the site info, for example.

Yeah, for a crowd-sourced database, that really stinks. Plugshare have a developer API but it’s accessible only on commercial terms. There is no option for a free account for a private user.

I’d like to be able to pull down a full and up-to-date list of all the Evie or NRMA sites, for example, which would be a snack using the API but Plugshare says “talk to the hand”.

I tried to backdoor it using web browser network tools but no dice.

Pfffft.

Reactions: Chuq
If Jindabyne doesn't get SC installed by June, there's going to be a litany of articles with headlines like this from all the new Tesla owners trying to use the NRMA "lucky if they work" chargers. I'm sure we will see many such articles come Easter as we did Christmas.
I was in Jindabyne yesterday. Nothing has been started yet at the Supercharger site - I didn't take a photo as I couldn't get a parking spot nearby, all taken by Bowling Club customers (which will undoubtably cause an issue with ICEing once the chargers are in place too).

Only one of the two NRMA 50kW chargers in Jindabyne were working too - the one that had been taken away (right hand side) has been replaced and is the one that is working. The other one is there, but powered off and seems to be leaning backwards as though it has been pushed or backed into.

I was in Jindabyne yesterday. Nothing has been started yet at the Supercharger site - I didn't take a photo as I couldn't get a parking spot nearby, all taken by Bowling Club customers (which will undoubtably cause an issue with ICEing once the chargers are in place too).

Only one of the two NRMA 50kW chargers in Jindabyne were working too - the one that had been taken away (right hand side) has been replaced and is the one that is working. The other one is there, but powered off and seems to be leaning backwards as though it has been pushed or backed into.
Hi Ted,

I was in Jindy on Monday as well and road my bicycle past the proposed install site in Bay St. There is definitely nothing. The issue I see here, when the chargers are in, is the Friday and Saturday nights in ski season, when the Bowlo is packed, and people will park out the carpark.

While I'm here. I went to Thredbo on Good Friday and returned Easter Monday. Keeping my phone App visible with all the possible Supercharger stops, is a great idea. On the way home I was able to re-route to Tuggeranong Supercharger, when I saw both Majura and Goulburn with no free chargers.

It's a 10 min divert and I filled to 90% and got home on the single charge from Thredbo.

1681352144620.png

@fobo - charging during school holidays could be a bit of a lottery with such a growing number of EVs on the road. The busiest times for most chargers seems to be from around 11am to 3pm. Are you planning to do the drive in one day? I would stop at least 3 times on a drive that long, maybe four.

The Heatherbrae Supercharger can get busy. The servo next door has servo type food options with tables and a toilet. It’s OK. I wouldn’t walk up the road to the highway food area next to the roundabout - too far there and back. BP Pulse now have a 75 kW charger there so if you preferred to eat there I would also charge there (if its available - feeling lucky? 😄).

If both were busy I’d continue on to Chargefox Karuah. There’s a reasonable cafe 5 minute walk down the road. The 350 kW units there have rarely failed although the screens seem perpetually busted but charging still works with the RFID card or App.

I like Evie Taree. Two 350 kW chargers at the highway service centre with a number of food options. The units were offline over Christmas but are working again.

The Supercharger at Cassegrain Wineries is good but can also get busy and foodwise it’s the restaurant there or nothing.

The Supercharger at Coffs is at a large shopping centre so lots of options for eating or shopping.

There’s a 75 kW charger near the Coolangatta Surf Club which I’ve used a couple of times and is a good option if charging late in the afternoon/early evening and you feel like dinner at the (massive) club.

Plugshare is your friend to check out all the charging options and whether chargers have recent checkins indicating they are working.

Enjoy the trip - road-tripping in a Tesla is an absolute joy!
No doubt, with Tesla road trips are amazing!
I just noticed you talked about Plugshare. Well, yes, It's one of the best apps I rely on for spotting charging stations (superchargers) here in Melbourne. It allows me to check pricing (not always accurate), reviews of other Tesla owners, etc.

I'd like to contribute to your thread with a special filter of Plugshare that might help you or other people following your thread.

Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare
EV Charging Stations in Australia | PlugShare

The current situation is bad, but doesn't hiding the Type 2 plugs in this way cause issues with legacy vehicles that still use the Type 2 plug for supercharging?

If I buy a second hand Model S I will find it difficult to find superchargers that still have the old plugs attached to them won't I? Or do these all likely have a CCS adapter by now?

In any case I think it's correct that they have updated all V2 sites to show Tesla + CCS, and V3 sites to show only CCS, but they shouldn't have done it until they properly fixed filtering for "Tesla Drivers Only" on the app.
Maybe you can get help from the Plugshare app. Let me attach some filters that will help you locate your desired charging station.

Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare
Tesla CCS Locations
Tesla Charging Station Map | PlugShare

Nice!

I wonder why superchargers under construction aren't showing up (such as Blaxland and Exeter) while other 'announced' but not yet commenced sites (like Parkes, Yass and Batemans Bay) do?
It's another flaw of Plugshare. They will inexplicably lock some sites so that people can't edit them. Which would be fine if they actually gave a stuff about data consistency. You then have supercharger sites described with a varying mix of connector types (some say "Tesla (Fast)", some say "CCS/SAE"), network ("Tesla supercharger" or blank) and other random flags (like "Tesla drivers only")

Also something that relates to all sites, not only superchargers: People also tend to add "coming soon" sites early, meaning they can sit there in that state for a year or two (and in some cases, might not even be built at all). My personal preference is that I only add sites once there is visible construction activity present.

It's another flaw of Plugshare. They will inexplicably lock some sites so that people can't edit them. Which would be fine if they actually gave a stuff about data consistency.

Well they certainly don’t give a stuff about data integrity. There’s an amazing number of plugs in locations where no-one permanently lives (Antarctica is apparently a hotbed of EVs) and in the middle of various seas/oceans. I’m sure the people that put them there think it is hilarious, but does Plugshare weed out fake entries? No, it does not.

105D0521-51FD-4E3C-86CD-35D39C2FEC20.jpeg

Well they certainly don’t give a stuff about data integrity. There’s an amazing number of plugs in locations where no-one permanently lives (Antarctica is apparently a hotbed of EVs) and in the middle of various seas/oceans. I’m sure the people that put them there think it is hilarious, but does Plugshare weed out fake entries? No, it does not.

View attachment 928585
That's where Musk charges his James Bond Lotus
1681560285487.png

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq and [Zombie]
Mackay and Bundaberg/Childers 'coming soon' pins have been removed from Tesla's website map.

Looks like most other 'coming soon' sites have been changed to just '2023' (no Q1-Q4 range)

Mandurah (Q3) and Bairnsdale (Q4) only ones to keep the quarter ref.

Updated the Wiki.. I've left the deleted sites in (like Lancelin and Gawler), as I suspect they are still going to happen eventually.

Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
I spent a little time on the weekend using Plugshare to drill into the various networks like BP Pulse, Chargefox, Evie, Supercharges etc. If you used lots of different networks you would need a different app for each one. That is painful and no doubt one of the companies will get hacked and share card details. I was happy to see that an Australian company, Electrona has just installed a Tap and Go site in Tasmania. Australia's first tap and go fast charging station up and running

I created a YouTube on the various networks and locations.

I hope it is useful to some of you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Personally, I think the current app situation is incredibly stupid.
Imagine if every brand of petrol station had it's own app that you were required to use for payment. I have a feeling that would have been shot down from above pretty quickly.
The option to Tap and Go on the station needs to be mandated at some point.

Imagine if BP Pulse worked like a petrol pump, you fill up, go inside and pay at the attendant.
Why would that be so hard? Heck, it just becomes another numbered bowser.

Nice video but you've mixed up Jolt and Exploren (Jolt is the one with free 7kWh)

That Tas Electrona site is definitely not the first to use credit card swipe, despite them stating it and numerous articles quoting it.

Eg. This random AC charger in Chatswood, Sydney that was installed in 2019

And this Chargefox AC/DC site in Devonport had it as well via a separate box

The problem with all of them however is they use a pre-auth that is fairly large.
The Chatswood site $30.
That Electrona site in Tas $60 according to Plugshare.

Particularly if you have an issue with commencing a charge, or have to use AC before DC you might end up with a $120 pre-auth that takes days to fall off your credit or debit card.

Given most phones can auto-fill app signup I personally don't find signing up to a new app that much effort, and certainly prefer it to a pre-auth.

That said if I have a choice, I'll use an EVSE/charger I already have an app for.

Certainly with the recent NSW Govt funding for AC charging there seem to be a plethora of new small operators (Eg. EVX, CasaCharge, ChargeN'Go)

Last edited:
Reactions: B3AU and cafz
The option to Tap and Go on the station needs to be mandated at some point.
It's one of the requirements for the NSW Government funding.
Electric vehicle fast charging grants | NSW Climate and Energy Action

(ie, you can't restrict it to smart phone applications only)
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 17.56.52.png

That Tas Electrona site is definitely not the first to use credit card swipe, despite them stating it and numerous articles quoting it.
Yeah, there was someone from ChargeStar posting about how good it is being ~"integrated"~ over on Facebook. Patrick Finnegan

Integrated means the EFTPOS payment terminal communicates directly with the charging station and works independently of the network management system. Other solutions such as the Jet Charge Paymate send a start charge signal to the OCPP network management system i.e. Chargefox once the card has been authorised. The Paymate only works with Chargefox so the charging station owner (CSO) is locked to Chargefox. Charging stations can only be connected to one OCPP network management system at a time so the CSO is locked to Chargefox for all network management functions as well as credit card payment. A bit like buying a mobile phone that will only work with one telephone network. This is called vendor lock in and should be avoided at all costs.
But didn't mention that if you do need a receipt/invoice (as per above), you have to use their absolute god awful app - NEXTCHARGE network - the absolutely ugliest clunkiest app of them all.

I think I'd prefer a Chargefox + separate EMV terminal, over this "integrated" thing and awful app.
I spent a little time on the weekend using Plugshare to drill into the various networks like BP Pulse, Chargefox, Evie, Supercharges etc. If you used lots of different networks you would need a different app for each one. That is painful and no doubt one of the companies will get hacked and share card details
Yes, I wish more accepted Apple Pay.

I'll still need an app for an invoice/receipt I can claim back through my novated lease - so even if Tesla did go with some separate unit or something to activate the stalls and using contactless, I'd be using the app so I can get the PDF receipt out of the Tesla app afterwards.

(it would be nice if it was emailed afterwards....)

Last edited: