Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's one of the requirements for the NSW Government funding.
Electric vehicle fast charging grants | NSW Climate and Energy Action

(ie, you can't restrict it to smart phone applications only)View attachment 929452

Yeah, there was someone from ChargeStar posting about how good it is being ~"integrated"~ over on Facebook. Patrick Finnegan

But didn't mention that if you do need a receipt/invoice (as per above), you have to use their absolute god awful app - NEXTCHARGE network - the absolutely ugliest clunkiest app of them all.

I think I'd prefer a Chargefox + separate EMV terminal, over this "integrated" thing and awful app.

Yes, I wish more accepted Apple Pay.

I'll still need an app for an invoice/receipt I can claim back through my novated lease - so even if Tesla did go with some separate unit or something to activate the stalls and using contactless, I'd be using the app so I can get the PDF receipt out of the Tesla app afterwards.

(it would be nice if it was emailed afterwards....)
Anything under $82.5 does not need a tax invoice to claim GST (a written record of the transaction such as bank statement will suffice). Suggest you check with your provider to see if they'll accept this.

I just noticed in the Tesla app that all/most of the Supercharger prices have increased some time in the last day of two. I only spot-checked some of the Sydney-ish ones but basically:

* All the “country” one are now $0.66/kWh (were $0.64/kWh)
* The “city” ones seem to have increased 2-3c/kWh and are now $0.57-0.59/kWh.
* The new Campbelltown and Blaxland Superchargers have become “country” ones now, so are both $0.66/kWh (11c and 12c per kWh increase respectively).

I understand the prices bouncing around a bit, but I am surprised by the sudden change in Blaxland and Campbelltown pricing.

I just noticed in the Tesla app that all/most of the Supercharger prices have increased some time in the last day of two. I only spot-checked some of the Sydney-ish ones but basically:

* The “city” ones seem to have increased 2-3c/kWh and are now $0.57-0.59/kWh.
* The new Campbelltown and Blaxland Superchargers have become “country” ones now, so are both $0.66/kWh (11c and 12c per kWh increase respectively).

I understand the prices bouncing around a bit, but I am surprised by the sudden change in Blaxland and Campbelltown pricing.

Looks like 'dynamic' pricing is now in place for non-Tesla supercharging too.

Narooma, Bathurst, Dubbo and Hollydene are now
$0.81/kWh without membership
$0.66/kWh with $9.99/mo membership

Tamworth is $0.65/kWh without membership, $0.48/kWh with $9.99/mo membership

Original pricing was $0.79/kWh without membership, $0.66/kWh with the $9.99/mo membership.

$0.02/kWh increase for Narooma, Bathurst, Dubbo and Hollydene, $0.14/kWh decrease for Tamworth (and a bigger $0.18/kWh decrease if you're paying for membership)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
The "membership" price for non-Tesla Supercharger is just the Tesla price.

66c/kWh seems to be the "default", but some scattered country ones are cheaper than that - as previously mentioned Tamworth is 48c/kWh, Tenterfield is 63c/kWh, Ovens is 65c/kWh, Shepparton is 58c/kWh, Eaton is 48c/kWh, Margaret River is 55c/kWh, Devonport is 62c/kWh and Gympie is 57c/kWh.

The cheapest in the country now seem to be Camberwell and Maroochydore at 38c/kWh. Bargain! Camberwell I would guess is discounted because it's perenially underused compared to always-busy Richmond, so they probably want to encourage some traffic to choose the former over the latter. Maroochydore I have no idea.

For anyone who drives by Alexandria a lot, noticed some construction work in the Alexandria Home-maker Centre carpark NE corner (near the Merc dealership).

Nothing obvious that it was Superchargers but worth keeping an eye on.
A reasonable location to place chargers given its proximity to the motorway interchange and proximity to suburbs with high concentration of high rise apartments

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 5.49.21 pm.png

For anyone who drives by Alexandria a lot, noticed some construction work in the Alexandria Home-maker Centre carpark NE corner (near the Merc dealership).

Nothing obvious that it was Superchargers but worth keeping an eye on.
It is some form of electrical works.
PXL_20230601_082847179.jpg

This section is near the road.
Two angles of the exposed conduit behind this fence,
PXL_20230601_082900656.jpg

Which has had a trench further out towards the road,
PXL_20230601_082944241.jpg

Further away around some other parking spaces,
PXL_20230601_082718421.jpg

This actually seems too big a structure to be some conduit for EV charging.

Having shown all that, I don't know that this is for the superchargers. If I have a look at street view from 4 months ago,
Screenshot_20230601-214949.png

The entry and exit path here looks very different to what I went through. There are more lanes around to the left and it looks to be being set up for some form of timed/controlled entry and exit. I think that is more likely the reason for the electrical works here. Was dark so did not think to get more wider context shots and did not realise how new entry and exit paths were but in hindsight the concrete kerbs controlling entry and exit did look really new.

I just read in ABC that Cassegrain Wines enters administration. I wonder what happens to the SC if the winery closes down
Sad - hopefully they can find a way to continue operating the business at a profit.

I would guess that the Supercharger lease goes with the property? Probably only has 3 years left to run though.

(these comments could probably be moved to the Port Macquarie Supercharger thread)

If Jindabyne doesn't get SC installed by June, there's going to be a litany of articles with headlines like this from all the new Tesla owners trying to use the NRMA "lucky if they work" chargers. I'm sure we will see many such articles come Easter as we did Christmas.
The likes of him would still be complaining even if there were 8 SC in Jindabyne in winter. Even a 16 bay would not be enough. And he fits the picture of rich tourists complaining about everything in Jindabyne.

He is sending the wrong message whingeing about waiting, finding a charger, then complaining about petrol level charging prices.
He should realise that other people are paying for the infrastructure and he is at the early stages of EV and EV charging deployment in Australia and he should wait 5 years for the number of chargers to become ubiquitous. Before that, accept the fact that as an early adopter of EV, there will be issues surrounding charging.

Ive got a place in Jindabyne on holiday rental and I have the garage power point put on a switch which is in a locked box and switched off when it is under holiday rental. Specific T&C for the holiday rental disallows using extension cords from inside the house to charge EV.

Eventually I will add an EV charger where I can recoup the cost of the infratructure and energy. Until then.....

Last edited:
Stuff Jindy. There needs to be a slow AC plug at basically every parking space at Bullocks Flat and Thredbo. You're there all day, so use that to your advantage. And turn on heating when you're on the way back to your car.

Ski resorts are perfect for AC. Superchargers and DC are mostly a waste of time and effort, and an undesirable strain on the grid. Save that for midpoints where they're genuinely needed. Like Bredbo. And Hume. And Collector.

7-22kW AC on intermittent ramp up whenever there's spare solar in the grid, and down when it's under stress, helps the grid, instead of taxing it. It should be the default option basically everywhere, with superchargers as a backup.

Last edited:
There needs to be a slow AC plug at basically every parking space at Bullocks Flat and Thredbo
You can see the state of the parking areas at Bullocks, Thredbo, Perisher. You really think they will upgrade AC power to the parking areas? And if they did, based on the prices they charge for everything else, you think it won't be expensive?

In reality they should have EV powered buses travelling from Jindabyne to Perisher, Bullocks and Thredbo.

Reactions: bay74