Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Busy Sat 30Dec2023 at 3 pm

IMG_2303.jpeg
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2305.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
One thing I’ve noticed is how out of date these seem to get.

Pulled off the highway into Goulburn showing a 5 minute wait. Tap the icon a k or so from the charger and it refreshes to 2 then 3 available.

By the time we pulled in there were 5 or 6 bays free.

Without “on the ground” PlugShare complaints it seems hard to know the real state at any time.

Per the prior page. How to force updates.

To get a refreshed/accurate count of bays available I had to tap on the Supercharger icon on the map to bring up the pop-up information panel about the charger, and then it updated the count of available bays both in the pop-up and on the map itself. Without doing that, the count didn’t seem to update (maybe not at all, maybe just really infrequently).

Yeah but as I said the car was still showing 3 despite my eyes seeing 5/6 free. So there’s a delay or fudge factor baked in anyway.

Well, your quote was: “Tap the icon a k or so from the charger and it refreshes to 2 then 3 available. By the time we pulled in there were 5 or 6 bays free“… which implies the car was showing 3 plugs available one kilometre from the site, and by the time you got there a couple of minutes later, 5 plugs were available. Did you refresh SC availability in the map once you were there?

A minute is easily enough time for 2 cars to unplug and leave. Or vice versa - arrive and plug in.

Once in Coolangatta I wanted to use the Chargefox charger near the surf club, I checked availability in the App in my car when I left my hotel not more than 2 minutes away. The charger was available. Great stuff! Let’s go! By the time I got there, someone in an EQC was plugging in.

It happens.

A minute is easily enough time for 2 cars to unplug and leave.
Yeah, I made some comment about this a couple of days ago.

An experiment I would like to conduct is to actually sit at a site and keep refreshing while watching the cars come and go to see how accurate it really is. I haven't conducted that experiment yet, so my anecdotal experience is no better than the recent poster.

We charged there last week, car showed 1 vacancy as we drove in but on actu arrival there were 3 free. We sat In the pie shop for 15 minutes watching the chargers, it was about 10:00am, and there was a continuous flow of cars backing in and driving out. No one would have had to wait more than two minutes or so at tha time.

It was a very interesting view.

We charged there last week, car showed 1 vacancy as we drove in but on actu arrival there were 3 free. We sat In the pie shop for 15 minutes watching the chargers, it was about 10:00am, and there was a continuous flow of cars backing in and driving out. No one would have had to wait more than two minutes or so at tha time.

It was a very interesting view.
Does the v3 chargers powershare so each will only get half of 250kw?

Does the v3 chargers powershare so each will only get half of 250kw?

Each cabinet can provide 387kw of power but can share this power between all the cabinets on the site. In Australia they seem to be installing one cabinet for every 3 stalls. Therefore before being limited, if every stall were being used, the average change rate would need to exceed 129kw. This is technically possible but practically almost impossible, as the charge curves fall below this value quickly, even at low state of charge and preconditioned. It doesn't matter which shall you plug into as any stall can pull excess power from an underused cabinet.

It would take 7 LR/P M3 or MY charging at max power to exceed the capacity of a 12 stall site and 10 SR/RWD cars.

I've attached a picture of a cabinet plate at the recently installed 4 cabinet, 12 stall HomeCo Hawthorn East site.

1703983087613.png

Each cabinet can provide 387kw of power but can share this power between all the cabinets on the site. In Australia they seem to be installing one cabinet for every 3 stalls. Therefore before being limited, if every stall were being used, the average change rate would need to exceed 129kw. This is technically possible but practically almost impossible, as the charge curves fall below this value quickly, even at low state of charge and preconditioned. It doesn't matter which shall you plug into as any stall can pull excess power from an underused cabinet.
This is all correct, except that the 387kVA per cabinet is only on a 480V supply. In Australia with a 400V - 415V supply it's 322kVA - 334kVA per cabinet.

Each cabinet can provide 387kw of power but can share this power between all the cabinets on the site. In Australia they seem to be installing one cabinet for every 3 stalls. Therefore before being limited, if every stall were being used, the average change rate would need to exceed 129kw.
The 387kW figure is for 480V 3 phase as used in the US.
Here in Australia the 3 phase voltage is more typically 415V, though nowadays the nominal voltage is stated as 400V. So depending on the local supply in Australia you are probably looking at 320-335kW per cabinet.
1703802663836.png

Headed up to the mid north coast today for an impromptu couple of days away and it was chargeageddon north of Sydney.
  • Heatherbrae SC- 4 cars waiting at 1:30pm, one stall out of action, so kept going.
  • Heatherbrae BP Pulse - thought why not chance our arm… App said both ports “unavailable” but it’s not a big detour to have a look, someone might leave just before we get there. But the entire unit seemed powered off, with a warning sticker on it that it is power limited due to local supply issues. Previous PlugShare check-in said it’s been reported to BP.
  • Karuah Chargefox - all 3 units working but all in use and 3 cars waiting.
  • NRMA Nabiac - Didn’t stop as PlugShare reported not working. NRMA claimed the “system was down” affecting multiple chargers.
  • Taree Evie - Didn’t stop as PlugShare reported both units stopped working today.
I charged my car to 85% before leaving. Normally I’d do 100% overnight before any road trip, but this was a bit impromptu and certainly did not expect that 3 of the 5 charging options would be down. We made it to our destination with 10% left and luckily, chose accommodation with a destination charger, so no concerns getting back to Sydney.

But anyone with a shorter range EV would not have had a happy trip today.

Headed up to the mid north coast today for an impromptu couple of days away and it was chargeageddon north of Sydney.
  • Heatherbrae SC- 4 cars waiting at 1:30pm, one stall out of action, so kept going.
  • Heatherbrae BP Pulse - thought why not chance our arm… App said both ports “unavailable” but it’s not a big detour to have a look, someone might leave just before we get there. But the entire unit seemed powered off, with a warning sticker on it that it is power limited due to local supply issues. Previous PlugShare check-in said it’s been reported to BP.
  • Karuah Chargefox - all 3 units working but all in use and 3 cars waiting.
  • NRMA Nabiac - Didn’t stop as PlugShare reported not working. NRMA claimed the “system was down” affecting multiple chargers.
  • Taree Evie - Didn’t stop as PlugShare reported both units stopped working today.
I charged my car to 85% before leaving. Normally I’d do 100% overnight before any road trip, but this was a bit impromptu and certainly did not expect that 3 of the 5 charging options would be down. We made it to our destination with 10% left and luckily, chose accommodation with a destination charger, so no concerns getting back to Sydney.

But anyone with a shorter range EV would not have had a happy trip today.
Different experience to my trip. Arrived back from a trip from Sydney-Dubbo-Orange-Albury-Sydney had had a perfect charging experience. No queueing at all and used the new Holbrook and Yass sites twice with no issues. A Kia ev9 turned up at Yass but couldn't get it to charge on the Tesla chargers. A MG4 was there as well and it worked fine.

I've only done a few long trips in my Model Y, but each time I've gone to a fast charger there have been free bays available. So I'm wondering what do you do, what's the etiquette if there are no free bays? It's not like a petrol station where you can get in a queue going to a particular pump. And if someone is pulling out as you arrive, do you just go in? Seems like there may be someone waiting nearby. And often this is within a busy car park. Just wondering what the correct way to do this is. Thanks!