Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been a suggestion to the team to add locations for “Tesla Coming Soon”? Perhaps a different colour/icon.
It's been suggested but it's not really practical to include them, since there is no street address to add. (Plus it doesn't really tell you anything useful about when a site is coming, as plenty have just disappeared and others have sat on the map for years before being built)

Seems to be a site bug, but those all show "{permanently closed} 0 days" rather than dating from the backdated closed date.
I noticed that in the screenshots above, but I went and had another look and they appears to have updated.

1706689939212.png

Reactions: cafz
My pet theory: there's a Tesla team that flies around the world commissioning sites in "minor" countries like ours. They obviously had their hands full here in November/December, but now they've buggered off and we're not going to have any new SCs until they deign to come back.

I have no actual evidence for this theory, but you can see similar "bursty" construction in other smaller countries like Malaysia, which sprouted 4 SCs in under three months between Oct and Dec and has been snoozing ever since.

Reactions: johnchidgey
And note that most of those Jan openings were ones spotted under construction in Nov/Dec.

Certainly had been expecting North Lakes to happen this Jan.. but if there are power issues you probably don't get focus from the grid operator until late Jan.

Don't think the Aus Supercharger team is specifically supplemented, it's just that they have big end of year deadlines.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardV and Chuq
For anyone keeping tab. Exeter chargers at Heatherbrae pies borked. Three stalls just suddenly died today
They were borked (totally - none working and the car wouldn't consider the site as a charging stop) yesterday afternoon also. I was on my way back to Sydney from the Snowy Mountains and intending to stop there. Ended up going to the Kempower charger at KFC at Goulburn instead, as the Goulburn supercharger was maxed-out - I guess from cars diverting from Exeter. The Exeter chargers all came back online a bit after 5pm, when I was already stopped and charging at Goulburn KFC.

They were borked (totally - none working and the car wouldn't consider the site as a charging stop) yesterday afternoon also. I was on my way back to Sydney from the Snowy Mountains and intending to stop there. Ended up going to the Kempower charger at KFC at Goulburn instead, as the Goulburn supercharger was maxed-out - I guess from cars diverting from Exeter. The Exeter chargers all came back online a bit after 5pm, when I was already stopped and charging at Goulburn KFC.
There's also the Evie site over the other side of the highway at Exeter/Sutton Forest.

Reactions: Vostok
There's also the Evie site over the other side of the highway at Exeter/Sutton Forest.
Yeah, I know - I have used them before :) I really wanted a milkshake and custard tart from Heatherbrae Pies and didn't feel like McDonalds (and it is too far to walk to Heatherbrae Pies from the Evie chargers behind McDonalds), so my fallback was to use the Goulburn KFC chargers and walk around to the bakery (where I was able to get a very nice caramel slice and quiche).

Also importantly I didn't want to end up at the Evie chargers with 5% SoC - which is what I would have been when arriving at Exeter - and find they were dead or queued either since I wouldn't have been able to get to anywhere else, whereas by shooting for the Goulburn KFC charger I had the fallback of the Goulburn Supercharger which was at least UP even though it was very busy (or even the ChargeFox 350kW chargers at the north end of town, despite its "limited" food options).

The Evie App shows realtime status of all chargers
If I wasn’t already on the expressway at 110km/h by myself in the car when the nav system told me the Exeter chargers were all offline I might have been able to get my phone out and look at the Evie app ;) I also - again without being able to look in the Evie app - had no way of knowing if that whole area (ie the Evie chargers, Maccas and Heatherbrae Pies) were all having some sort of power outage, because the whole supercharger going out of service mid-afternoon is a fairly rare thing and possibly from some broader problem.

As it was I went with the safer option - three different DC charger sites within 5km of each other in a decent sized town. Was that the “best” choice? Dunno, but it worked ok for me and maybe cost me 10 minutes on a 14 hour day of driving vs a perfect charger choice.