Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Elon's an idiot. We need LIDAR. it can't work on just vision!"
"It won't work with out RADAR!"
"It can't park without USS!"
Yeah, saw a (completely unrelated to Tesla) talking about LIDAR on vehicles and saying how much of a failure it was. Radar and USS likewise have several limitations, I never trusted multimillion dollar with peak output power in the Mega Watts (stuff that would fry a person if they were standing in front of it) for the kinds of detail that radar systems in cars, operating in the milliwatts try to achieve. That's why they are so susceptible to reflections, side-lobes etc.

The new auto-park is looking fantastic.

There'll always be the armchair experts sprouting off about how dumb Elon is and by inference how much smarter they are, but I'll never bet against the guy who has revolutionised the auto industry, made EV's viable and turned space flight on it's head at the same time (along with a dozen other 'smaller' things).

Reactions: OzVic and SPadival
This is the problem with self-driving generally. We hold it to a much higher standard than that to which we hold human beings. 99.999..% is not good enough as soon as the first accident happens involving a self-driving car. It does not matter if the rest of the time the system drives demonstrably better than a human - it should matter, but human nature doesn't work that way, alas.

This is the problem with self-driving generally. We hold it to a much higher standard than that to which we hold human beings. 99.999..% is not good enough as soon as the first accident happens involving a self-driving car. It does not matter if the rest of the time the system drives demonstrably better than a human - it should matter, but human nature doesn't work that way, alas.
Exactly this ^^. It's like EV's and fires. We all know they're way less common than in an ICE car, yet look at what gets reported in the media... the one in one hundred EV fire that day.

Reactions: Jules22
Supercharger voting will probably finish for Q1 any day now.

I haven't pushed the voting much (a lot of indecision at the start of the quarter about which sites to include) and I note that no Australia sites are currently in the top 5. (I would like to claim that it's because I didn't promote the group voting, but that wouldn't be true - the gap is massive... ~650 votes vs over 3000 votes needed).

However when Q2 voting begins, we should start anew … list generally unchanged:
  • Port Wakefield, SA
  • Campbell Town, Tas
  • Narrandera, NSW
  • Ipswich, Qld
  • Leongatha, Vic
The document explaining it all, with a bunch of FAQs - Supercharger voting - call to action

TBH, I don't think the issue is how many EV fires compared to ICE vehicles, but the absolute runaway fire that it does create on the rare occasion that it does happen.

Is that really true though?

Yes, battery fires put out a lot of heat and toxic gasses but as we saw in Luton, the MUCH more common ICE fires can cause massive amounts of damage.

Throw in a Hybrid and like most things with those vehicles you have the worst of both worlds, you have a vehicle much more likely again to catch fire than even an ICE vehicle, with the battery and a tank of flammable liquid to cause maximum mayhem.

If you find the Fire investigators who did the youtube breaking down the Tesla that caught fire after hitting a massive chunk of metal that fell off a truck near Goulburn, the lengths that Tesla have gone to in regards to fire safety over and above other EV brands are quite amazing.

The biggest surprise to me was how untouched the cabin was, even a cheap plastic bottle of water sitting in the cup holder was untouched (the cheap clear plastic kind that will melt in the sun after five minutes). Yes I know the gasses would have made the interrior unsurvivable, but the way the battery pack is designed to drop any burning batteries out to limt spread and the protection between the pack and the cabin was quite amazing to see.

Was also interesting that the Tesla warned the occupants straight away, they had time to pull over all get out, they even went back to the vehicle I think it was 10-15 minutes later to get their stuff out of the boot (which was still operating despite the smoking batteries). That was quite amazing given the catastrophic damage that was done to the battery pack.

Last edited: