Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why isn’t any other EV manufacturer building charging infrastructure?

You keep repeating this, but why? Tesla is the only truly usable charger network in Australia and has more chargers than the rest combined, if they stop expanding there's nobody who can credibly fill in the gap.

It's a pipe dream, but I do wish BYD or somebody would get in on the act, the Chinese charging networks wipe the floor with Tesla. Tesla has ~50,000 SCs globally, China has over 1 million public chargers with Tgood alone operating around 500,000.

Musk needs to reassure the public on his decision otherwise people will lose confidence in buying the Tesla product. I currently own a 2023 MG4 excite 51 and a 2022 M3 lr. With the drop in price of the second hand Tesla's I have been considering selling my MG4 and buying a second hand M3 rwd so I've got two cars capable of road trips. Now I am thinking maybe it's not a good idea putting all my eggs in one basket.

Why isn’t any other EV manufacturer building charging infrastructure
Well they are in other places

* Electrify America - VW (originally from dieselgate penalties)
* Ionity - Europe network. Joint venture of the car manufacturers BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Hyundai Motor Group, Mercedes Benz AG and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche,
* BYD - Massive China network
* Nio - Battery swap stations in China and Europe

You keep repeating this, but why? Tesla is the only truly usable charger network in Australia and has more chargers than the rest combined, if they stop expanding there's nobody who can credibly fill in the gap.

It's a pipe dream, but I do wish BYD or somebody would get in on the act, the Chinese charging networks wipe the floor with Tesla. Tesla has ~50,000 SCs globally, China has over 1 million public chargers with Tgood alone operating around 500,000.
Because no one has explained ehy it is that it is Teslas responsibility to build charging infrastructure for the planet. Then people complain that it isn’t being done fast enough, in their area, compatible with all brands of EVs. Who are we to ask why they are not being transparent about this or that?
If that level of scrutiny is warranted then it can also be focussed on other businesses like fuel/supermarkets/pharma/defence/health/politicians

Why is it taboo to ask why Toyota/gm/hyundai/kia are not building ev charging networks.

By continuing to build it out are they leaving any room for other companies? Could they be accused of having a monopoly that can be exploited?

What is the ratio of charging at home vs supercharging?

By pumping the brakes it might give those Chinese/whoever companies a chance to build competition, as nd give people a perspective on what opportunities we are taking for granted. It can be a driver for projects like RAA to get more funding.

I am grateful there is anything at all and thankful for all you guys that have bought teslas vehicles before me and driven the demand for what we have.

The sky isn’t falling :)

Well they are in other places

* Electrify America - VW (originally from dieselgate penalties)
* Ionity - Europe network. Joint venture of the car manufacturers BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Hyundai Motor Group, Mercedes Benz AG and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche,
* BYD - Massive China network
* Nio - Battery swap stations in China and Europe
I appreciate that, and have followed posts in other threads about them.

In Australia how many car manufacturers are doing it?

Reactions: Jules22 and Quickst
I'm not sure how this affects Australia - have any Australia-based employees been affected by this? (Or does Tesla use US-based employees to manage/install the Australian Supercharger network?)
Cursory Linkedin lurking and I see some AU based SC deployment PM getting fired. They haven’t updated their bio yet , but they are liking & reposting stuff about the SC layoffs.

Musk needs to reassure the public on his decision otherwise people will lose confidence in buying the Tesla product
He has already done that on X. But no clicks in that for the legacy media to publish it.

Because no one has explained ehy it is that it is Teslas responsibility to build charging infrastructure for the planet. Then people complain that it isn’t being done fast enough, in their area, compatible with all brands of EVs. Who are we to ask why they are not being transparent about this or that?
If that level of scrutiny is warranted then it can also be focussed on other businesses like fuel/supermarkets/pharma/defence/health/politicians

Why is it taboo to ask why Toyota/gm/hyundai/kia are not building ev charging networks.

By continuing to build it out are they leaving any room for other companies? Could they be accused of having a monopoly that can be exploited?

What is the ratio of charging at home vs supercharging?

By pumping the brakes it might give those Chinese/whoever companies a chance to build competition, as nd give people a perspective on what opportunities we are taking for granted. It can be a driver for projects like RAA to get more funding.

I am grateful there is anything at all and thankful for all you guys that have bought teslas vehicles before me and driven the demand for what we have.

The sky isn’t falling :)
Couldn't have said it better mate.

It can be a driver for projects like RAA to get more funding.
Ive always suggested that any incentives for EV ownership should have been tied to the buildout of charging infrastruture. Instead of giving people stamp duty (State) tax deductions (feds) the money could have been used to incentivise a DCFC infrastructure buildout - build a DCFC and incentives are provided at point of purchase of an EV. Dont build an DCFC network, no purchase incentives.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
The sky isn’t falling
Of course it's not falling.. but it is a little darker.

One of the reasons I and many others bought Tesla's is because of the supercharger network, and an expectation that Tesla (or others) would continue to expand it as EV sales grew.

And unsurprisingly Tesla has gotten great market share in Australia and the US (less in other markets like Europe and China where other manufacturers have also invested in networks)

Had Hyundai or BYD (or any of the others) invested in a local network as well, I suspect there sales may have been higher.

And I have queued at Superchargers on peak days on a few occasions, though only use it for long road trips.

While I suspect Tesla will rebuild this team, this decision will undoubtedly impact the rollout over the short to medium term. That may mean more queues over late 2024/ 2025.

And it will probably hurt sales as potential buyers get concerned about this... Real smart to do this when Tesla is already facing a sales downturn globally.

It's not taboo, it's that it's been asked, answered, and if you ask the same question again, you'll get the same answer.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense for service stations, fast food chains and shopping centres to build charging networks, than it does for a vehicle manufacturer.

Real smart to do this when Tesla is already facing a sales downturn globally.
Yes its definitely a major point of difference - well the only point of difference for me. I care little about the various Tesla philosophies or so called "tech". I just want to be able to get from A to B in an EV without having to specifically plan the charging strategy. I hope its only just a tactical nuke and not MAD.

Elon Musk said Tesla will focus on "expansion of existing locations", which is exactly what is required to handle peak demand during the holidays.

We were spoilt for choice on where to supercharge on the Melbourne-Sydney route. Some of the SCs will be under-utilised because unless you manually add them as a stop, the nav will simply skip them by default (for example, Exeter SC) because the nav is optimised to reach a lower charging % that will deliver faster charging speed under the charging curve. Also, most of the SCs only ever get full during the long weekend. So a solution would be to setup temporary SCs during the long weekend or expand existing SCs for peak demand. Seems they are opting for the latter.
I did read see the tweet. As long as they keep expanding, I am happy :)

But yes other charging providers need to come to the party as well, although I never touch third party chargers if a Tesla is nearby due to the so often poor reliability.

Reactions: SPadival and dronus
Because no one has explained ehy it is that it is Teslas responsibility to build charging infrastructure for the planet.

That’s a strawman, because who has ever claimed that is it Tesla’s responsibility to build charging infrastructure for the planet? No-one here has.

The point is that the SC network was clearly part of the Tesla brand halo. It works seamlessly with the vehicles and has the best uptime in the industry. It was clearly adding value and was a motivator for attracting new buyers and keeping repeat buyers.

So in what universe does it make sense to knife the entire thing?

And Elon’s tweets on this are vague and non-committal about what happens next.

There are reports that SC contractors in the USA are getting bounced emails, because the people in Tesla they were talking to regarding contractual, construction, permitting, accounting or any other matter have been fired. When that happens, what contractor is going to finish jobs that were in progress?

These things don’t build and maintain themselves. It takes many people even to keep it running and pay the bills, let alone expand existing sites. But it seems they are all gone - a massive loss of institutional knowledge and experience from which it could easily take 1-2 years to recover, if Elon’s slower build/expansion focus is actually true and he discovers for himself (no-one can tell Elon anything, apparently, until he discovers it himself) that he has to re-hire a lot of the people/functions he just fired.

It's a bit hard to continue existing rollouts, when there no one left to even reply to emails from Supply Authorities about Tesla Supercharger installs.

Kyle reads a message from a Supply Authority employee at 9:40 mark. All emails to Tesla Charging are bouncing. Supply Authorities have no idea how to get Charger Supply status.

This is going to kill any confidence in anyone spec'ing Tesla Superchargers.