Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comiing Supercharger Sites: (based on Talking Tesla Podcast episode 120):
1. Montecito California (Caruso-owned Miramar Hotel development that is under construction south of Santa Barbara on U.S. 101.
2. Pacific Palisades California Caruso-owned development west of Los Angeles and north of Santa Monica to be called Palisades Park. I speculate this is the location where Elon tweeted about having '50s-style car-hop service.

1. Montecito California (Caruso-owned Miramar Hotel development that is under construction south of Santa Barbara on U.S. 101.
2. Pacific Palisades California Caruso-owned development west of Los Angeles and north of Santa Monica to be called Palisades Park. I speculate this is the location where Elon tweeted about having '50s-style car-hop service.

Sounds good! How confirmed are these? Any permits found?

Reactions: MelaniainLA

Elon Musk on Twitter

He responded that it would be “near 405” when someone asked if it would be in Irvine on the 5 or 405. Did he mean Irvine near the 405? Or just 405 in general? *shrug*

• Funny
So I listened to this podcast to find out the exact source on this. They start talking about this around 1:08. To paraphrase, he was at a supercharger under construction (Calabasas or Thousand Oaks I think) and was talking to someone who seemed to be in charge of the whole supercharger system expansion. The podcast guy seemed quite convinced this guy knew what he was talking about.

Regarding the Montecito supercharger, the place the guy said it was going is the under construction Rosewood Miramar Beach Hotel (Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito). Some quick research shows this has a target opening of summer 2018, despite having some delays. With the recent devastating mudslides in Montecito (I took the train yesterday and didn't notice much damage at this construction site), and the previous delays at this construction site, if this is going to actually be a supercharger location, I wouldn't expect it until early 2019 at earliest. No permits found either (search "Tesla" under building application project name here: https://aca.sbcountyplanning.org/CitizenAccess/). Seems like an odd location too, not a ton of businesses nearby other than the hotel itself (someone correct me on this if I am wrong).

The podcast also talked about guests at this hotel being able to rent a Tesla through the hotel to take to other hotels in the network.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy, gene and Chuq
The other development which will be a Supercharger site also has a url. It is called "Palisades Village." Here is the url:
PALISADES VILLAGE – THIS STREET IS YOUR STREET

So I listened to this podcast to find out the exact source on this. They start talking about this around 1:08. To paraphrase, he was at a supercharger under construction (Calabasas or Thousand Oaks I think) and was talking to someone who seemed to be in charge of the whole supercharger system expansion. The podcast guy seemed quite convinced this guy knew what he was talking about.

Regarding the Montecito supercharger, the place the guy said it was going is the under construction Rosewood Miramar Beach Hotel (Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito). Some quick research shows this has a target opening of summer 2018, despite having some delays. With the recent devastating mudslides in Montecito (I took the train yesterday and didn't notice much damage at this construction site), and the previous delays at this construction site, if this is going to actually be a supercharger location, I wouldn't expect it until early 2019 at earliest. No permits found either (search "Tesla" under building application project name here: https://aca.sbcountyplanning.org/CitizenAccess/). Seems like an odd location too, not a ton of businesses nearby other than the hotel itself (someone correct me on this if I am wrong).

The podcast also talked about guests at this hotel being able to rent a Tesla through the hotel to take to other hotels in the network.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq

Interconnected Caruso sites plan to allow you to leave your car and take a Tesla from various locations such as The Americana at Brand, Glendale or The Grove, Los Angeles and drive it to the Caruso resort in Montecito, this is a perk for staying at this very expensive resort. Then drive your loaner Tesla back to the Caruso mall where you started, ending your vacation. And yes I am “that guy” from the Talking Tesla podcast. My source was a Caruso executive, he didn’t know he was speaking to a podcaster.

• Informative

I also got the impression that Caruso is very Sympatico with Elon, both Caruso & the executive I spoke with drive Teslas. Their goal is to have a supercharger at each of their retail facilities. Why not? Teslas = high rollers. Caruso Website: Our Portfolio - Caruso
Keep your eyes open boys & girls

F5245E34-AAF4-49A7-9E27-199F4B3C46B8.jpeg
I posted under the other Thousand Oaks supercharger thread (nearing completion) that I feel very confident this second Thousand Oaks Superchargers at The Oaks will be developed:

I spoke to an exec at The Oaks mall in Thousand Oaks, 350 West Hillcrest Dr., there exists a 21-parking spot isolated lot (see picture) behind the structure that sports a large PV installation near Nordstrom‘s. Previous speculation = 20 superchargers, is highly likely. I spoke to a mall executive inspecting another construction site at the mall. I asked about the Tesla Supercharger being installed at the lot in question. He winced & shot back “How did you hear about that?” His body language indicated discomfort. The plans are obviously still under wraps except on this forum. He assured me he could not confirm any such project but smiled and said “we look forward to serving Tesla owners“ (with a smirk).

I have a nice panoramic shot of the parking lot but keep getting an error message. “security error occurred.”

Attachments

• 772B7075-FC14-4C64-83B3-56967DD1E929.jpeg
    772B7075-FC14-4C64-83B3-56967DD1E929.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 67
I'm not sure if this inquiry is in the correct geographic location. Any hints about a Chula Vista supercharging station? It's on the Tesla map. Traveling down to Imperial Beach in July from Sacramento and I'm starting to think about my charging strategy given how busy the San Diego charging stations are.

I'm not sure if this inquiry is in the correct geographic location. Any hints about a Chula Vista supercharging station? It's on the Tesla map. Traveling down to Imperial Beach in July from Sacramento and I'm starting to think about my charging strategy given how busy the San Diego charging stations are.

There are a couple of Chademo stations nearby your destination. Do you have the Chademo adapter? That would allow you to skip the supercharger....