Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging growth lagging compared to sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traveling around Ontario this summer, I'm noticing how most Supercharger sites are in full usage more often. Looking at the expansion plans available on Tesla's website it seems as if it's lagging comparatively to the sales of new vehicles. With the impending adoption of the Tesla plug by other manufacturers, is there anything suggesting that the rollout will increase or that they'll upgrade existing charging sites with more powerful units to increase throughput? Any insight would be appreciated. If not, Tesla is going to have to come up with some kind of software queuing scheme because it's a free-for-all already.

Traveling around Ontario this summer, I'm noticing how most Supercharger sites are in full usage more often. Looking at the expansion plans available on Tesla's website it seems as if it's lagging comparatively to the sales of new vehicles. With the impending adoption of the Tesla plug by other manufacturers, is there anything suggesting that the rollout will increase or that they'll upgrade existing charging sites with more powerful units to increase throughput? Any insight would be appreciated. If not, Tesla is going to have to come up with some kind of software queuing scheme because it's a free-for-all already.
Ontario has good CCS infrastructure, get an adapter. Eg.At London super charge, pack of Tesla there. But the much cheaper and sometimes free two CCS chargers haven't been used at all.

It's funny how experiences vary. On the weekend I did Ottawa to Mississauga to Hamilton and back. Absolutely no issues, great speeds and just a generally easy trip - spoiled for choice in Superchargers for the most part - there are way more than needed on those stretches and none were full.

Which were the specific locations you had issues with? In the past I've seen Vaughan Mills be pretty busy but that's just a very busy part of the GTA, lots of Teslas and the time of day you're there (e.g. peak mall time) seems to matter a lot.

Reactions: SO16
It's funny how experiences vary. On the weekend I did Ottawa to Mississauga to Hamilton and back. Absolutely no issues, great speeds and just a generally easy trip - spoiled for choice in Superchargers for the most part - there are way more than needed on those stretches and none were full.

Which were the specific locations you had issues with? In the past I've seen Vaughan Mills be pretty busy but that's just a very busy part of the GTA, lots of Teslas and the time of day you're there (e.g. peak mall time) seems to matter a lot.
Vaughan Mills also seems to be a popular site where Legacy S/X cars with FUSC go to charge all the time and clog up the stalls.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

Vaughan Mills, Sherway Gardens, usually northern cottage country (Barrie - especially the south one) and even Bracebridge. I know that it could be a coincidence of timing, but I also think that it's only going to get busier as time passes. What's proposed will help but I don't think it'll be enough if there's an onslaught of EVs using Tesla's network of chargers in the coming years...

The latest news I have seen was back in May: Tesla to Share Supercharger Network in Canada’s EV Expansion - TeslaNorth.com

Tesla’s contribution to this initiative is significant. Later this year, Tesla will pilot an open Supercharging route for EV drivers between Sudbury and Ottawa. By the end of 2025, 750 charging connectors at public locations will be available to non-Tesla EV drivers, including at least 350 250kW Superchargers. These open chargers will span across Canada, with the route covering the Trans-Canada Highway from Ottawa to Calgary.

• Informative
But the expansion doesn’t appear to be happing in Canada. I see on the map stations to come and the estimated dates they show are always being bumped further out.
Out in Western Canada, I don't think any new proposed locations have been added to Tesla's Find Us map since last April. It is possible that Tesla has decided to no longer show future sites on their map. In recent months several sites have been under construction or opened that were never shown as future sites. Expansion of the Tesla charging network is definitely ongoing in Western Canada, into new areas and with additional capacity in areas already served. As well it would appear that the average # of stalls is higher for new sites compared to the situation in prior years.

422 of the 2058 stalls in Canada were built in 2023. That's not bad growth.

I think we're starting to get a lot of owners that couldn't be bothered to buy $250 worth of electrical supplies and install a simple 6-20 plug in their garage. An hour of Youtube instruction to do it safely and $100 to have a homeowner permit, so it's inspected is not exactly rocket science.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SO16
Vaughan Mills also seems to be a popular site where Legacy S/X cars with FUSC go to charge all the time and clog up the stalls.
I’ve never thought the SC at a busy shopping mall was a good idea. If I ever experience a “full” SC it will be at Sherway or Vaughan Mills. I rarely SC unless on a road trip but I think this is a valid concern by @TrevTremaine

Reactions: KevinT3141
Given we're now into 2024, looking at the SC map, there's only a scant few new chargers planned for this year across Canada. According to the Tesla map, there's 4 spots with a yellow star and a handful of grey "opening in 2024". I'm hoping that there will be more forthcoming or perhaps that some of the older 150kW chargers get updated to 250 (or better). If the sales growth is there and they open up to other manufacturers we will be sitting in lines soon enough. Along the busier corridors such as between Toronto and Montreal or Toronto to cottage country you'll encounter line ups during peak commute times. They'll need to add more in key locations but I assume that Tesla won't be able to get into those OnRoutes because they're already tied to gas stations?

I’ve never thought the SC at a busy shopping mall was a good idea. If I ever experience a “full” SC it will be at Sherway or Vaughan Mills. I rarely SC unless on a road trip but I think this is a valid concern by @TrevTremaine
Struja, the good news is that there are nearby alternatives. There's supposed to be an alternate built near to Vaughan Mills this year and one has recently opened up north of Dixie Outlet Centre.

Reactions: Struja
Given we're now into 2024, looking at the SC map, there's only a scant few new chargers planned for this year across Canada. According to the Tesla map, there's 4 spots with a yellow star and a handful of grey "opening in 2024". I'm hoping that there will be more forthcoming or perhaps that some of the older 150kW chargers get updated to 250 (or better). If the sales growth is there and they open up to other manufacturers we will be sitting in lines soon enough. Along the busier corridors such as between Toronto and Montreal or Toronto to cottage country you'll encounter line ups during peak commute times. They'll need to add more in key locations but I assume that Tesla won't be able to get into those OnRoutes because they're already tied to gas stations?
The 2024 numbers look more encouraging on the Supercharge.info site; 20 new Tesla locations under construction in Canada at the moment. Maybe others that have gone unnoticed so far?

They'll need to add more in key locations but I assume that Tesla won't be able to get into those OnRoutes because they're already tied to gas stations?

Now that J3400 has been adopted as a standard you'll start to see Electrify Canada/IVY/Circle K add stalls in future builds or retro fits
I don't think this will happen until 2025 though

I really don't know why new SC locations don't even have v4 stalls yet since Tesla plans to share v3 sites very soon
Personally, I'm not buying a 2nd EV until I see how things play out

Doesn't this only apply to non-Tesla EVs? Do you care that much if it is V3 or V4 if you are driving a Tesla?

As a Tesla owner I don't want to show up to a v3 SC and see a non tesla taking up 2 spots because the charge cable is too short
I think this needs to be addressed before opening up sites

I'm not patient so I don't want to be in a queue - this is me being selfish

As a Tesla owner I don't want to show up to a v3 SC and see a non tesla taking up 2 spots because the charge cable is too short
I think this needs to be addressed before opening up sites

I'm not patient so I don't want to be in a queue - this is me being selfish
Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know about the cable length issue. Are there still V1 and V2 SCs or were they all retrofit to be at least V3.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know about the cable length issue. Are there still V1 and V2 SCs or were they all retrofit to be at least V3.

Since there's no OFFICAL notes from Tesla Energy, this is what I understand:

V2 won't be available for non-tesla charging
V3 will be available with adapters for non-tesla
V4 none in Canada yet however based on US roll out these are V3 back end with a new v4 stall

Phase 1: Ford GM, early Feb 2024
Maybe Tesla has good data from Ford/GM and they can predict SC utilization, hopefully this transition is non event :)

How do you even know what is V2 vs V3? Do you have to decode it from the Tesla website:

This is Pickering: 20 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW

And this is Scarborough: 8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW

So given the max of 250kW vs 150 kW that implies V3 vs V2 - is that correct?