Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem champ :)

If you're planning to stay overnight in Coffs, you'll need the 3-phase 32A UMC adaptor from EVnomics as well as the Euro 5 pin tail available from Tesla in Artarmon. Single or dual charger, it doesn't matter, you'll need both & will charge at approximately 50 kph. As far as I know, there aren't any destination chargers in Coffs yet. Consider it'll take about 8 hours for a range charge so it's probably a good idea to find accommodation nearby, possibly North Coast Holiday Parks Coffs Harbour

No SC's in Brisbane yet but there are plenty of other options. Definitely get the PlugShare app and sign up to see all available chargers there. Plenty of destination chargers like Next Hotel & 3 Secure Parking locations at Post Office Square, Wintergarden & Queens Plaza.

Thank you WhiteStar and Mark E for your responses.

So do I have this right if I was heading north:

Sydney to Port Macquarie
LUNCHBREAK (1 hour)
Port Macquarie to Coffs Harbour
OVERNIGHTER
Coffs Harbour To Brisbane

Should I purchase the adapters? I don't have the dual chargers in my car so will that negate the need for the adapter? Do I just rely on destination charger and not purchase any extra adapter? Sorry about all the questions, but I will be doing this drive mid June and wanted to make sure I'm doing in right, and in the least possible time. Thank you in advance.

Sorry one more question, as there are no SC's in Brisbane what do visitors do around Brisbane?

I think that it'd be worthwhile having them in your kit bag for the future. Its not worth buying a 32A 3 phase UMC with only single charger in the car. If you are going to do long trips off the beaten track (i.e. no superchargers) then look into getting the second charger installed.

I think that you will be in Coffs for longer than an hour at only 50km/h charging. Are you on the slack group?
Re: Brisbane, I've found that in most cases just finding a 10A plug is enough if you are able to leave the car plugged in for a long time. You will put about 10km/h from a normal power point, after a day or so you can put in quite a lot. Have a look at plugshare and you will find a range of plugs available - there are destination chargers in a few of the city car parks. There are also some J1772 chargers about from plugshare. You will need an adapter cable that you can get from evnomics that will let you use them.

I have the Tesla UMC and also the J1772. I also have an aftermarket Maxicharger UMC with 15A single phase and also 20 and 32A 3phase plugs. I have dual chargers. The Tesla UMC in Australia is pretty limited, but with only single chargers is adequate.

Is it possible to go Port Macquarie to Byron Bay destination charger?
I'd recommend that you take a look at EV Trip Planner It's a great resource for working out the energy needed between any points. In an 85 you have about 75kWh available, I don't know about a 90, but 77 would be pretty safe. Allow extra power for rain, if its really cold or hot or if you are driving faster. In my S85 I operate on the typical range which works out to 200Wh/km. That number is generally easy to achieve.

Make sure to use the energy app on the dash in conjunction with the navigation and it will tell you how you are tracking. If you are using too much power just slow down a bit. Sitting behind other vehicles (not tailgating) will also make quite a difference, especially if they are a big vehicle like a 4WD. Don't follow behind closely if the road isn't great unless you like stone chips...

I've only done the BNE to SYD and back once.
I have a single charger 70D.

I used the J1772 adapter cable at Stockland shopping centre Burleigh and at The EcoPark 19 Grays Lane Tyagarah.
I used a Tesla UMC plus the 32A three phase to Euro 5 pin cable for for the UMC at Coff's Harbour Showgrounds and mangrovemike's in Newcastle.

I also took 50A (both 3phase and single phase), 20A 3 phase, 20A, 15A and 10A single phase (that last one came with the UMC) to Euro 5 pin cables for the UMC but did not need any of them (YourMilageMayVary). In Sydney I purchased a CHAdeMO adaptor but have yet to need that either.

I used destination chargers during overnight stays at: The Nelson Resort, Brunswick River Inn and The Observatory.
I also used the Cassegrain and St Leonards Super Chargers in NSW.

I stand indebted to Mike of Newcastle, thanks very much Mike for providing a much needed charging location and a friendly attitude. The EcoPark noted above was still a work in progress when I visited but Dieter is a lovely man, let me drive his BMW REX i3 too while I got some charge in my car. All the overnight stays noted above were excellent, the folks at Coff's Harbour were also first rate as were those at the two SuperCharger locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: MangroveMike
Having just received my model S yesterday, I was catching up on some reading and came across this thread. I have a beachfront property at Wooli, NSW (midway between Port McQuarrie and Byron Bay - about 30 minutes from the highway). When I say beachfront I mean the front of the house is 20 metres from the beach. The property is usually only available for three nights days or longer. However, I'll speak to the agent managing it and see if we can make an exception for Tesla owners to stay just for one night. At the moment it has a 10 amp GPO outlet in the back yard area with parking for four vehicles.

I’m planning to install a HPWC before the end of the year. I’ve attached a link to the property below - but please know that I’m not doing this to drum up business (the property rents very well as is), but it might be handy location for my fellow Teslatravellers.

RIPTIDE

I’ll speak with a real estate agent today and see if we can come to an arrangement for overnight stays, just for Tesla Owners.

Vegas

Reactions: omniwolf and Chuq
Thank you WhiteStar and Mark E for your responses.

So do I have this right if I was heading north:

Sydney to Port Macquarie
LUNCHBREAK (1 hour)
Port Macquarie to Coffs Harbour
OVERNIGHTER
Coffs Harbour To Brisbane

Should I purchase the adapters? I don't have the dual chargers in my car so will that negate the need for the adapter? Do I just rely on destination charger and not purchase any extra adapter? Sorry about all the questions, but I will be doing this drive mid June and wanted to make sure I'm doing in right, and in the least possible time. Thank you in advance.

Sorry one more question, as there are no SC's in Brisbane what do visitors do around Brisbane?
Currently to charge at Coffs, you will need the Euro three phase UMC adapter from Tesla and a Euro to Oz 32 AMP three phase adaptor from Evnomics or make one up. You can then charge at either the show grounds or stay at the caravan park at the end of the show grounds and they will let you plug in there.

In Brisbane, there are a number of destination chargers and a few CHAdeMO chargers - see PlugShare.

Is a CHAdeMO adapter worth purchasing? I have a CHAdeMO 5 mins away from me. Also the 2 in Brisbane?

I think they're Veefill and have a HPWC connected to them?
upload_2016-5-25_8-51-27.png