Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely The Nullabor is the perfect opportunity to install a few solar superchargers? Space them a bit further apart, say 400 km apart. Put 50 kW of solar and a few PowerPacks, you would not be charging many cars and can always add extra later once established if needed. A massive publicity opportunity as almost all very remote power is diesel generated therefore negating a lot of the benefit of EVs. The original investment for the superchargers was included in the Model S price at around $3,000 a car to so they should have some spare cash to deploy into this with over 500 Model S in Australia already.

Please not 400km apart, the best I can do is 350km on a full charge in range mode with an extra 5psi in the tyres in my 70D and a 60 or a base Model 3 would be even more stranded.

I guess the roadhouses can add a hefty premium to the power cost as there's really no other alternative at this time, although $1.00 per kWh is still cheaper than driving a family size ICE across the country.
Which roadhouse is running a parallel solar system?
Balladonia is the one. They have a three phase outlet available as well. See Plugshare. I posted their details. You would need to contact them. Im considering a trip in the future. Id take my generator. "Have faith in the Lord but keep your powder dry"

Balladonia is the one. They have a three phase outlet available as well. See Plugshare. I posted their details. You would need to contact them. Im considering a trip in the future. Id take my generator. "Have faith in the Lord but keep your powder dry"

I looked it up and found this interesting link, looks like the solar panels are cutting the diesel usage by 20-25%, payback time is less than 5 years.

Balladonia | 40kW Solar PV System

See also MDKs recent thread referring to the upcoming Nullarbor trip.

Please not 400km apart, the best I can do is 350km on a full charge in range mode with an extra 5psi in the tyres in my 70D and a 60 or a base Model 3 would be even more stranded.

Only 400 km for the first few years, they could infill from 2018/19 onwards or they could put them either side of the roadhouses so you get a top up only at the road house and a full charge at the supercharger if you cannot make the range? I do not think you will see many model 3 cars on the road for a few years yet. 70D can only go 350? I thought driving at 60/70 km/h it would make the 400 km mark?

I've occasionally been stalking the DAs for various councils on the route. Found one at Coffs Harbour for a reasonably big petrol + fast food development in Moonee Beach, just north of Coffs and just off the highway. Next to an existing shopping centre and a few restaurants. It would be ideal for a Supercharger except I doubt the development would be even close to finished before the end of the year. Still, they could put a 2-bay temporary charger in.

Google Maps

upload_2016-5-13_21-44-27.png

229 km to Ewingsdale? Is that too far?

But then, I did just make a suggestion that was 222 km, so I'm all over the place really...

Big Banana would be consistent with the Dog on the Tuckerbox at Gundagai, though.

Iconic location, plenty of space, things to do, right on the highway and I know that Tesla have approached them. Don't know if anything has been (or will be) finalised though.

And anywhere up to say 30km north of there is super tough, as with the new highway there is really not many possible locations to the north within the required distance band.

Having said that, over the next few years, the 229km distance will reduce as new segments open. But yes, it is on the long side.

Iconic location, plenty of space, things to do, right on the highway and I know that Tesla have approached them. Don't know if anything has been (or will be) finalised though.

And anywhere up to say 30km north of there is super tough, as with the new highway there is really not many possible locations to the north within the required distance band.

Having said that, over the next few years, the 229km distance will reduce as new segments open. But yes, it is on the long side.

I reckon it would be a great place for superchargers, particularly for those travelling with kids.

Reactions: LGGD
Is anyone else skeptical that Tesla will NOT accomplish the Sydney to Brisbane route by the end of the year? It is already mid-May and so far only one location has been built. Don't know about others but I'm thinkin' tik tok.

The bit that takes the longest is getting planning approval. (in addition to finding a suitable location in the first place) The actual build only takes a few weeks and I imagine much of it is done by local contractors and therefore multiple sites can be built at the same time. It's far too early to say it won't be done by the end of the year!

Yeah we had the same speculation that they'd not do it in time for the Mel-Syd route. As others have said it's all the backroom negotiations and paperwork that takes the time, they can knock out the actual installation pretty quickly and there's no particular reason they can't be built in parallel either. I don't think there's any reason as yet to think they won't make it by the end of the year. Edit: apologies for basically repeating what mdk said, didn't see his post!

Quick question for those of you have done the sydney to Brisbane round trip drive, what do you guys suggest in terms of on board plugs I should carry or are they even required. My preference is to do an over nighter on the way up and on the way back. That's what i used to do with my ICE vehicle. Any suggestions?

I was looking into these:

Tesla UMC Adaptor - Twin Pack - 20A + 32A

When I drove a P85D from Sydney to Port Macquarie, it was borderline, having to top up in Newcastle with a J1772 adaptor. There are several 3-phase options available in Newcastle if you have the UMC 3-phase 32A adaptor & Tesla Euro 5 pin tail. Check Plugshare for details. I go non-stop regularly in the P90D with a reasonable margin remaining & charge overnight at The Observatory.

From Port Macquarie to Brisbane, probably the best option is to range charge to 100% at Coffs Harbour Showgrounds with the same 3-phase adaptor & Euro 5 pin tail. Once the Ewingsdale SC at The Farm opens, you'll be able to go Port Macquarie direct to Ewingsdale then direct to Brisbane without the 3-phase range charge in Coffs Harbour.

Charging at Coffs will need a 32A 3 Phase plug. If you are using the Tesla supplied charger then you will get around 50km/h from it. If you have dual chargers and use a third party UMC then you can get 105km/h...

Sydney to Port Macquarie should be relatively easy - I drove from Hornsby to Pt Macquarie in my S85 at 105-110 and had 50km range at the superchargers there. Coming back I did the same with 4 people and luggage on a 29 degree day with air-conditioning running.

When I drove a P85D from Sydney to Port Macquarie, it was borderline, having to top up in Newcastle with a J1772 adaptor. There are several 3-phase options available in Newcastle if you have the UMC 3-phase 32A adaptor & Tesla Euro 5 pin tail. Check Plugshare for details. I go non-stop regularly in the P90D with a reasonable margin remaining & charge overnight at The Observatory.

From Port Macquarie to Brisbane, probably the best option is to range charge to 100% at Coffs Harbour Showgrounds with the same 3-phase adaptor & Euro 5 pin tail. Once the Ewingsdale SC at The Farm opens, you'll be able to go Port Macquarie direct to Ewingsdale then direct to Brisbane without the 3-phase range charge in Coffs Harbour.

Thank you WhiteStar and Mark E for your responses.

So do I have this right if I was heading north:

Sydney to Port Macquarie
LUNCHBREAK (1 hour)
Port Macquarie to Coffs Harbour
OVERNIGHTER
Coffs Harbour To Brisbane

Should I purchase the adapters? I don't have the dual chargers in my car so will that negate the need for the adapter? Do I just rely on destination charger and not purchase any extra adapter? Sorry about all the questions, but I will be doing this drive mid June and wanted to make sure I'm doing in right, and in the least possible time. Thank you in advance.

Sorry one more question, as there are no SC's in Brisbane what do visitors do around Brisbane?