Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Melbourne via Tesla Superchargers, how long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's around the back, quite a different location. Took me a while to find it when I was there. Circled in red, below.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Will hit the Melbourne Supercharger after we check in to our hotel and look for somewhere to eat nearby, open to any suggestions.
Taking the overnight ferry on Sunday arriving in Davenport on Monday, will top up at the Supcharger prior to leaving for the boat. On arrival may have breakfast at Anvers to top up.
Thanks @tragic for the advice re putting it in Jack mode
Staying in Hobart at the RACT Hotel so hopefully The charging is working.
Any recommendations for lunch in central Tasmania on Monday?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Will hit the Melbourne Supercharger after we check in to our hotel and look for somewhere to eat nearby, open to any suggestions.
Taking the overnight ferry on Sunday arriving in Davenport on Monday, will top up at the Supcharger prior to leaving for the boat. On arrival may have breakfast at Anvers to top up.
Thanks @tragic for the advice re putting it in Jack mode
Staying in Hobart at the RACT Hotel so hopefully The charging is working.
Any recommendations for lunch in central Tasmania on Monday?
Campbell Town is about halfway from Devonport to Hobart. I’d have a coffee or meal al Zeps cafe, but there are a few other options as well

Yeah it's around the back, quite a different location. Took me a while to find it when I was there. Circled in red, below.

Good point, I found it hard to locate the first time as well. I notice the marker on the Tesla map is in the correct location and I've just updated the Plugshare marker to the more precise location as well.

You should be able to get from Anvers to MONA fine, most likely Anvers straight to the RACT Hotel fine.

However if you have a 3-phase adaptor you can top up in Launceston (Brisbane St parking meters) or Campbell Town (Banjos) - both on Plugshare. Banjos let you use the 3-phase for free if you are a customer. Detouring into Launceston adds about 20 km to your trip, but it has absolutely no shortage of food options. (See map - red dots are the parking meters)

Late to the party but as another data point I've done Melbourne to Sydney solo in my S60 in 12 hours door to door (Sth Melb to Sydney CBD Hotel) with relaxed stops for lunch and dinner and in absolute pouring rain the whole way (which hit range quite a bit). I could have pushed it a bit faster if I'd rushed lunch or dinner and the larger battery models which charge quicker could do faster again I assume.

I am predicting 12 hours based on an average of 40 minutes at each Supercharger. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Its better than reasonable, its spot on.
On my Syd Mel Syd 24 hour trip, I averaged exactly that. Sometimes 35min sometimes 45min.
Simply only charge untill you have enough to get to the next SC but dont forget to add 15% for temperature error if you are driving in the middle of winter or summer.

So the road trip starts tomorrow.
Bonus that the Southern Highlands house is not being used by our sharemates this weekend so we have already got a head start.
Will leave between 7:30 and 8 AM and get to Goulburn about the same time as if we had left Sydney at 6AM.

So far the road trip is not going well. I have not had the need to Supercharge for more than a year and as we were able to leave from the southern highlands we could skip Goulburn. Plugged in at Gundagai and went in to get something to eat. Checked the app and it was still starting to charge 10 minutes later. Tried a bunch of different stalls all the same.
Rang Tesla Roadside Assist and they could see my connection lights were green flashing but not charging.
After some analysis, restarting the car etc there was no change. He found the nearest destination charger at Hillview Farmstay further along the Hume. He said that sometimes charging on AC will wake or reset the battery and allow you to Supercharge again. We googled it and found Ruth the owners number and she graciously consented to letting us charge. Will the manager let us charge for free and it was a16A 3phase which gave us 58 Km/h. Charged for an hour to get us to 209 Rated to go the 150Km to Wodonga.
Drove to Wodonga at 100 Km/h to conserve energy and got there with 32Km left. Same deal there. Looked up local destination charge hotel so we are now plugged into 32Amp single phase and it will complete a 100% charge at around 3 AM this morning. I'm also in the doghouse for arguing to go by car.
Moral of the story check you can Supercharge before going on a long journey.
Looks like I won't be able to answer the question posed by this thread after all.

He said that sometimes charging on AC will wake or reset the battery and allow you to Supercharge again.
I'm not a Tesla owner (yet... I own a LEAF) but if this is the case, use the portable EVSE and find the closest public 240V powerpoint to "wake" your Tesla and go back to the supercharger, rather than driving a possibly long distance to the nearest destination charger. If it's literally some reset/wake issue, plugging into AC for less than a minute should do it. Sounds like a service call when you get back too.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I'm not a Tesla owner (yet... I own a LEAF) but if this is the case, use the portable EVSE and find the closest public 240V powerpoint to "wake" your Tesla and go back to the supercharger, rather than driving a possibly long distance to the nearest destination charger. If it's literally some reset/wake issue, plugging into AC for less than a minute should do it. Sounds like a service call when you get back too.

That's weird though.. wouldn't @meloccom have been charging on AC the evening before he left?

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile