Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that range likely won’t be an impediment if it is at least a decent level. I believe this car will succeed or not based on the software.

One significant reason I believe the Model 3 is so good is the user interface, from the simple-to-use navigation (including directing you to Superchargers when needed), the radio interface (put aside your view of Slacker), the incredibly simple-to-use driver assist features, the ability to easily check other information (like the rear camera, tire pressure and electric efficiency), the HVAC (especially the easy ability to start to heat and cool the car from afar using the app), and on and on — Let alone the continual updates to all these systems. This approach to operating the car’s features is very intuitive and it shows the incredible thought that all of the Tesla engineers, designers and management put in to the product.

It will be interesting to see reviews of the Taycan’s software and user interface.

Reactions: Scott7
Range is still crucial if you want to track that car. P3D can barely do one hour continuous lapping or 3 20min sessions with a fully charged battery. Unless Porsche install their fast charging posts in the paddocks, Taycan will suffer from insufficient energy to enjoy a track day. If you don’t want to track your car, then what’s the meaning of spend so much money on Taycan instead of Model S?

Reactions: Scott7 and VT_EE
Range is still crucial if you want to track that car. P3D can barely do one hour continuous lapping or 3 20min sessions with a fully charged battery. Unless Porsche install their fast charging posts in the paddocks, Taycan will suffer from insufficient energy to enjoy a track day. If you don’t want to track your car, then what’s the meaning of spend so much money on Taycan instead of Model S?
It depends how efficient it is at track speed then. The 2 speed transmission should help and it does have a larger battery than the Model 3. It’s not really in the same class as the Model S. Large luxury car vs. mid size sports sedan. I wouldn’t be surprised if some tracks get CCS chargers for them, Porsche owners have lots of money and many of them track their cars.

Porsche just released a couple of interior pics. Looks like it will have 5 driving settings and 4 screens :eek: with the passenger getting a display too. Also it has 178 miles at 75%. So that is a pitiful 225 miles of range if the display is to be believed.

Range
Normal
Sport
Sport Plus
Individual

View attachment 445262
View attachment 445263

View attachment 445261

What is that in front of the awfully placed cup holder, a thermos cap? A mr fusion flux capacitor?

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
So I think this whole conversation just points towards that someone should definitely do a thorough in depth video review between the P3D and the Taycan, maybe even the S just to have as a reference even if it isn't directly competing. But make the review fully track oriented. Run the batteries down until they are depleted or over-heating / power limited. I'm excited to see how these cars all compare and also how it brings more competition to the table with EV's more than anything.

Porsche just released a couple of interior pics. Looks like it will have 5 driving settings and 4 screens :eek: with the passenger getting a display too. Also it has 178 miles at 75%. So that is a pitiful 225 miles of range if the display is to be believed.

Range
Normal
Sport
Sport Plus
Individual

View attachment 445262
View attachment 445263

View attachment 445261

How do you check or operate the main center screen sit that low? What are those guys thinking? Form over function?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like a Camelback bladder lid to me.
Looks like it might be some type of rotary selector.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.14.14 AM.png

So much hate... the Taycan looks like it's shaping up to be pretty awesome... like most Porches.

Yeah, I don't really get the hate. It looks like it will very likely be awesome - won't take long for it to take that production EV record at Laguna Seca away from the P3D+. Competition on performance (especially when it isn't actual market competition, so it won't impact sales in any significant way) and visibility for EV performance is good.

It's a multi-dimensional problem, and it's not a comparable vehicle...

Price
Performance
Safety
Efficiency
Reliability
Etc.

Last edited:

Range
Normal
Sport
Sport Plus
Individual

View attachment 445262
View attachment 445263

View attachment 445261
I'm curious how much duplication there will be across screens. From the pictures they released, the passenger side screen is showing the phone, media, and GPS functions. That's not an ideal spot for a driver to be looking for those things, which suggests they'll have to be duplicated on the middle screen as well.

I guess I don't understand why you'd go with a 4th screen over there instead of a larger middle screen like a lot of companies (other than Tesla) have moved to.

I'm curious how much duplication there will be across screens. From the pictures they released, the passenger side screen is showing the phone, media, and GPS functions. That's not an ideal spot for a driver to be looking for those things, which suggests they'll have to be duplicated on the middle screen as well.

I guess I don't understand why you'd go with a 4th screen over there instead of a larger middle screen like a lot of companies (other than Tesla) have moved to.
The passenger side screen is optional and there is also an optional screen for rear passengers! I'm happy with my single screen but maybe Tesla should use the Porsche strategy and have a ridiculous number of options. It will be fun to play with configurator and see what the most expensive Taycan possible is.

Reactions: wenkan

The most redundant item on Taycan is the start button. Why they fart with their pants down?

• Funny
Reactions: TJ73
The passenger side screen is optional and there is also an optional screen for rear passengers! I'm happy with my single screen but maybe Tesla should use the Porsche strategy and have a ridiculous number of options. It will be fun to play with configurator and see what the most expensive Taycan possible is.
I'm not opposed to more screens, but I think it will be depend on how configurable the UI is. If it's able to be completely personalized, then great, but if not, it would be weird to the same thing on multiple screens. It wouldn't add any utility for the passenger to see the GPS right in front of them and on the middle screen.