Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.3 Coming This Friday 10-22-2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For elsewhere, the sales process explicitly told the buyers they'd be stuck waiting on regulatory approval, so they promised exactly what you'd get and specifically pointed that fact out.

My entire argument was based on this get out of jail free card.

This disclaimer was for vehicles sold in the US.

You can pretend all you want that some regions in the US won't need regulatory nods of approval, but that simply isn't true.

The biggest problem the US has in regards to autonomous driving is really the lack of federal based regulations. This lack of federal based regulations makes it really challenging for a manufacture to release any L3 or above vehicle in the US.

The other thing to be aware of is how the NHTSA operates. They tend to have a hands off approach where they only intervene when something is really dangerous. So obviously if a L3 or above vehicle did get released somewhere in the US the NHTSA would quickly shut it down if they viewed it unsafe. This usually means the car manufacture will work with the NHTSA before ever releasing something.

The beauty of FSD isn't that it will work, but that it will help shape what will work. This isn't just from the perspective of technology, but regulatory as well.

That was based on Elons tweets where he clearly specified L5.

Elons tweets are not a purchase contract.

The actual product sold pre 3/19 would be delivered with an L4 product as long as the ODD was not overly narrow.

Just as post 3/19 L2 city streets would complete what buyers were actually sold.

Certainly it's possible Tesla could choose to deliver more, but would not be legally obligated to.

My entire argument was based on this get out of jail free card.

This disclaimer was for vehicles sold in the US.

You can pretend all you want that some regions in the US won't need regulatory nods of approval, but that simply isn't true.

Except, it is.

L4 or L5 is legal right now in multiple US states with no further approval needed

That's a fact.

Being a fact your denial of it doesn't change that it is one.

The only place this "get out of jail free" card exists is your imagination

You don't even know what HW4 will consist of.

The driving computer is specifically what's being discussed.

We kinda do know what that is. 3x the compute of HW3.

And since HW3 lacks enough compute, we know HW4 will be needed.

We have evidence for that, and history would cause us to expect that upgrade will be provided, free, to all FSD owners (but not renters) when needed.

(though it's possible even HW4 will be insufficient- THAT we can't know until the system actually works at L4)

We don't, yet, have evidence of a need for any complex new HW requiring vast costs/changes to the vehicle though.

I’m leaving the buggy 10.3 version for now. It worked about as well as 10.2 for me. But holy crap the 10.3 version was a cluster f for a lot of people. It worked about the same as 10.2 for me this morning on two drives. Musk says rolling back to 10.2 but the software available for me surely does not roll back to 10.2. Too bad they only have a one man external communications department as that guy doesn’t seem to have good info today.😆

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m leaving the buggy 10.3 version for now. It worked abut as well as 10.2 for me. But holy cray the 10.3 version was a cluster f for sure for a lot of people. It worked about the same as 10.2 for me this morning on two drives,

My plan is to leave 10.3 on there right now since otherwise folks are getting rolled back to a non-beta release, and I 100% don't trust they'd roll the right cars back into beta later and don't wanna play the safety score game again to get back in.

My plan is to leave 10.3 on there right now since otherwise folks are getting rolled back to a non-beta release, and I 100% don't trust they'd roll the right cars back into beta later and don't wanna play the safety score game again to get back in.
Sounds dumb and dangerous. You really are hanging out to dry if you damage property or hurt someone for your puerile entertainment.

Your insurance company will have a blast denying you coverage for intentionally operating a recalled version.

Tesla recalling FSB beta ?

So I got 10.3 last night, 2021.36.5.2.

Now I just got a notice that 2021.36.5.1 is ready to install. The version below and
without beta.

What’s up?

Anyone else get this.

I’m ignore the download for now.

Sounds dumb and dangerous. You really are hanging out to dry if you damage property or hurt someone for your puerile entertainment.

Or I could just not drive the car till they push a "safe" version to me.

Seems less dramatic than your idea.

Not everyone has to drive every day or only has a single car.

EDIT: In fact, while you were misunderstanding my post, the download for the non-beta SW appears to have been pulled (it was at about 60%, then when I checked app again was gone entirely) and I'm seeing other posts also saying the nonbeta push was showing as partly done then vanished.

So looks like they were screwing up the rollback (pushing non-beta to beta users) and NOT immediately jumping on it was the correct choice after all.

Imagine that.

If so then likely if one can simply not drive until later today or tomorrow they'll push the 10.2 beta back, or a fixed 10.3.1 or something.

Nothing like lawyers having differences of opinion and this lawyer says my insurance company doesn’t know diddly squat about the self driving software on my car. You give them way too much credit. I was sideswiped by an inattentive driver a few months ago. Do you seriously think the topic of self driving software on our respective cars was mentioned?
So we loose access to the fsd beta version all together?

So we loose access to the fsd beta version all together?

If you install the 36.5.1 yes.

But on my own car, and many others from current reports, that push has been stopped.

So I guess they recalled the recall :)

For those who already "updated" to the 36.5.1 yeah the beta is gone entirely and they're back on production firmware.

Since they pulled the non-beta rollback I'd expect either a "correct" rollback to 10.2 coming soon, or a "fixed" 10.3.1 to be pushed.

Reactions: jeremymc7
This is hilarious. While we are debating the legal consequences of not installing the removal of the Beta, that software has been pulled. Musk said they were rolling back to 10.2 but obviously someone at Tesla sent us the wrong software.

On 10.3 “legally” and loving it. 😆

This is hilarious. While we are debating the legal consequences of not installing the removal of the Beta, that software has been pulled. Musk said they were rolling back to 10.2 but obviously someone at Tesla sent us the wrong software.

On 10.3 and loving it. 😆
Debate is fun. Actual harm is not. Ignoring the rollback after Tesla announced problems with 10.3 is simply unwise.